Photo

Do You 'have To' Stretch When You Awaken, Or Just Feel Weak?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you 'have to' stretch upon awakening? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

When you awaken, do you 'have to' stretch?

1. Yes (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. No (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Sometimes (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. In the past Yes, but anymore No; it is very very rare only happens when feeling 'well rested'. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Just curious to this question.

I know when I was young, every single morning the first thing after opening my eyes, would be a big and slow stretch as I stood up.

That has been lost though for years now, rather now I awaken in bed and basically have to roll, or slowly get myself, up and off.

Very rarely, maybe a couple or few times a year, do I feel the need to stretch like I used to; it was a good, actually a great, feeling and was the best way to start the day.

I do force myself to stretch often, and at times during mid sleep awakenings I'll get out of bed to do stretching exercises (which helps me get back to sleep), but that is most definitely not at all the same thing...

No idea if persons without Narcolepsy, lost or maintain such, with age?.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

No, because I think I don't have the energy for it to occur to me naturally. I probably should tho, because with the benzo sleep I've been gettign lately, I nearly fall down when I get up at first.

#3 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Yes. When I wake up, it's a big, full-body stretch before I even get out of bed, often followed by another once I'm standing up. Also, anytime I stand up after sitting for more than 10 minutes or so, especially if I fell asleep. If I don't stretch, my muscles just feel like lead weights, so I think of it as waking them up.

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

I force myself to stretch.  When I wake up my muscles are very tight and heavy, and stretching helps wake me up enough to get up.

#5 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

If you must force yourself, or you do it on your own will, that is different from 'having to' naturally.

I stretch often throughout the day, but the 'having to' stretch naturally, like having no control over having to, seems long gone unfortunately for me... :(

No worries, regarding answers to the question.

I consider some daily meditating and stretching (even very brief, 5 minutes, more is better of course) to be hugely valuable, like eating well, for health...

Thanks for the responses.

#6 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

I don't ever remember a time when I naturally woke and stretched :( but, then again I don't ever remember waking refreshed either.

#7 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think I might have been 19 the last time I woke up refreshed.

#8 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

I don't normally stretch 'naturally' when I wake up. But on occasion, it happens. More frequently, I might do so in bed, while laying down. I don't usually do so standing up.

I'm interested in the 'more weak' part of your title, though.

I often find that when I wake up, especially from deeper sleep, that my muscles just feel like lead. I don't know if this is normal. But it's something I mentioned to my neurologist, and I think I've mentioned it here before as well in some post or another.

But it goes away once I start moving around. But it almost feels like cataplexy, because it starts out with my muscles feeling heavy, gradually they begin to feel weak, not so heavy and more like jello. Which is something that I sometimes feel when I have mild C attacks, especially prolonged or sequential. 

#9 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

@ DeathRabbit: I lost it around that age too, prior it seemed an almost every day thing perhaps, yet that was around 15 years ago so remembering such specifics is a long shot yet a few years back I noticed that I nearly ever need that refreshing stretch -> I would awaken and either in bed, or as I stood up, just have to stretch my limbs out real slow and perhaps often along with a big slow yawn - I do miss it...

@ Examino: What I experience, referring to as 'weak' in the title, is for me somewhere maybe more similar to Sleep Paralysis.  I tend to experience Sleep Paralysis really only during Hypnagognic Dreams. 

What I experience often, is perhaps just an 'intense lethargia.'   That description of 'muscles just feel like lead' fits.  I do find forcing myself to stretch out and, basically, immediately showering helps it dissipate; I always then go straight to drink my glass of water with lemon squeezed in, and then for a walk to get coffee which takes usually around 20 minutes and is probably around a mile...

Almost each day I'd rather remain in bed longer though, and could (I sleep typically within the range of 8-9 + hours a night with some awakenings); but knowing that if I remain in bed too long that my neck will hurt and lead to a for sure headache, and/or I awaken due to that specific combination occurring....

#10 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

I only rarely awaken naturally (not counting random awakenings or waking up to go to the john), usually if I'm on vacation ... and usually after sleeping long enough that it's a headache that wakes me up. On some very, very rare occasions I've woken up naturally and without a headache. Feeling refreshed really has nothing to do with it, since I don't remember the last time that happened ... if ever.

The big stretch when I wake up isn't something I can't control. It's just all my muscles feel like lead weights, and stretching makes them feel better. I can ignore the feeling and get up and go about my day, but then I'm just going to be miserable until I reach a point where I find myself stretching without ever consciously meaning to. And there have been times I've realized I was stretching even as I was waking up, so not really consciously in control of it ... until I make that realization, and then I could stop if I wanted to, but don't generally want to. I just feel so much better when I do stretch like that--not more awake or more alert, but more in control of my own muscles. Like I said, it's like waking them up, too.

Anyway (Jeez, I use too many words!), no, I don't "have to" stretch, it isn't a motion I'm not in control of ... but I'll be damned miserable if I don't do it.