Photo

What Were Your Mslt Results & Diagnosis?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

Meh, it's exactly what I told the doctor would happen.  Seems like nothing's ever simple.  Gotta wait for the consult, be told everything looks relatively normal (despite my first PSG results being all over the place), and figure out how to treat my condition on my own.  Fun.  Thanks for all your support and advice, it's helped thus far!

#62 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Meh, it's exactly what I told the doctor would happen.  Seems like nothing's ever simple.  Gotta wait for the consult, be told everything looks relatively normal (despite my first PSG results being all over the place), and figure out how to treat my condition on my own.  Fun.  Thanks for all your support and advice, it's helped thus far!

What answer seems to make the most sense to you? You have previously mentioned events which could be mild Cataplexy. Have you discussed this with your doctor.

For me, even after 2 SOREMs, my doctor was still reluctant to dx me until we began discussing Cataplexy- that was the clincher. The Cataplexy was so clear that it could only happen in the context of N and my MSLT supported an N dx.

If you think you have been  experiencing Cataplexy, then it may help support an N diagnosis.

#63 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Not really; no.  Due to the nature of my visits - that is, people doing their sleep medicine fellowship dealie, much of the actual conversations with the doctor have been through someone else with me listening, and the odd question.  

To me, I feel like N is the correct diagnosis based on my lifetime symptoms, the mild C (which I don't even know if that's what it is!), the quick microsleep attacks.  I feel I couldn't sleep because I was trying too hard and couldn't relax during the MSLT.  When I did, I woke up abruptly and was highly alert for a few minutes - perhaps adrenaline... I've been fighting these sleep attacks for so long, maybe I go into panic mode when I do.  N makes sense, I don't have the whole "woe is me, my life is worthless" symptoms of depression; I have no interest in doing fun things because I'm so damned tired.  I'm generally happy, and don't have anxiety issues for the most part until something bad triggers it, which is maybe once a month, if that.

The tech saw my previous PSG hypnogram and said it was highly unusual, so I really have to wait to see what was on the second one.

Regardless though, wouldn't treatment be the same regardless?  A low dose of provigil to boost my alertness?  As I've stated many times, I really don't want another anti-depressant, I'm really sensitive to chemicals.. SSRI's made me manic, NRI's made me even more tired, and a tricyclic would boost my appetite which is already massive.

Maybe I'm just thinking about things too much.  Thanks Hank.