• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dasikins

dasikins

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Ponies, my pups, learning, laughter

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Some maybe have already read my story.  Some maybe not.  I will try and keep this quick.

Not working now to due to my EDS, which I have had for about 12 years.  Same symptoms as everybody, but finally after a move for my finace I realized I needed to take the time to figure out what was causing it.  I guess when I was young I thought 'oh it's just me.'  Every doctor I went to would day 'oh you have mono or do you have a B12 shot?'  Finally I made my presence known when I turned 31.  Same stuff everyone goes through: primary care does a blood test, psychiatrist, then an endocrinologist, then a rheumatologist, then allergies, then a PSG, and now a MSLT which is scheduled in 2 weeks.

During this period I was seeing a psychiatrist for depression.  I have always had some sort of depression.  The meds make me rather apathetic, but the low symptoms are controlled.  This time, however, after we moved I did my research and found someone with great ratings in the professional and patient market.  She mentioned ADHD.  Hmmm, funny I have those symptoms.  Once I was diagnosed 2 months ago I spent my days obsessively researching about the medications and disease.  Learning I probably have these symptoms from something else, Narcolepsy or IH, I started reviewing medications.

Even for people without fatigue, many people with ADHD have discovered a tolerance.  That's how I learned about Memantine.  It's the concept of using an NMDA antagonist for cross up regulation.  You will see a lot of information on the web for 'druggies' trying to reverse their tolerance or control it. My research has been on maintaining it for individuals who need it, ADHD or narcoleptics.  

My doctor prescribes it for these reasons and will be something I try down the road, when my diagnosis is clear.  

I haven't seen anyone discussing it here and wondered why.  It seems, it would be the most beneficial for people like us.  

#2 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

That's fascinating, I'm going to have to look this up.

I didn't know there was any drug that would be ale to do that...

I've been having problems with my Nuvigil, and I'm at the max dose now and falling asleep more often again.. I really don't want to cycle through a lot of medications to keep my EDS under control.

Thank you for the information, do you have any specific articles that discuss it? If not, that's okay, I'll do some research. I'll post if I find something good that others might be able to use. 

:)

#3 dasikins

dasikins

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Ponies, my pups, learning, laughter

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Yah I do, but they are on my other laptop my fiance just took to San Francisco.  If you search NMDA antagonist receptor in google you will see the scholarly articles.  I would ignore the forums like drug-forums.com, musclemilk.com, act though.  This is not suppose to assist in getting individuals high nor does it reverse a tolerance.  It needs to be titrated first just like any other medicine.  

I don't know how it works with Nuvigil, but it works for regular ADHD stimulants.  Since Nuvigil is working with the CNS I would assume it does the same thing.  That's why I brought it up.

This is the forum I first stumbled across when I was diagnosed with ADHD.  The thread owner is the one who spoke to me about his usage.  He is in med school now and has taken it for 3 years.  He just made an update.  He gave me a lot of good scientific papers on it, which I am going to share with my psychiatrist, although she already prescribes it. 

http://www.addforums...light=memantine

When I get the papers back I will share them.  Also, financially it's like paying for Nuvigil without a diagnosis.  You need Parkinsons to have insurance fill it.  My doc indicated her patients order it from Canada.  

I will get you more info, but check out that thread.  There is enough to get you started.  He no longer accepts questions so please don't contact him personally.  I will update my findings as soon as my laptop is back.