Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

-

#2 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

get the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing- its on Amazon 

This will tell you everything you need to know.  I am in the process of taking their suggested Vitamin ect... hopefully will see some results!

#3 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I find myself cooking a lot of soups and stir fry with rice.

Using a hand-held blender can open many doors.

Spinach with onion, garlic and herbs; plus a broth.

Sweet Potato like above without the spinach; cumin, coriander and lots of curry plus some coconut milk!.

Tempe is good for stir fry, there are a variety of types; soy, three grain, rice...

Lots of Kale in all salads, some apple cider vinegar and liquid amino (very much like soy sauce, no salt).

Variety of herbs and spices; especially indian spices including turmeric and curries.

I recommend the Edwards & Sons Not-Chick'n or Garden Veggie bouillon cubes...

Smoothies are always good, so a good blender is essential.

Use different oils; sesame, coconut, olive, grapeseed, almond, etc...

#4 mindthegap391

mindthegap391

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:nursing, delta zeta sorority, swimming, running, guitar, piano, singing, crafting, spending time with friends

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I have been gluten free now for over two months and it has been going pretty well.  i did ALOT of research before doing it because im hoping this will decrease the amount of medication i need.  as a nursing major thinking about medication side effects makes me a little nervous about long term stimulant use.  The best things for wakefulness are tyrosine (an amino acid), omega 3s, vitamin B complex. i take vitamins for most of this because im a poor college student that cant buy lots of fresh fruits/veggies.  Leafy greens and lots of meat are good! also magnesium I read was supposedly a factor in energy level! :)  The cross contamination can still be a factor. I know in resaurants I have to be careful about what I order because even things in the fryer that arent made with gluten cant be eaten because the oils contain gluten from cooking other products in it.  My boyfriend isnt gluten free so we cook all of his stuff on seperate pans/pots if they contain gluten.

Being gluten free has also made me a boss with the slow cooker.  I make chilis and soups quite frequently so that i can have them for meals on campus.  for dinner ill make stir fries (gluten free teriyaki sauce is really good!!), salmon, chicken, green beans, carrots, etc.  small meals are better because bigger meals tend to make me more tired

I eat a lot of snacks too and try to drink water frequently to keep my blood sugar/blood pressure stable.  smoothies are a good snack too for when youre home and want something somewhat filing. some gluten free snacks i eat are: gummie fruit snacks, almonds, cashews (i like making my own trail mixes too!) fruits (apples/pears/peaches/oranges are nice and easy to pack!), string cheese, muddy buddies (chex mix are gluten free and most hersheys chocolate), gluten free pretzels (actually not that bad!) banana chips and more!  i also made mini gluten free corn muffins with chocolate chips today from scratch so i can have breakfast on the go.  not too shabby.  hope that helps!!

#5 lalpiger

lalpiger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, and traveling

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I'm a gluten-free narcoleptic. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy about nine years ago, and just a few months ago was diagnosed with Celiac Disease after blood tests and a scope. If you're a narcoleptic, I'd strongly suggest trying the gluten-free experiment--what a lot of people don't know is that narcolepsy and Celiac are both linked to mutated HLA genes, and Celiac is an autoimmune disease (and there's lots of research suggesting that N is too). So if you've got one AI disease, you're more likely to have another. Anyway, a study has recently been done that has linked Celiac and N, saying that people with N have a much higher rate of Celiac than in the normal population. So, try gluten-free, and if it helps to alleviate your N, stick to it religiously. It may be that, not only goes gluten-free make you less sleepy, but that you also have Celiac, as I found out.

As for vitamins, I just take a typical multi-vitamin. You're not really losing any nutrients by going GF, if I understand correctly. Most of the stuff we eat that contains gluten isn't really necessary to maintaining a healthy diet. All the important things, like meat, veggies, and fruit, are still safe.

#6 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Narcolepsy with Cataplexy is associated with a mutated HLA gene, and looks, based on recent research, to be autoimmune triggered.

Narcolepsy without Cataplexy can, in some cases, be related to the same gene and possible autoimmune trigger. But this is not true for everyone with narcolepsy w/o cataplexy. In fact, a fairly high percentage of people who have narcolepsy w/o cataplexy do not have the associated gene, and no one has yet been able to determine just what causes narcolepsy w/o cataplexy in those cases.

Anyone who does decide to try a gluten-free diet should discuss it with their doctors. Diet, and changes in diet, can have a major impact on medications. Dosages may need to be adjusted to account for dietary changes, and this is true of all medications, not just those for narcolepsy.