• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lunamaria

Lunamaria

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:art, history, anime, & stuff

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

So recently my younger sister knows I have narcolepsy and recently made me read her favorite children's book- which is now my new favorite- it's called "The Mysterious Benedict Society" by Trenton Stuart. I bring this up here because, as she gave it to me she said, "This book is the reason I knew what narcolepsy even was." Mr. Benedict, the adult leader of a group of genius orphans, is narcoleptic (as said in the book, he never calls himself a PWN). Initially I thought it was being played for laughs, but then I liked it, because though he would fall asleep at very inopportune times, it made his two assistants very worried about him and he himself mentions how it's something to live with, that he just deals with. (He's also probably the most intelligent person in the book.) His sleep attacks, though, seem more like a cataplectic sleepiness attack-as in, he laughs too hard and he falls asleep. I was wondering what you guys' take on this book series' depiction of narcolepsy was, or if you guys had read it.

#2 AnnieJoy

AnnieJoy

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Ecology
    Environmental Toxicology
    Epistemology
    Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

So I read this book in middle school and when my fatigue in high school became horrible I went through a laundry list of what all it could be. I mentally crossed out N because "I don't feel like Mr. Benedict..." HA! Now looking back on the stories... I do. 

#3 lkl

lkl

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

A little while ago, a read a book called, Dream a Little Dream by Sue Moorcroft. One of the main characters has narcolepsy, and I think the book does a reasonable job of portraying what it can be like to live with narcolepsy. 

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/1906931909