• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm thinking about getting the zeo pro that syncs up with android phones, in order to try to improve my crappy, REMy sleep. But it's 100 bucks and I really can't afford to drop money on this if it's going to be a piece of crap. In looking online, I've seen some people say its snake oil and others say it's the best thing ever. I noticed it had a few mentions by users on here, so I thought I'd ask if the zeo is a useful tool or just a scam. Any opinions?

#2 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hmm.  I've considered the Zeo, but have not had the funds. Plus I have a feeling it is not quite as accurate as it may appear.?

It seems a lot of 'new' hardware will be arriving soon, bombarding the market/s; like perhaps bracelets or armbands.

A swim-like (eeg) cap with sensors would be the 'real deal' of course with a pulse ox and pulse rate sensor.

I purchased a MD300W overnight recording 'Pulse Oximeter' for around $150.  It gives me a graph, table plus analysis of both the Sp02 and Pulse Rate.

Being that I have 'Idiopathic Central Sleep Apnea' which I can not treat with breathing machines, for a plethora of reasons after 9 months(...); it is for gauging on my onw, my conditions.  I've had it a few weeks and am enjoying it.  Now, I just need the 'real deal' sleep device!?

-I do have a 3GS iphone, and I can't tell you off-hand whether these 'apps' work with/on Android, although I'd think there's a good chance. Google.!

Of the two 'apps' below, depending upon what I'm after seeing I vary it up, although I just don't feel either are so, actually, accurate(?). 

They are just sensing, the movements/turns, as such is laying upon the mattress corner. 

'Sleep Cycle' or 'Sleep Cycle Alarm' (has an orange'ish logo) - offers statistics of (basically the movements you make throughout the night) sleep stages, in a graph [Awake, Asleep, Deep Asleep]...  Tells [went to bed / woke up, total time, average total time (__ nights)], the 'alarm' is supposed to awaken you between proper stage (can't say I've used the alarm).

The graph is nice.

'Smart Alarm Clock' (blue clock logo) - offers an interesting feature which is recording moments of sounds throughout the night (have had two or three grunt and/or mumble recordings which gave me a laugh!), this also provides this in graphs along with what they word 'Phase Graph' [Deep, Light, REM] (the graph compared to 'Sleep Cycle' above, is less fluid and large straight lines rather; sort of prefer the others graph personally).  I think this one definitely provides more than the 'sleep cycle' but who really knows?  I can say they both, at the beginning each night, start in the REM zone; they show something accurate perhaps...

An article though which strengthens my discomfort of having such (even though it's not specifically what the article discusses) in my bed:

http://www.theindych...-sleep-problems

-The Zeo, being on your body could be a bit more accurate than either of those, my assumption is that it is more of a full actigraphy -like- device.  For 10 days prior to my MSLT I had to wear an actigraphy watch they gave me then, it picks up heart rate and movements; which the software converts the patterns down into a lot.  This is the sort of newer upcoming hardware, plus software (hopefully comparable to the actigraphy stuff) which may be available similarly to the Zeo price (again a hope), that is if the normal patterns occur of price drops with advancement or 'blockbustering'...

Good luck, ask if you have any questions back.

#3 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

The Zeo actually isn't actigraphy, it uses leads similar to an EEG in a band around your head. Since there are only three, and only across your forehead, no, it is not as accurate as a real EEG, but it does attempt to measure the same sort of brain waves as an EEG. I've been considering getting one myself, but haven't had the money to spare. Since I likely won't have the funds until after my next appointment with the neurologist, I figure I'll ask him if he knows anything about it and has any opinion.

I know there was another user on here who mentioned using the Zeo. The app produces some kind of score to rate your sleep, but from what I've heard the score is basically useless. What could be useful is the graphs showing sleep stages. If you keep in mind that it isn't as accurate as a true EEG and that the results aren't actually medically useful, you might still be able to make some use of the graphs in determining whether or not your sleep is improving.

I also know some people who've used various actigraphy systems (FitBit, etc.) where, as I understand it, you wear something like a watch around your wrist, and it determines what stage of sleep you're in based on how much you're moving. That should work fairly well for the vast majority of people, since you generally don't move much in REM sleep. I wouldn't be able to use it, however, because I have RBD, so when I act out my dreams it wouldn't register as REM sleep. Again, that's my understanding of it. I do know some people who use the FitBit, and they love it ... but none of them have RBD.

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I am about to go all engineer on this and just construct my own EEG. You can build them for under a 100 bucks.

#5 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Like!