Prefer Traditional Stimulants? Might Want To Look Int

distinct decline in rx

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

hello freinds

so as to make this clear to all this concerns, those here who would find it catastrophic were no wakeful producing med save the 'vigils available.  skim over the postings for the last 10 years or so you will note a decline in stimilant rx'ng aside from 'vigils.  connect the dots.  we might have a problem.

#2 dasikins

dasikins

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Ponies, my pups, learning, laughter

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I am new to all of this but can you explain this a bit more?  I am a little confused as to what your point was.  Thanks!

hello freinds

so as to make this clear to all this concerns, those here who would find it catastrophic were no wakeful producing med save the 'vigils available.  skim over the postings for the last 10 years or so you will note a decline in stimilant rx'ng aside from 'vigils.  connect the dots.  we might have a problem.

#3 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

sure, as you might learn soon if you do not respond well to nuvigil, a newr med, the next thing you will likely be given will be a 'traditional' stimulant such as methlyn, an amphetamine.  an unknown percentage of people here including respond to amphetamines and are happy with them.   you will note if you spend enough time investigating that the incidence of their being prescribed is distictly fewer and fewer over the years.  just log on to any given forum this one tas etc., enter 'adderall' (mdnicine = mixed amphetamine salts)into a search you will note a distinct decline in their being rx'd.  you will also note an increasing incidence of the drug nuvigil being rx'ed and then after no respnse nothing else being rx'ed except perhaps methlyn.  the decline may suffice to say that adderall may no longer be available at some point even as it yet remains in th formulary as most all md's then in the future dont conider rx'ng them anymore. did that seem to make any more sense?  it may very well be that you dont respond to nuvigil or provigil and then youre in a pickle simply because your md is one of the ones even now not willing tho adequately explore the 'traditional' options.  a query regarding this may be a good way to prevent it as thereafter the md knows you are not ignorant the existence of these. 

i hope this helps.  likely its way too vague for that.  me at the keyboard is similar to a neanderthal man, recently thawed back to life, behind the wheel of a car in rush hour in terms of how well things are about to go.  i push a shovel for a living.  

#4 dasikins

dasikins

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Yes thanks-I am on them now actually

#5 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I really doubt they will ever go away. There are too many people who couldn't get any help from the Vigils (like myself) . Also, they have myriad other uses, such as ADD treatment for example. But there's a good reason doctors don't like them for a permanent solution. First off, of course, is the dependance. Whereas, the Vigils show little to no dependance, trying to go off traditional stimulants is a painful titration process with some never being able to quit them. Secondly, they've been linked to neuronal death and a general breakdown of the brain's reward system with chronic usage. I know for a fact they rewired something in me, because beforehand, tea, coke, energy drinks did nothing to me, but now if I have anything with caffeine in it, it feels like I mainlined crack. I also feel like my emotions have been neutered as well, but I think that's actually just the fatigue. Stimulants have their place in treatment of EDS, don't get me wrong. But there are also legitimate concerns, due to the bad reactions some people have to them. Leading with the Vigil treatment first is just a safer bet, and I dare say it would always be the starter EDS treatment if it weren't for the $$$ it costs. But yea, the only real risk of stimmies ever going away is if big brother schedule 1's them. Yet another reason to end the war on drugs.

#6 Rainbow

Rainbow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

I am pretty upset about the rational behind the prescription in my case, because the doc would rather write out the prescription than write me off work!  I am collecting disability so now the stimulants get me up and out of bed, but then I will be hooked on stimulants to support myself financially too.  I don't like it.  I am forced to go the work route to get my driving permission back.  It is a nightmare, because if I am sound enough to drive then I can work but only on stimulants.  I am on day 4 of my trial of dexedrine after being on Modafinil for a year and a half. The modafinil was giving me 2.5 hours twice a day of no EDS, so that is when I would drive and and get stuff done, but that is not good enough for my sleep doc.  I have never had a sleepy driving accident in 20 years.  It is so unfair.  AND he only diagnosed me with MILD hypersomnia (I fell asleep all 5 naps, no REM) and still no permission to drive!

#7 dasikins

dasikins

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

I don't understand how people can use stimulants for narcolepsy or other sleeping disorders.  I am on them now for ADHD and after two months I already have a tolerance. It takes two weeks to get situated on them and then two weeks of great results with reduced side effects and then poop out.