Photo

Hemochromatosis(High Iron) & Narcolepsy Symptoms

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Hemochromatosis(High Iron) & Narcolepsy Symptoms (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Have Narcolepsy and High Iron (Hemochromatosis)?

1. Yes (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. No (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

Do You Have Narcolepsy and Hemochromatosis w/o Cataplexy?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (10 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

It's come up in some of my bloodwork that I have A LOT of Iron in my blood at the moment. I don't really know the exact # but the doctor actually thought my parents were giving me Iron supplements because of my levels. I only eat red meat a couple times a month. I have yet to look into this any further, but Hemochromatosis (or high iron) can give you extreme and constant fatigue. 

Does anyone else with N have high iron? If you have N and high iron are you cataplectic or non cataplectic? 

#2 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I don't have hemochromatosis, but when I donate blood my iron level are normally in the upper range of normal. The only time I ever went above normal I was quite dehydrated. I have mild cataplexy, and moderate, but manageable EDS.

#3 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I have N w/o C, and no hemochromatosis. My primary care doctor has been doing fasting bloodwork on me every 3 months for the past year, because of some other vitamin deficiencies and a borderline cholesterol count she noticed in my yearly physical, but there's been no mention of any issues with Iron. My next appointment is at the start of March, so I'll try to remember to ask about Iron levels.

#4 alixq

alixq

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Law Enforcement
    Emergency Management
    Crocheting
    Singing
    Forensics
    Biology
    Genetics
    Cyber Security
    White Chocolate Cappuccinos
    Bacon Cheese Burgers
    Dinosaurs
    Weight-Lifting
    Naps
    Natural Disasters
    Tattoos
    Baby Giraffes
    Computer Programming
    The Giving Tree
    American Horror Story
    Dexter
    Orange is the New Black
    The color pink
    New tooth brushes
    Fancy Pajamas
    Dalmatians
    The number 7.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

I have N + C and ferritin serum is 5x the max levels. I have not had any genetic testing done yet to see if I have it although I know it runs on my mothers side. You have to have the genetic defect on both side of the family, if it is just one you are just a carrier. If you are a carrier your children should be tested. 

#5 Potato

Potato

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

It's come up in some of my bloodwork that I have A LOT of Iron in my blood at the moment. I don't really know the exact # but the doctor actually thought my parents were giving me Iron supplements because of my levels. I only eat red meat a couple times a month. I have yet to look into this any further, but Hemochromatosis (or high iron) can give you extreme and constant fatigue. 

Does anyone else with N have high iron? If you have N and high iron are you cataplectic or non cataplectic? 

I imagine you know this already, but if your iron levels were higher than the reference range then you need to have additional labwork done because it's important to know if you do have hemochromatosis since that can eventually lead to organ failure.

One thing worth mentioning, iron status in the blood does not correlate with iron status in the brain due to the blood-brain barrier and its regulation on iron absorption. It's actually possible to have iron associated restless legs syndrome and hemochromatosis at the same time, surprisingly. http://jnnp.bmj.com/.../76/7/1009.full http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11311689

#6 CheeryBunny

CheeryBunny

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:N with C

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

My iron binding capacity is low and my ferritin is super high. I have N with C.