Eye Dryness/contact Lenses Issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mckenziee

mckenziee

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Is anyone having extreme eye dryness/irritation from contacts?

esp after (10-50min) naps either they get extremely uncomfortable when i blink (like there's something on my eyelid) or my contact is literally pushed to the side of my eye...? I just started wearing contacts about 4 mths ago... and ive gotten to the point where no matter what contact i try, after the first couple days of getting back into wearing contacts instead of glasses, my eyes become extremely irritated -the white of my eyes are all redish, are SUPER DRY, (when i go to put them in in the morning, they sting slightly)

Even though i'm not even wearing my contacts, during the night and in the morning it bothers me  how dry they are!!!!

#2 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

i dunno. best bet might be the contact lens forum.  by the way do you have 2 bro.'s d. & j. and your mom s ha bro a. and sis h?  call your gd m. if so, it does not matter what has you silent for months. 

blood is thicker than water (=fam. 1st)

#3 lkl

lkl

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

Many medications can cause dryness, including dry eyes. Are you using a dry eye/liquid tears eye drops? Often it can take trial and error to find the best eye drops for you, but make sure you check, that the ones you use are safe to use with contacts.

#4 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

I used to wear contacts. Never renewed my prescription 'cause ... well, I've been lazy and not gone to the doc. If your contacts aren't the kind you can wear while you're sleeping, you need to make sure you take them out before your naps. Even 10-15 min naps will leave them and your eyes way too dry, and in that condition the contacts can actually scratch the surface of your eye, which can make it feel like there's something in your eye. Only thing you can do to relieve it is take them out, clean them, use eye drops to fix the dryness of your eyes. If you're lucky, you'll be able to put the contacts back in later. Usually, though, you'll have to wait until the next day.

Best fix of all would be to get the kind of contacts that are designed to be worn even when sleeping. You can still take them out at night, but you won't have as many problems if you take a nap with them still in.

#5 sleepwalkingmama

sleepwalkingmama

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

I have this problem. Take them out for naps, don't shower with them in, and get some good resetting drops and moisturizing cleaning fluid.

#6 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

I use the kind you can sleep in. They get dried out occasionally but not like the ones I used to use.

#7 e.lena

e.lena

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Healthy lifestyle, exercise, being independent forever!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

I have the same problem. I use Blink contact lens rewetting drops all the time. I can't sleep in my contacts (even for 15 minutes) because it is too painful to pry them out of my eyes. My advice is to keep your glasses and your contacts case and solution with you at all times in case they get too uncomfortable. I have tried all other lens rewetting drops and nothing compares to Blink.

#8 celeste

celeste

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Beading, graphic novels, music

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

I used to wear contacts, but stopped within a year or two of starting narcolepsy meds (at the time, it was Provigil and amitriptyline).  My eyes were too dry.  I considered this to be a side effect, similar to dry mouth (also a problem for me).  Falling asleep with the contacts in didn't help, either.  This was 8-10 years ago, and my contacts weren't designed to be slept in.

#9 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

I wear contact lenses -- 1-Day Acuvue Trueye.  When you're sleepy, you're not going to blink.  There's a drug called Restasis for dry eye.  Hope this helps.

#10 willers

willers

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

I wear contact lenses -- 1-Day Acuvue Trueye.  When you're sleepy, you're not going to blink.  There's a drug called Restasis for dry eye.  Hope this helps.

thanks didn't know about that drug.

#11 Chemist

Chemist

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

I have always had dry eyes and eventually I just gave up on wearing contact lenses. I don't regret it. I say just give up the contact lenses. If you really think you look hideous in glasses, consider getting LASIK. There's also evidence coming out now that contact lenses adversely affect the corneal nerve leading to even further reduced tearing.