Desoxyn Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lilbrez51

lilbrez51

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Hi to everyone, I have been fighting to get my Dr. to prescribe Desoxyn for about one year now. Last thursday my Drs. nurse called and told me I am finally going to be able to try it! I only have about three hrs. a day that I am productive now as the amphetamines are not working anymore. Here is the thing, I am nervous about this med. I do not know anyone who has tried it. If anyone out there has could you please let me know what you think about it? I would really appreciate it.

#2 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

depending on the dose of amphetamines you were rx'ed, you are already familiar w/effects of desoxyn/methamphetamine as they are essentially the same as those of amphetamine/adderall/gen. adderall. methamphetamine is about 1/2 the molecular weight of amphetamine, so 1mg desoxyn=2mg amphetamine if you dose dose not reflect at least this amt. your response may not improve. this applies to individual dose.

also dexoxyn is shorter acting so there should probably be an increase in how many doses per day. you/your md may wish to start methlyn, the shortest acting of all stimulants 3 1/2 hr. half life, as days final dose after dinner so as to have it out of your system/below minnimum apsorbtion at bedtime, thus averting insomnia. you may find, as i do, that wakefulness after supper in not possible w/o stimulants. if not, disregard methlyn content of reply.

how much adderall were you rx'ed?

#3 lilbrez51

lilbrez51

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I was taking 20mg.xr @ 8am and 11am.,also 20 mg. regular @ 8am, 11am and 2pm. I took the same amount of adderall and then ritalin also. I switched back and forth about every 6 ths. because the med. stopped working. I have high hopes for desoxyn. I just hope it is not a big let down. Thank you for your input.

#4 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

...so your exsisting adderall regime = 100mg/d (xr20mg x 2, ir20mg x 3/d). you mention switching to methlyn every 6 months, then back to adderall the next 6 months. my md and i were doing the same thing for the same reason. it worked to some extent.

methyn is shorter acting than adderall. it takes more methlyn than adderall through the course of 1 day to maintain wakefulness. the 1/2 life of methlyn is 3 1/2 hrs it's 10 hrs for adderall. therefore methlyn regime amt./d should have been more than 100mg/d for similar reponse, likely in more doses per day to maintain wakefulness.

the 1/2 life of desoxyn is 5 hrs., maybe this factor should be taken into consideration when the doseaging of the desoxyn is determined. it should be noted that the molecular weight of methamphetamine is about 1/2 that of the amphetamines, so when switching 1/2 the mg. per dose can be expected to produce similar response, however same will not last as long, just as w/methlyn (an amphetamine).

i hope your session w/your rx'er allows for enough time to ask questions/discuss in detail your rx.

i have found it helpful to work from notes on paper when verbally explaining my concerns to an md. also it can be very helpful when negotiating for high dose stimulants to have a copy of any medical publication relevant to show the md.

here is a link to one high doses are covered on/around pg. 36.

ProgNeurobio52.pdf

just download/print 2x keep 1. highlight the relevant info on your md's copy.

-fyi- the manufacturer's reccomended maximum for 1 day's adderall is 60 mg.

in my humble opinion this amount is way too puny.

it will do absolutely nothing for me taken as a single dose. i have a highly unusual case, perhaps unique.

i am rx'ed 270 mg/d adderall (generic).

you and i are not the only 2 pwn w/high dose tx needs. and we are 2of the lucky such pwn....many md's won't rx anything in excess of the manufacturer's recc. max. amts., although same amts. = guidelines, not rules. the rx'ing of stimulants is defined as "judicious" under standards of medical practice. any amt. an md is able to justify medically is ok for him/her to rx.

good luck/best wishes.

-doinmdarndest .

#5 lilbrez51

lilbrez51

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I now have rx in hand and can not find a pharmacy that carries the desoxyn. However I have found one that will order it and it will take two weeks to get it. The rx is for 3 tabs(5mg) @ 8am and 11am and 1 tab at 2pm. 6 days a week. I will try it as soon as I can get it, I am not sure about the doses. Again, Thanks for your input!

#6 constant

constant

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I tried desoxyn for a few months and liked it at first but I found out I can't take any amphetamines. Adderall and vyvance would make me tired and dizzy if I took them daily. They also raised my heart rate to about 100 bpm. Desoxyn didn't change my heart but after a few months I started getting tired and dizzy from it just not as bad as adderall. From my reading it seems to have less promblems. The only pharmacy I could find that could get it was Winn dixie. It does seem to cause really bad dry mouth and gritting my teeth. When it did work for me it was better than any other meds though.

#7 dasikins

dasikins

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Ponies, my pups, learning, laughter

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hi to everyone, I have been fighting to get my Dr. to prescribe Desoxyn for about one year now. Last thursday my Drs. nurse called and told me I am finally going to be able to try it! I only have about three hrs. a day that I am productive now as the amphetamines are not working anymore. Here is the thing, I am nervous about this med. I do not know anyone who has tried it. If anyone out there has could you please let me know what you think about it? I would really appreciate it.

This is suppose to be one of the smoothest stimulants out.  Keep in mind you will build a tolerance...may want to think about an nmda antagonist