Photo

How Do You Handle Spur Of The Moment Invites?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

So I'm not sure if this is a personal "flaw" or if its all tied into my having N, but I find that when friends and family invite me to things that weren't planned ahead of time or they just spring something on me... It basically makes me a little upset an then I start feeling some anxiety.
Examples: grandparents want to pick up my 2 y/o, they call that morning or just hours before to ask. My friend wants to hang out this weekend, we talk friday and i say ok but she never calls, after I planned for it. Parents ask us out for dinner but its more like hey, come meet us at this restaurant we'll be there in 10 minutes.
I just find it nerve racking and frustrating and wondered if any of my fellow PWN have this same issue. It truly could just be me and if that's the case, then I'll try harder to go with the flow of things. But part of me thinks if could be the N and the EDS that makes being spontaneous impossible and other people's being spontaneous impossible to handle.
I hope that all made sense!
Thanks!

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

I try to go with the flow. I don't always make it out to stuff, but I feel like I'm letting it win if it hampers my life like that, so I do my best to fight it.

#3 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I also go with the flow, if I am to tired I just say no... but like DeathRabbit said if I turn spur of the moments down all the time I am letting the N get the best of me.

#4 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I too, try to go with the flow, but also if it feels as though it will exhaust me in a dramatic way; I weigh the scenario for 'how my balance will be, both during and after,' and then I decide.

Not knowing what the Narcolepsy was for so long yet knowing I collapsed from laughing, I was very stubborn and strict with myself (and I still am) but I believe over-exhausting myself unnecessarily brings real, later, consequence/s (related to the Nw/C and other health matters for me); that has been my experience.

Attempting to find the balance that is most fitting to remain at my best, for the long-term, is my first and foremost objective; although I have an incredibly understanding and caring Mother who struggles along with me.  I do not have a social life nor a career, financial struggles are constant, but I'm thankful for what I do have (recognizing, as much as I can and reflecting upon such, as much as I can).

That is what works best for me.

The all too common misunderstandings and immediate judgements (based on typically one word, shallow-ness) of others (combined with my straight upfront honesty -as to not be, has huge consequences upon me, within, just making everything harder-) in my direction, wreaks havoc upon me.  I've got a lot of good friends, yet it is hard to engage and/or interact with them, often.

Amazingly, they tend to be understanding, once they've either heard deep/broad descriptions of it all, and/or witnessed a Cataplexy episode...

As similar as the symptoms may be for us all, there are also vast differences; it is only you, that can gauge and choose, your proper path.

The best of luck to you.

#5 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Well I was just recently diagnosed so my N doesn't really feel " under control". I feel totally out of whack. So I obviously need to put my health issues first right now. After I am on meds that seem to be working, etc. then I'll start going with the flow and all that. But right now, all I want to do is sleep my life away. I know that's not really the best thing, but I'm exhausted 24/7. But at least I'm working on it.
Thanks for your input guys!

#6 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I feel like I have been doing to much lately and its really caught up with me today.  I almost called out of work so I could just go back to bed.  It sucks it really sucks, I mean I went to bed at my normal time and woke at my normal time, but am utterly out of wack!  You will eventually learn how much your body will let you do, and if you do to much you will end up like I am today.  Today I hate my N even more!

#7 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I have done that before. I dont let myself do it more than once a month though, and I will attempt to go in after lunch if the additional rest helps me any.

#8 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

I have done that before. I dont let myself do it more than once a month though, and I will attempt to go in after lunch if the additional rest helps me any.

Its unfortunate though, cuz its hard for me to slow down.  Hard to slow down until the N makes me screech to a halt! Today has been miserable...

#9 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

The other day I went to sleep normal time, 9 pm and didn't wake up until 2 pm the next day!

My N is just out of control.

#10 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

You'll get there! It takes work, and it takes time, and it's a royal PITA, but you'll get there!

Can't really offer any good advice about last-minute invitations. I'm not a very social person--I'd make a great hermit!--so I don't get a lot of spur-of-the-minute invites. And on those rare occasions I do, they're all very understanding if I have to turn them down because I'm just too tired. Of course, they all also know that, given my preferences, I'd put up lethal electric fencing around my property and never come out again--except, perhaps, to buy neighboring property if it went up for sale and add it to my demesne.