Photo

Psg & Mslt Done Now Long Wait Till Dr. Appt........ Anyone Know What This Means?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 luckyhunny

luckyhunny

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Hi everyone,

I posted here a long time ago (well, back in May-when you are sleeping terrible it seems like a VERY long time ago).  Anyways, I am no longer seeing my initial sleep dr. anymore.  He basically said, see you in a few months when he said it's normal for a sleep apnea patient using the CPAP machine & it being adequately treated to have EDS.  I saw several doctors since then never thinking to see another Sleep Dr., until my new Rheumatologist referred me to a Dr. who is the greatest & genuinely cares! 

The long of the short of it is this, I did the PSG & MSLT right after.  The sleep tech said I had a "good night's study" after the PSG.  I don't have any results yet.  I slept all night b/c of a poor sleep the night before and I take ambien to sleep b/c since May I have been & it has been helping (hopefully when I get answers that this Dr. is searching for I will be off of it for good and get help with something else).  He didn't have to adjust my CPAP at all & the pressure was right on.  It got really hot in my room that is why I slept not so good at the end, but the tech said I definitely slept well.

Now, on to the MSLT.  I slept 5 of the 5 naps (he verified this) and he said it took me less than 10 mins. to fall asleep each time.  I definitely slept once and was jerking, but paralyzed to wake up.  He thought I was dreaming when he reviewed it & said he would bring it to the doctor's attention, but I definitely wasn't dreaming exactly when that happened b/c it felt like I was awake having a seizure.  The other 4 naps I may have dreamt in, but I don't remember & he didn't tell me anything else.

My doc is now on vacation & he will be reading my test.  I have my exam on the 28th (SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long from now), especially since my sleep seems to be getting worse by the day.

i have read a lot about results for the MSLT etc.... and was just curious if anyone here had a MSLT similar to mine?  I am glad that whatever happened to me during nap 3 was recorded to make sure I didn't have a seizure, b/c I had a splitting headache when I woke up.  I dreamt that the sleep tech saw what happened & came in the room & put the chest strap on me, which never happened.  Like I said, I may have dreamt the other 4 naps, I was so exhausted though I don't remember, possibly total of 3-4 naps definitely dreaming.  Any insight/experience with your results of your MSLT/diagnosis is appreciated to put my mind at ease until this appt.

Thank you!

#2 corey91386

corey91386

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Family, Feeling Better!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

When it comes to the MSLT if you enter REM on 2 naps or more, you fit the Narcolepsy diagnosis. Did you take Ambien for the PSG study? I ask this because I have had 3 studies and for my first study the doctor made me take a lunesta. I switched doctors after and they said that taking a sleeping pill is a big no for the PSG because it can make you sleepy for the MSLT. The goal is to get a good nights sleep and still exhibit EDS and REM. From the sounds of it you definitely have a sleep disorder. The fact that you fall asleep during all 5 naps means you are exhausted. And if you hit REM i would say Narcolepsy is in the picture. Good Luck!

#3 luckyhunny

luckyhunny

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

@Corey-Yes I did take the Ambien.  My dr. told me to b/c he wanted me to be consistent with how my routine is (without Ambien I feel terrible).  I am beginning to feel bad again even taking it (it works 100% of the time but I have noticed a big decrease in how good I feel in the am).  I am definitely exhausted, that is an understatement.  Even without Ambien the night before I can sleep during the day with no problems.  I wish this Dr. appt was sooner, I feel like I am going to lose it before then.  I just want answers & it's so frustrating!  Did you do an MSLT?  What were your results/diagnosis?