• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

For me, it's mostly random, but I tend to feel my best directly after waking up. I'll still be sleepy, but my thinking seems clear, and no headaches or other symptoms. Usually lasts for 10 to 15 minutes, then as soon as I start to wake up some, I begin to feel worse and the brain fog and other issues return. But my worst time of day is almost always late afternoon to early evening. Almost without fail, I will have a huge energy crash and wave of confusion between 3:30 to 6. On the rare case I make it by this timeframe without one, I actually go on to have a good night. But if I get hit, the rest of the night is pretty well shot because I'll be reeling even after the attack goes away and I tend to feel in a daze for the rest of the night.

#2 TiredAgain

TiredAgain

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I get the same way in the afternoon and some days are worse then others. Some times I'm just tired and other days I get brain fog and I sound and feel drunk until I get to fall asleep, and I don't sleep well at all I may only get like 10mins. Like you I'm in a weird place for hours afterwards.

I always say I'm the worse Narcoleptic around because I wake up early and without an alarm 5 out of 7 days a week, when I have the time to sleep I just lay there some times for like an hour before I fall asleep for like 10/15 mins, everyone I know gets more sleep then me. The only things I can relate to the big N is that I'm always tired and during an episode I get brain fog or feel drunk.

#3 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

My worst time is late in my shift on the nights I'm working--which would be pretty much the same as late afternoon, since I work nights. On my days off, I'm back on "normal" hours, and my worst time would again be late afternoon. Then, if I sit in a comfy chair (like my recliner) for more than a few minutes, I'm going to fall asleep. Thankfully, the chairs at work are far from comfy, so that makes it a little easier to stay awake through the last few hours of my shift. If I don't fall asleep, I'm hazy, have trouble concentrating, and will repeat myself if I'm talking to someone, because I can't remember if I've already said something or only thought about saying it. If I fall asleep, it will generally be for a few hours, and then I'll be all right for a while. Can't do that at work, of course, so I get up and walk around a bit, instead. That'll keep me awake and at least semi-alert for a bit longer, long enough to get home anyway, but that's pretty much it.

Not good for me to switch between days and nights like that, I know, but I live in the country. We're working up a garden to grow much of our own food, and I need to get the raised beds built. Plus there are lots of projects that need to be done and can't really be done at night--next one is to build a deck and a small back porch, and fix the front porch. Also need to build a better chicken pen and expand the dog run, and there's still a ton of storm cleanup to do, once the water goes down. (My property qualifies as "seasonal wetlands". Had a big snowstorm, the snowmelt turned us back into wetlands ... and when that finally started drying up, we got rain.) And along with all of that, there's school. Thankfully, that's mostly online and I can do it whenever I want. Only exception is a lab once a week for which I have to go to campus. And if I'm lucky, once I get out of school I can get another job and no longer have to work 12-hour night shifts. I've always preferred night shifts, but I think it may be time to think about working more "normal" hours, instead. Can't do that while I'm in school, though, because I can't afford to lose the shift differential.

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yea, I would bet that the shift work is further complicating the N symptoms. If my sleep schedule changes by more than an hour, I get drastic negative repercussions.

#5 J718

J718

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Unfortunately, my best time is exactly when I should be going to sleep. I have to get up at 6:30 in the morning for work and I'm barely conscious for the first 20 minutes or so. I almost always fall at asleep on the subway (or fall "semi"-asleep, even if I'm standing) and the good and bad times are pretty random until I'm back on the subway (around 6/6:30) when I sleep again. I start waking up around 9 or 10. It makes me crazy. If I wasn't so clumsy from narcolepsy I'd say I should be a bartender instead of a magazine editor...the hours would probably be better for me!

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yea, it depends, but sometimes I can feel myself ramping up around bed time as well. I hate that crap.

#7 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

I used to find 3:30-4:30pm was the zoney, draggy part of the day.  But I've been finding if I eat a protein snack at 2-3pm (yogurt, cheese, etc) it seems to get me past that. I've also experimented with eating my lunch later (like at 2pm) and that works really well too.

I feel good in the morning and after dinner (6pm-ish).  But I get so hungry at night.  I hate that.  I also find I'm too alert in the evening....it's hard to get to the relax and get ready to go to bed stage.  I've been trying to stay off my laptop in the evening and lately I've been turning down my screen brightness in the evening if I am on it. I read somewhere that having light shinging into your eyes in the evening can make you more awake....so I thought I'd try dimming it.

Seems to work, surprisingly.

#8 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

The times between wake up and to sleep are pretty wretched for me (rougly 8am-10pm).  The worst is 8am to 3 pm.  

I hate, hate, hate mornings.  I hated them even when I was a little girl.  When I go to sleep, I know I'm going to be just as exhausted when I wake up because of the dreaming.  If I get less than 10 hours of sleep, I'm pretty useless, but the world doesn't indulge me this way, though I try my best to get 10 hours of sleep every night.

The best time.  I normally have weird alertness right before I sleep.  I still feel wretched and tired, but not mentally groggy and feel more attentive.  I don't usually have problems falling asleep, but will have a weird energy burst before then.

I know I'm on the narcolepsy fence right now so I feel kind of weird still commenting in narcolepsy discussions, but thought I would mention it.

#9 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

It's all good. Since your symptoms are the same, I don't really think you're out of scope.

#10 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Yea, it depends, but sometimes I can feel myself ramping up around bed time as well. I hate that crap.

I am the same way, all of the sudden I will feel awake... like a normal person awake right around 9:30 pm! Its so frustrating.

