dasikins

Night Eating Syndrome And Narcolepsy?

12 posts in this topic

Oh-I almost forgot to ask.  Does anyone here have Night Eating Syndrome?  I have posted for some help, because my sleep study was ok (have not had the MSLT yet-doc didn't think I should.)  

Just curious!  

yes, i, too, belong to the church of the midnight snack!

not me......i LIKE IT!

Yes, I have SERIOUS night eating problems. I will often consume large amounts of food at night and have little or no memory of it. Sometimes, I only know I've been eating due to the evidence in my kitchen or bedroom. So far, I haven't figured out a solution to this horrible problem...

Well, I have trouble with snacking in general. It's an annoying solution, but I keep no snacks around to avoid this. If you have nighttime cooking then I guess that's another thing, lol.

not me......i LIKE IT!

U like it!?  Doesn't it make you more fatigued in the morning?  Glad you enjoy it-I shall will mine to you!

Yes, I have SERIOUS night eating problems. I will often consume large amounts of food at night and have little or no memory of it. Sometimes, I only know I've been eating due to the evidence in my kitchen or bedroom. So far, I haven't figured out a solution to this horrible problem...

My psychiatrist deals with patients who under go NES too.  She recommended taking a sleeping pill for a couple weeks to break the habit.  She also said a lot of people put locks on their cabinets.

I use to just not buy anything that would trigger me to wake up.  When we had anything, I mean even peanut butter or sugary cereal for the kids when they came over, I would wake up.  

I just started stimulants for ADHD and that is the ONLY thing that has helped.  I never wake up anymore.  Once in a while for water, because they leave you with a dry mouth but not food.  Maybe that is something you could try to help in breaking the habit?  I think part of it is behavorial too like my psychiatrist mentioned.  I have been doing it for...what 12 years and I must of picked up a little habit.

Well, I have trouble with snacking in general. It's an annoying solution, but I keep no snacks around to avoid this. If you have nighttime cooking then I guess that's another thing, lol.

Oh I hear you.  It's a disaster if I have anything that could be good or could be combined with something good-aka sugar.  Brains are WEIRD.

I have a late night snacking problem, definitely. But it didn't develop until I was 18. Before that I had such a crazy sleep schedule that even if I was eating late at night, I wouldn't call it late night snacking - since I wasn't snacking during the day. Anyway.

I think the reason I do this is because I wake up. I don't know why I wake up but I theorize it has to do with REM - I just can't seem to sleep more than 4-5 hours at a time most nights anymore. So when I wake up, I grab a snack, and go back to bed. I don't think I'd have this problem though if I could sleep throughout the night like a normal person. >.<

Are you fully awake when you go down?  I hear yah-I can't stay asleep longer then a couple hours.  

I find that I eating is one of my automatic behaviors. I will zone out, and eat without really being aware of it. It never really happens at night though.