Photo

Can You Have Narcolepsy Without Cataplexy?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 nike0518

nike0518

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Looking back I might have a very mild cataplexy..
But I hope it doesn't progress (no offense)

#22 nike0518

nike0518

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Also does anyone know if my sleep stages healthy?

#23 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

also i wanted to just add that i was reviewing my copy of my first sleep study and saw that the  sleep stages in % section 

• n1- 17.1%
  • n2- 39.6%
  • n3- 42.4%
  • r(rem)- 0.9%

now im shocked i only have .9 % rem and i have literally 0 of n4 ... now  does anybody know if thats bad / not normal ????

i thought mayb the n4 is included in n-3 but on the 2nd page is shows the data( graph) and yup no stage 4 at all 

i only hit rem at one point in the graph and the graph just took a straight dip to rem breifly  and then back n-2 and n3 and never hit rem again....

anybody can help explain how bad this effects my eds?

That actually looks like you have too little REM. Doesn't seem like N judging by that info. Then again, I had a normal amount of REM on my PSG, my N2 was like 70% of my sleep and I only spent like 8 min in N3. But I had SOREMs in my MSLT so, I had the N book thrown at me. However, looking back at your first post, you had no SOREMs either. Based on that, I'd say the N diagnosis is most likely bunk. I would get a second opinion for sure and for certain because your doctor has completely thrown the diagnostic criterion out the window. I hope you get answers soon. I'm still looking myself. I don't necessarily disbelieve my own N diagnosis, but it only encompasses some of my symptoms, so I'm thinking there's still an underlying pathology causing N or an N like condition.

#24 nike0518

nike0518

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well on the second sleep study with cpap my rem was improved to from (. 9) percent to (6) percent big improvement but I will ask about this to my doctor next week at my appointment

But he also diagnosed me with sleep apnea and I'm on a cpap already sooo yeah

#25 NetiNeti

NetiNeti

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

I don't have cataplexy! My symptoms started around your age and the EDS got worst over time. Also the micro sleeps. The sleep attacks stayed the same though. They are actually predictable day by day. 

I am 26 now, got diagnosed "officially" two years ago. Went to college and graduate school with coffee and well timed naps. My grades suffered in undergrad because I kept falling asleep reading or in class. Or during exams, ha. Be happy you got diagnosed so early! It's rare. 

But your symptoms might get worse, or might not. A lot of lifestyle changes can make it manageable if you have atypical/mild narcolepsy like me. My doctor did some genetic or blood test and I did not test positive for those...but my sleep study and other symptoms are spot on for Narcolepsy w/o cataplexy. Its harder to diagnosis like it has been mentioned before because the pathology for this type is more than likely different.