Photo

"prone To Depression" And "strange Resistance To Addiction"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Put this down here, in this 'Parapsychology and the Paranormal' section; just out of hesitation of putting it anywhere.!

Article, "From Sleep Study, Clues to Happiness" linked below:

http://well.blogs.ny...s-to-happiness/

Depression is no light matter, yet I find myself constantly stirred up in, and/or by, presumptive shallowness; that is, in regards to the difficulties I have in
participating in so much, the misunderstanding of explanation and the problematics around certain participation.

Why; for me mainly because of Cataplexy but also EDS and more, that all, has to do with just not having the 'same common' interest in typical behavior and/or
activities as well as the 'same ability' to...

Addiction is a terrible thing and it unfortunately fuels so so much, it is used blatantly and with complete disregard yet continually thrown around
(perhaps) like cupcakes at a party, rather than being treated like what it is or can be when problems are related, relating to the addiction/abuse of...

#2 Zalika

Zalika

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Well that explains why it was so easy for me to quit smoking cold turkey like it was nothing & why I never had physical cravings (did have mental ones though) when I did smoke. Can't complain there! :) No physical withdrawal symptoms . . . weird . . . oh well, mystery [possibly] solved!

#3 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

You don't have cataplexy do you Zalika? If you did, you would have gone into rebound cataplexy from the withdrawal of the nicotine.

I'm interested to know how long ago you quit smoking and when you were diagnosed with Narcolepsy...also what other meds you are on now...and how you're feeling.

Why? Because nicotine suppresses REM.

#4 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

You don't have cataplexy do you Zalika? If you did, you would have gone into rebound cataplexy from the withdrawal of the nicotine.

I'm interested to know how long ago you quit smoking and when you were diagnosed with Narcolepsy...also what other meds you are on now...and how you're feeling.

Why? Because nicotine suppresses REM.

Hmm so if I ignore the doctors advice about no caffeine/no nicotine 2 hrs prior to bed, will I be less likely to have HH/SP? They do occur during REM, right? 

I just wonder because last night I kind of thought about having a cigarette before bed (and it had probably been a good hour or more since I'd had one) and decided not to. I had a lot of crazy crazy HH. Like, they were super vivid - I was not in my bed but in my parents (since they're out of town for the week and who wants to be alone in the cold basement?!) so it was super odd that this HH occurred right there in my parent's room. I woke up (not really, obviously) to someone getting out of the bed, and blowing their nose, and then getting back in bed. I was like OMG wth. So I was like who are you?! And they proceeded to play a guessing game with me that included questions, and physical touch and then it turned out to be some girl I went to elementary school with who I haven't seen in at least 6 years. AND this wasn't the first or the last for the night. I had one prior that was not creepy at all - but involved 'seeing' a facebook post (that I didn't see obviously but I literally felt like I saw it) and going to sleep (was all ready asleep) and staying the night with the friend (from facebook) and her family, in her living room, with a three children (she only has two). It was just the most ridiculous crap ever. That one wasn't creepy, but just weird. The third one, after the intruder HH, involved some weird less HH more dream like stuff - something about water bottle commercials and releasing fairies from the waterbottles...wth I know. 

And then I woke up like ...holy crap! And stayed up for about an hour. When I did go back to sleep, I had another HH that was really off putting because it involved my ex staying with me and some very inappropriate (not in any inconsensual way) touching going on... and I literally felt like he was there and I woke up feeling really sad and angry at my brain for playing THAT trick on me. I had only just gotten to the point where waking up I didn't feel like a wreck because I suddenly remember the fact that no one is waking up next to me and my life sucks. [Melodramatic...sorry!]

Anywho. If I need to have 18 cigarettes before bed to forgo that mess, I would do it. But it probably wasn't just the nicotine withdrawals there. Probably the stress of my parents being gone and being broke and single and... just all that stress lol. 

#5 Kriqit

Kriqit

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Learning.
    Science.
    History.
    Computers.
    Senseless stuff.

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:14 AM

When I was a little rebel 15 year old, one day, I literally snuffed out a cigarette and didn't touch them again for 2 years. I started when I was 12. I just kinda got bored with it, or didn't see the point I guess. I ended up starting to smoke again when I started to drink a little more frequently. Now, it seems more or less like the action of smoking benefits me out of habit completion rather than the nicotine intake. I have a pretty regular routine. And sometimes, I use my cigarettes as a timer lol.