uberman sleep schedule

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CATxi

CATxi

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

i stumbbled across a youtube video about the uberman sleep schedule, and got to thinking..would that be good or bad for narcolepsy?

i didnt really read too much on it, but from what i understand is you just take several 20 min naps through out the 24 hour day. you dont sleep a full nights rest just naps. i guess your body will start to just go straight into REM. and since thats pretty much what it already does whne you have N then idk. parts of it seem like they would be usefull and give me more time during the day. right now i sleep for 7 hours at night and then take 3 10-15 min naps so i dont really have much time to do anything. so i was just thinking about it, but idk i may be dangerous with my N. i dont have cataplexy just HH and EDS.

i probly wont try it because this schedule i got going works great and im very happy, but im just curious if it would help or hurt a Narcoleptic.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'd love to give it a shot myself, but you cant really work full time and do that. If narcolepsy ends up claiming my career, that might be something I try.

#3 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

No idea how one could control such, besides I guess having an alarm which begins on its own, go off 20 minutes after you lie down or better yet go into some specific stage of sleep.?

The issue for myself, is that to set an alarm, or just grab one (maybe a kitchen timer would be the best option sitting next to the bed), but even thinking that in 20 minutes I'll get up; results in my brain and/or physical not going into sleep (it at least seems, as I've attempted to keep naps 20 minutes; usually laying there). 

When I need a nap though, I do take it. Yet the result, is often 2 to 3 hours of sleep; afterwards feeling similar to, or near like, having had a full nights rest.

Yet many full nights, being 7-9 hours, will feel like 3-6 hours (at least in comparison somehow to when I was younger and got restorative feeling 7-9 hours of sleep...).

So, I sort of avoid naps, unless it is absolutely necessary in the evening (seems 4-7pm is when I'll take them), or of course if it is earlier in the day I'll take them; I do not like though, how taking a nap in the evening keeps me up perhaps beyond the typical 11pm-2am to 2am-4/5am... 

It's all (continually) a juggle, yet I don't have a career (financial struggles weigh similarly as the Narcolepsy with Cataplexy, having a caring Mother that I can help as she helps me, is near all I can do besides perhaps spew words and contemplate things); really need to get on disability, just have hesitated diving into the void (as it seriously seems pigeoned/black-hole-e).

#4 CATxi

CATxi

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

if i take a nap that lasts more then 20mi ns i wake up more tired then i did before. 15 mins usually makes me feel refreshed. i only take 2 a day now but i think i may add another after i talk to my doctor. 

i was just a little curious if it worked for us. if you have a job its shouldnt be too hard i think you take a nap every 4 hours so if you work 8 hours then you can just take one right before and right after and oneo n your lunch break. i hear it take a while to get used to so you wouldnt want to drive or anything productive for the first week, although i dont know if thats differant for people with nrcolepsy.

#5 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Sounds like sleep paralysis Hell!