Hello im 16 years
1st I am very grateful for this site because i was just looking through the forums and i clicked on a question about education because i barely at the begging of my junior year (Im a junior) got diagnosed. I found parents talking about a 504 plan and benefits you receive if you have narcolepsy.
this is of great interest to me because my grades never exceled even though they could because i was just so tired and had very bad memory and my grades were only minimum as in just passing .
i only got diagnosed because i decided to give it my all jr year in hs because i decided to follow my goals. and begging of jr year i noticed my symptoms werent normal for healthy ppl so i looked into with it my dr and got diagonsed and am currently on meds.
Sorry for my background info but i just have questions i really would like to ask here.
18mg I noticed that some of the meds ive tried (1st nuvigil and then concerta 18mg and now ritalin 20mg 3 times a day) is that i lose track of time very easily and almost always . As in take forever to do one page of hw that should not take 2 hours . this has affected my grades at times for hw and assignments because i dont end up finishing them .
another very recent example is that i pretty sure i failed the taks test (11th grade jr yr) just a few weeks ago because i did not finish a large portion of the test by 4:30pm and the assit principal didnt want to give me more time bc he said he wasnt required by law and needed to go home. i have nothing against him bc he doesnt know me personally but i was testing in a large gym and the only clock was behind me at the bck so i lost track quick .... BTW i live in texas and taks is standarized test everyone has to take.
so i was wondering if bc i have narcolepsy ( w/o cataplexy)
- could i get extended time for my assignements and tests ?????? ... because i want to apply to ut austin and texas a&m for aerospace engineering nxt yr. so grades this yr are critical
- i have very disappointing gpa of 2.9 bc of my frshman and sophmore yr and i wish i would got treatment earlier bc i know i can do better w meds ... extremly better too but is there anything i can do about that??? i dont think so bc damage is done but ill ask just in case i could bc gpa is everything to ut and 2.9 aint much ....
i was able to raise it in one sems this yr to 3.0 gpa unweighted and my rank isnt good either bc my school is very large about 4500 students in total . i attend duncanville hs in texas... one of the largest in the nation so i heard .. rank is top 30% in my class of 850 students.... so i can only improve my gpa so much in one yr ... which makes me sad that i didnt get diaganosed earlier .... and this is the last yr to improve gpa....
- is there anything i could get like sitting at front of class ?
- if i dont have cataplexy can i still get a 504 ?
- How can i get one bc i want get it asap bc time is crucial and im preparing for the act next month so i really need a 504???
- any help would be deeply appreciated bc im really trying to pursue my dreams no matter what...btw will they look at my grades this yr bc i got almost all my classes straight a's