• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 unirok

unirok

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hello,

I have been prescribed  Lyrica & Gabapentin. Do they trigger Narcolepsy or Epilepsy?

I have had periods in the day where I blank out and dont rememeber the
previous few moments but it does not happen very often but it happens.

Also when driving at first I am fine but about 1/2 hour causes me to
blank out for a few seconds and I always snap back grabing the wheel to
avoid swerving off the road. I try to keep alert then my mind starts
thinking about things and i blank out but only for a few seconds.

Today for the first time i blanked out for at least 10 seconds while
driving and I am very scared for me and for others on the road.

I get plenty of sleep but its almost like a constant nod off and they
for some reason it will all of a sudden go away and I am fine? Anyone
know what this could be?

I am 40 years old and this has started within the past 5 years. I do have sleep Apnea but I used my mask most nights

Could I have narcolepsy  and is it simillar>? I am afraid to tell my Dr because this only happens on longer than 1/2 drives and I cant afford to lose my DL.

Thanks

#2 unirok

unirok

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

I forgot to add I take those medications for nerve pain control and they help alot. I
dont feel its falling asleep because it has happened while standing
online at the post office. One minute I was standing on line at the post
office and the next minute I was out of line at the package bin holding
someone elses package???? I had no idea what had happened but I was
fine after that.

#3 SleepySiren

SleepySiren

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Family, Sleeping, not necessarily in that order

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I may be out of line here but as far as I know only a medical professional can tell you if you have Narcolepsy.  If you do suspect you have it though you should speak to your Dr.  You said you have sleep apnea and are being treated for that so perhaps it's a matter of tweaking treatments and getting a better handle on that.  Don't be afraid of losing your license be confident in taking control of your life!  Look at things from a pro-active stance and hopefully things will start to fall into place.  Things can be daunting when we don't know what is going on but we won''t find answers unless we start on our quest to search for them!  You don't have to settle either, if you are not satisfied with what you are being handed because you don't feel it's quite right or that particular health provider isn't treating you with enough attention, look for another, and so on and so forth.  Surround yourself with a team you know is looking out foryour best interests!  You know what your body is telling you and if their answers don't compute it's your right to seek a second opinion!  I do hope you find some answers.  I know what it feels like to not feel "right" and not know why.  Hope you get it figured out soon and get some much needed rest!

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

You may need your CPAP adjusted. I had a friend with OSA and the CPAP made him worse at first because it gave him CSA. They had to give him a bipap that would adjust the pressure when it detected central apnea events. Then he was right as rain! THat's not to say it isn't N, but it's much more likely that it's related to the sleep disorder you already have. Occam's Razor and all that.

#5 unirok

unirok

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Honestly the CPAP seems like its not really doing anything. I dont always use it because I never notice a difference. I am the type of person that expects instat results I guess. The night I used it at the sleep study i did feel more rested but not sure if it was just mind over matter sort of thing. Blanking out and coming back confused not remebering the previous moments is scary. That is one of the reasons I dont drink or do drugs...40 and never even had a beer.  I am afraid I have something more serious than needing a cpap adjustment.

#6 unirok

unirok

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Anyone else? Does what I am saying sound similar to your symptoms? I am looking for people to share information with me. If I indeed have sign or symptoms I will seek help but I am not going to open up a can of worms with a dr and have to go for expensive tests for nothing. At least can someone share how they were diagnosed? thx

#7 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I am afraid I have something more serious than needing a cpap adjustment.

But you will never know that if you don't talk to your doctor!

My mother was diagnosed with OSA and Narcolepsy at the same time, used a CPAP for years. Shortly after we moved to Arkansas, she stopped using it because she couldn't sleep with it on. It took a while, but I finally convinced her to talk to the doctor, who had her retested. Turned out she didn't need the CPAP at all, anymore (she'd lost a little over 20 lbs). Also turned out she was supposed to get retested on a regular basis, but no one ever mentioned that to her when she originally got the machine. And the original test was done because she found herself falling asleep at the wheel, though thankfully it only happened at red lights.

So, I don't know how long it's been since you started using the CPAP, but if it isn't working you definitely need to be retested, and possibly have it adjusted. When you talk to your doctor, that's likely to be the very first thing s/he wants to try and see how it works out before they do any further testing.

