Scheduled Naps And Nocturnal Sleep

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stoic

stoic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

I've been doing scheduled naps for a couple of weeks now and have noticed significantly improved nocturnal sleep. I was finding my nocturnal sleep was extremely fragmented and I could get as little as 3 hours each night.

I then started doing 3-4 scheduled 10-30 minute naps throughout the day. I've noticed I now mostly sleep through the night and am sleeping from 6.5 to 8.5 hours each night.

Has anyone else experienced this too?

#2 SeeBee

SeeBee

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, gardening, online gaming, crafts of all kinds, and the pursuit of knowledge.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Not quite in the way you have...I take one 10-20 min nap in the early afternoon every day, to stave off EDS. It doesn't seem to affect my nocturnal sleep at all. How interesting that it's done that for you, though!

#3 stoic

stoic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Not quite in the way you have...I take one 10-20 min nap in the early afternoon every day, to stave off EDS. It doesn't seem to affect my nocturnal sleep at all. How interesting that it's done that for you, though!

Yeah, quite surprising. There's a few other variables at play, so I'm not sure if the improved nocturnal sleep is directly due to the naps yet.

The naps have also helped me be more sensitive to my EDS too. I notice every 90-120 minutes and that heavy fog comes over me. A quick nap resets it, but it always comes back.

#4 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

I take a scheduled 20 minute nap every 4 hours at work. Right now, that means 1 nap halfway through my shift, though in a few weeks I'm going on 12-hour shifts, so there'll be 2 naps.

I haven't noticed any effect on my regular sleep, but I have noticed a huge effect on my EDS. Had to miss naps two nights last week, and it was nearly impossible for me to stay awake through the whole shift. I had at least 1 sleep attack that I'm aware of. And I had to take a nap in my car before I could drive home. The naps don't feel like they're doing much for me, I don't wake up feeling refreshed, and I was beginning to wonder what use it was to give up my lunch time for a nap when I could be reading or studying or doing homework ... but the results of missing those naps on those two nights have made me a believer. I'll do everything in my power to not miss them again.

#5 Pkay

Pkay

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Designer/Electronics Tech.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

the best sleep I ever had was working at home and doing the multiple alarms thing at night. Set an alarm every 90 minutes wake up, go back to sleep. Then do 3 x 20 minute naps during the day. A neurologist had me try it and it did wonders.

You may try doing the multiple alarms thing for a week or so and see if it works for you.

#6 stoic

stoic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

the best sleep I ever had was working at home and doing the multiple alarms thing at night. Set an alarm every 90 minutes wake up, go back to sleep. Then do 3 x 20 minute naps during the day. A neurologist had me try it and it did wonders.

You may try doing the multiple alarms thing for a week or so and see if it works for you.

Wow that's really interesting. Will have to try it some day!