Photo

No Cataplexy During Interview....thank You, Methylphenidate!

Ritalin Concerta Work Methylphenidate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Prior to treatment, I used to have cataplexy a lot during meetings at work.  I have a lot of anxiety when speaking to groups of people. I'd be talking and my neck muscles would weaken and my head would start feeling like it was flopping over. I'd loose my train of thought because I was desperately trying to calm myself down to stop the cataplexy. I'd loose the ability to find words, my tongue would start losing muscle tone and I'd slur my words. At the same time, I'd be worrying that people could see the cataplexy.  It was a vicious circle of stress that wouldn't stop until the meetings were over.

I've been worried about going for interviews.  I've been avoiding them for quite some time.  But I figured it was time to put myself out there and see if the Methylphenidate is working.

I booked the interview for 11am because I'm on Concerta and that time seems to be when I feel the best.

I prepared myself as best I could prior to the interview: anticipating questions they would ask and thinking of examples of workplace scenarios to answer them.

I walked into the interview and I was nervous at first.  There were four people on the panel for the interview.

I used the old CBT trick to calm myself down: internally telling myself, "It's okay to be nervous, everyone is nervous at an interview!" 

I managed to get through it without any cataplexy. 

I still can't believe it! 

Afterwards, I was told the panel unanimously decided that I was the one.....and I got the job!  I also heard through the grapevine that people on the panel thought my interview was "excellent".

It's such a good feeling to know that the medication is working!  Narcolepsy can be such a lonely diagnosis, and this experience was like finding out that I had the support I needed, when I needed it most.

Don't get me wrong, I still have challenges with my medications. 

But, on interview day, Methylphenidate was my new best friend.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Go you! I know I couldn't interview for a job. In my field, they tend to hit you with a lot of technical questions, and my job hasn't really exercised my skill set that much, so I'm kinda rusty. Add the brain fog and sleepiness and I'm pretty sure they'd be like "Boot this stoner wanna-be engineer out the door." But yea, good job.

#3 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Great to hear! Excellent job, and congratulations!

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

awesome story, thanks for sharing its always nice to hear some good news from time to time!!

Congrats on the new job!  :)  :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ritalin, Concerta, Work, Methylphenidate