Hi everyone!! So I am still in the process of going through the "diagnosis dance" as someone else on here called it. I was evaluated at the Cleveland Clinic roughly a month ago by an AMAZING sleep doctor who spent close to two hours listening to my story and trying to nit pick as to what has been going on with me. After telling him about the horrible experience during my last PSG/MSLT, he decided to have me undergo a second PSG and MSLT. He said that my clinical history did not fit the diagnostic results from my last study.
I underwent this sleep study in a hotel not a hospital. This Dr. believes that hospitals are not really conducive to sleeping and that a hotel is more comforting. And, I was able to bring my husband to stay with me in order to ease my nerves. Let me say, what a HUGE difference!! Like night and day (no pun intended). Here's how it went:
- During my PSG, I didn't really have the best sleep. I kept waking up through the night.
- During my MSLT, I know for sure that I definitely slept during four out of the five naps. I'm thinking that I might have slept through all five naps, as the one I'm questioning lasted 35 minutes, and I know if I hadn't have been asleep, the tech would have woken me up at the 20 minute mark.
I just have a few questions for you guys as I await the results of my sleep study:
1. On my second nap, I first had an episode of sleep paralysis followed by a terrifying nightmare with lions in the road. I can depict this dream as if it were real, and it scared me so much that it woke me up. Does this mean I hit REM?
2. I don't remember dreaming during any of my other naps, does this mean I didn't hit REM? I do remember feeling as though I was in a deep sleep though.
3. Is sleep paralysis detected on the MSLT? If so, what does it look like to the tech?
4. During my first nap that I'm questioning if I fell asleep or not, I remember my body feeling extremely "heavy". Is that a sign of anything?
5. Lastly, although my tech said that he couldn't tell me if I fell asleep during any of my naps, I asked him if there was good enough data for the Doctor to be able to figure out what's going on with me. He replied that there was good data and yes, he thinks they will be able to figure out something. What does that mean?