Photo

Hemochromatosis(High Iron) & Narcolepsy Symptoms

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Hemochromatosis(High Iron) & Narcolepsy Symptoms (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Have Narcolepsy and High Iron (Hemochromatosis)?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (5 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Do You Have Narcolepsy and Hemochromatosis w/o Cataplexy?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (5 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

It's come up in some of my bloodwork that I have A LOT of Iron in my blood at the moment. I don't really know the exact # but the doctor actually thought my parents were giving me Iron supplements because of my levels. I only eat red meat a couple times a month. I have yet to look into this any further, but Hemochromatosis (or high iron) can give you extreme and constant fatigue. 

Does anyone else with N have high iron? If you have N and high iron are you cataplectic or non cataplectic? 

#2 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I don't have hemochromatosis, but when I donate blood my iron level are normally in the upper range of normal. The only time I ever went above normal I was quite dehydrated. I have mild cataplexy, and moderate, but manageable EDS.

#3 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I have N w/o C, and no hemochromatosis. My primary care doctor has been doing fasting bloodwork on me every 3 months for the past year, because of some other vitamin deficiencies and a borderline cholesterol count she noticed in my yearly physical, but there's been no mention of any issues with Iron. My next appointment is at the start of March, so I'll try to remember to ask about Iron levels.