Carpooling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CMurray

CMurray

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

I live in the suburbs of chicago and unfortunately there is NO bus system that goes through my town. I live 15 minutes from school but if I can't find a ride I take a bus an hour out of the way and then a train for 15 minutes just to get home. I was carpooling with a friend this past semester and paying gas money but he took advantage of our agreement and made me pay outrageous amounts of money. There are other friends I'd prefer to carpool with, but I feel like such an asshole asking for rides all the time. How can I explain my situation to someone when asking for a ride without making a fool of myself? And how do I do it in a way that's fair to both parties? I don't want to burden anyone, and I also don't want to be ripped off.

#2 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

I've never lived in or around Chicago, so don't know how much this will help.

My mother was diagnosed with Narcolepsy several years ago, while we were in Texas. We both worked in Austin, but lived in a small town. She worked "normal" hours, and I worked nights, and there was no way we could carpool together. Nor was there any bus service running between our little town and Austin that worked for her. However, the transit company did offer a "vanpool" service. She looked into that and found one that she could meet a little less than halfway between home and work, so that's the route she took. She still had to drive some, but 15-20 miles was a lot better than 50 miles, and what distance she did have to drive, the traffic wasn't as bad as in Austin. There was a monthly fee that the driver collected, but the fee was set by the transit company and split by the riders, so the more people in the van, the lower the individual fees.

You might want to look for something similar in your area. It does mean riding with strangers, but if you try it and don't like who you're riding with, you can always drop out.

#3 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

We have something similar in VA, its called park and ride.  Everyone parks in one spot and then everyone Carpools from there.