Mornings used to be the worst for me before Xyrem, now I usually am a foggy and groggy around 2:00 and that last till about 9:30 :( So, I pretty much spend my only half awake time at my thankless job! 

#11 TiredAgain

TiredAgain

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

dormir

what do you mean that you are on the Narcolepsy Fence Right Now?

I feel like that a lot but I have been tested and it clearly showed I have it, so I was wondering if you have been tested?

#12 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

DeathRabbit: 

thank you for still letting me participate!  I think I can learn a lot from you all while I'm awaiting official diagnosis/treatment.  I'm sorry for hijacking the thread.

Tiredagain:

I had an inconclusive sleep study.  I don't know how my PSG went yet, but I only slept 3 out 5 naps, no REM sleep.  

My doctor wants me to try an actigraphy watch soon and will try to rule in or rule out narcolepsy or other things based on that.  I still feel I have symptoms of narcolepsy like nightly vivid dreaming and vivid dreaming during naps, EDS, SP, HH, falling asleep where/when I'm not supposed to, possibly mild cataplexy but my doctor doesn't seem totally convinced about that though I have no reason to invent it. I don't think my doctor is convinced anymore even though he suggested it initially because of the MSLT results.

#13 TiredAgain

TiredAgain

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I think you have more symptoms then I do. I fell into REM 4 out of 5 naps all under 5mins and one time in a half a minute. But I think it's not a true test of our sleep habits. Walking around, watching TV, reading etc.. trying to stay awake makes you feel more tired. If I was home feeling tired I would not have fallen asleep all those times. Half the time when I get home from work and have the time to lay down it can take me an hour to fall asleep and then I'm up 10mins later.

#14 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Yea, I would bet that the shift work is further complicating the N symptoms. If my sleep schedule changes by more than an hour, I get drastic negative repercussions.

Sort of. It's really the switching between schedules on my days off that causes me problems. I've always slept better during the day than at night, but I can't build a deck/porch/chicken coop at night ... Despite the fact that I sleep better during the day, I've considered switching to a day shift just to regularize my sleep schedule, but right now I can't afford to lose the 10% shift differential, because it's what's making it possible for me to pay for school. Once I'm finished with school, though, I'll be looking for another job that is far more likely to be "normal" hours--and possibly work-from-home, too!

#15 tracyannjones

tracyannjones

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

I'm definitely more awake at night. I've always been a "night owl" and since I've recently screwed myself up with modafinil I can't get to sleep much before 6am.  Before the modafinil experiment I was going to sleep around 2 or 3 am. I start to feel "normal" after midnight. I used to work a 3pm - 11pm shift which was pretty much ideal for me, but when I got promoted I had to move to a more day-time shift (10am ish to 6 pm ish) and it was really hard to take. For the last couple years I've been freelancing and working part time evenings in a restaurant so I can keep more of my old schedule. I'd love to be awake during the day like regular people, but it's never been natural for me. That brings me to a question I've been wanting to ask others, though... Is anyone else afraid to go to sleep at night? I don't know if it's because I'm so used to struggling to stay awake during the day, or because of the frequent nightmares, or because I never know when I'm going to wake up again, but I think part of my insomnia problem is that I can't bring myself to fall asleep unless I'm too utterly exhausted to stay awake any longer.

#16 TiredAgain

TiredAgain

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

I hate the vivid dreams, I hate waking up thinking something happened that didn't. More then once I started to say something to someone and stopped myself right before because all of a sudden it would pop in my mind that it might have been a dream and this could be the next day.Then I have to think hard about it to figure out if it was real or a dream. The only positive thing is I haven't actually said anything yet that came from a dream, I've always stopped myself.

I sleep terribly but I can't wait to go to bed, I'm ready by like 9:00. But then there are nights that I can't fall asleep of hours, but I'm not so awake that I can get up and do things like Dr's suggest. On occasion I do sleep through the night, but it doesn't make a difference I still wake up tired. So I'm not scared to go to sleep. But I do have issues around sleeping at night. I think my issues come from the fact that I'm always looking at the clock and saying to myself why can't I sleep and wake up feeling refreshed like other people do.

I'm happy to hear others with issues around not sleeping, because most of the time I'm thinking I don't have N because everyone with it is always sleeping. I wake up every morning usually before my alarm goes off. I fall back to sleep but 9 out of 10 times I wake up in time without hitting the snooze button.

#17 MissRae

MissRae

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Writing, Working with youth, Crafts, Cooking, Baking, Learning about new cultures, Meeting new people, Serving others and Christ through the gifts and abilities God has given me.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

The hardest times for me, tend to be when I'm least active. I work a constant split shift and have a break most days between 9:30 and 3:00. That used to be the times that I would get most of my "daily stuff" like school, errands, meeting with people, etc. done. Now I find that 2 - 3 days of the week I go home and nap, and by nap I mean sleep 2-4 hours. Even then I drag myself out of bed to go back to work. I try 20 to 30 min, or even 1 hour naps, but my brain goes so far under that I feel like I'm still sleeping when I'm up. I've even dreamed about getting up, dressed and ready for work. Often, I just keep myself busy and especially away from the house so I don't want to sleep.

While I usually come off my meds (Nuvigil) around 10:00 pm and crash soon after, sometimes though I'm sleepy, I can still feel my brain working at things. I think that's the ADD though, because usually if I lay in bed and work on a word puzzle, read, or play a game on my phone I can wear it out and fall asleep. I've noticed though that I tend to sleep in 4 or 6 hour increments, so sleeping more is very hard and just makes it worse.