And, yes, it is perfectly possible to fall asleep standing up, and even to do so without falling over.

And, my own personal advice, since you know that if you're driving for longer than half an hour you're going to "blank out" and lose control of your vehicle, STOP! Pull over (somewhere safe), get out and walk around a bit. It doesn't have to be long, just long enough to restore your alertness. And do so every half hour. That may mean you have to allow extra time when you're on a schedule, and yes, it's a pain in the butt, but it's better than wrecking your car and possibly hurting--or even killing--yourself or anyone else!

When you go to talk to your doctor, it wouldn't hurt to print out your posts here and take them with you, so you don't miss anything. Your doctor isn't likely to file with the DMV (or whatever the local equivalent is) to have your license taken away, as long as you can tell him/her that you're taking steps to correct the problem (see the paragraph above)--and doing the testing and looking for an answer and appropriate treatment are an important part of that. But, if the police see you swerving off the road and pull you over, you can get a DUI for driving while you're tired/sleepy/sleep deprived. I've more than once had to stop, get out and walk around and had a police officer pull up behind me to ask what I was doing and if I needed help. When I answered, honestly, that I had pulled over because I was tired and having trouble staying awake and I was trying to wake myself up enough to get where I was going, they have invariably thanked me for doing so and told me they'd appreciate it if I continued doing so and they wished others would as well. It was one of them who confirmed for me that if they have to pull you over because you're falling asleep while you're driving, you can get ticketed for DUI.

#8 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

I had never heard of taking Lyrica and Gabapentin together. They are extremely similar drugs from the same class. They both work through the same action, and both have the same side effects of dizziness and sleepiness. 

#9 HiredandFired

HiredandFired

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Doesn't sound like it, honestly.

#10 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

before i begin let's be aware that if you have heart trouble drugs which promote wakefulness most likely cant be rx'ed.  other options exsist.  i think you likely have n. or ih.

we have similar driving experiences.  before dx/tx i found myself 2 times correcting in the nick of time as a suvival instinct/god/angel (i dunno) woke me after i had fallen asleep behind the wheel-once @70mph.

now, after dx/tx my n. symptoms are at least well treated enough to where i can remain wakeful driving.  this required a dx, a + mslt.  w/o the dx you cant get tx so you must be honest/open w/ your md to get dx'ed. 

your(and any) md can order the multiple sleep latency test, or mslt.  in my lay opinion this test gets conclusive results.  most importantly md's will go forward w/tx. once your mlst is +   other tests exsist.  the gene hla test is only definitive for n. w/c.  not so for n. w/o c.  the spinal tap to test hypocreatin amts. is not neccessary to obtain tx once you have taken the mslt-if its+, and i'm confident yours will be+. 

this could be w/rx for stimulants, which of course will be started at the low of the doseaging range.  do not = this w/drug use it is medicinal in both nature and purpose.  there are several.  it may take a long time to find the one that works.  most likely the first will be nuvigil.   

the thing about it is doctors are like criminal defense lawyers. if you dont tell your doctor everything he/she needs to know you likely won't be made well just like you wont get acquitted/get the lightest possible punishment if you keep facts about your case from your lawyer.  both are prohibited by law to tell others info. about their patients/clients.

lastly, asking "what could it hurt?" is a good way to assert the need for an mslt if your md should decline to order one after you ask for it.  don't mention treatment options when asking for the test- or the md may think you are "drug seeking". 

good luck/best wishes.

#11 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

before i begin let's be aware that if you have heart trouble drugs which promote wakefulness most likely cant be rx'ed.

Not necessarily true. My mother has heart problems (congestive heart failure) as well as narcolepsy w/o cataplexy, and when she was still working she took Provigil every day. She only stopped taking it because, as she says, "I'm retired. I can sleep whenever I want!" It depends on what the heart problems are and what other medications you're taking.

#12 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

thanks for the info, munky.

say-how did you put just the one line from my reply into yours, so you could write about/correct it? i just noticed the square around the b = boldface, i must've clicked it accidentally. 

#13 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

You just click on the 'quote' button to quote the post you're replying to, then delete the "extraneous" stuff. Since all I was commenting on was the bit about heart conditions, I went to the end of the quote (inside the little box) and backspaced over everything not pertaining to that. Then you click outside the little box and type your comments.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Symptoms