Sugary Foods

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 angeline

angeline

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hi! I'm wondering what usually happens when you have the sugary foods at night before bed? What about for dessert around 7pm? Does this affect narcolepsy or cataplexy symptoms the next day?

#2 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hi! I'm wondering what usually happens when you have the sugary foods at night before bed? What about for dessert around 7pm? Does this affect narcolepsy or cataplexy symptoms the next day?

For me eating anything with caffeine close to bed time or even after 2:00pm effects my night time sleep... so no choc chip cookies ect ect... I have not noticed anything as far a sugar though. I know that as a PWN we are supposed to avoid excess sugars and simple carbs.

#3 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

For me eating anything with caffeine close to bed time or even after 2:00pm effects my night time sleep... so no choc chip cookies ect ect... I have not noticed anything as far a sugar though. I know that as a PWN we are supposed to avoid excess sugars and simple carbs.

Most chocolate has very little caffeine. Even that with the greatest concentration has less than a cup of coffee. There is the addition of theobromine in chocolate. Theobromine is a very mild stimulant that tends to be metabolized very slowly.

I actually tend to sleep better if I have some caffeine before bed. I dream less, and don't wake myself up as much.

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Most chocolate has very little caffeine. Even that with the greatest concentration has less than a cup of coffee. There is the addition of theobromine in chocolate. Theobromine is a very mild stimulant that tends to be metabolized very slowly.

I actually tend to sleep better if I have some caffeine before bed. I dream less, and don't wake myself up as much.

I have always been super sensitive to caffeine... even with Xyrem I cant fall asleep if any is in my system... My dad who is not a PWN is sensitive as well. One Choc Chip cookie is all it would take for me to lie awake for an hour!

#5 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I have always been super sensitive to caffeine... even with Xyrem I cant fall asleep if any is in my system... My dad who is not a PWN is sensitive as well. One Choc Chip cookie is all it would take for me to lie awake for an hour!

I don't feel caffeine at all usually, but I think it's interacting with the Xyrem in a weird way. I was famously known as the guy who can sleep thru anything, despite anything back in my early days of derp. One time, I chugged two 24oz Monsters then promptly took a 4 hour nap just to prove to my roommate I could.Now of course, a pin drop in the next room wakes me up for the rest of the night.

#6 sleepywriter

sleepywriter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:baking, cake decorating, writing, running, spending time with my family

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I notice a slight energy boost but then a hard crash later. It makes my nighttime sleep become more fragmented, even though I'm on Xyrem. Any time I've wondered why the heck I've been so tired, I can look at my food journal and see that I've been consuming more and more sugar. Either that or I've been playing on my phone at night instead of sleeping. (Shh, don't tell my doctor :))

#7 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

I don't feel caffeine at all usually, but I think it's interacting with the Xyrem in a weird way. I was famously known as the guy who can sleep thru anything, despite anything back in my early days of derp. One time, I chugged two 24oz Monsters then promptly took a 4 hour nap just to prove to my roommate I could.Now of course, a pin drop in the next room wakes me up for the rest of the night.

I can drink a pot of coffee or a pile of redbulls and go straight to sleep. I have even taken 20mg of Ritalin and ended up back asleep. Sometimes it even seems that I sleep better if I have had some caffeine.

#8 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

For me, I have always been able to drink caffeine and still be able to sleep. I'll have a coffee right before/during class, and still fall asleep. Or I'll have a redbull that I'll be sipping on for an hour or two before bed and still sleep just fine. I've been a soda addict for years now, though. So I think I've just built up a tolerance to caffeine. However, once I started taking Nuvigil (especially when my doctor upped the dosage to the max) I did begin to notice that if I have a coffee in the morning (within a couple hours of taking my nuvigil) that I do feel a buzz or I guess 'jittery' is a good word. Soda doesn't seem to affect it though. 

As for sugar, I don't really eat a lot of it normally. But I do have a period of days (probably has to do with my menstrual cycle) where I crave sugar/chocolate. I don't know if it affects my sleep though - I've been known to wake up and eat a candy bar and go back to bed. It may be the sugar, or my meds, or whatever. I never had fragmented sleep until a few years ago. But now it's pretty regular that I'll wake up once or twice during the night - usually I go pee or grab a snack and go back to sleep. Not sure if it might be from sugar - it could be, I'll have to try and keep track! It all started when I would get up and snack, and since then I've just gotten in to that habit. :/

But I just wanted to add that I think whether sugar/caffeine affects sleep is really dependent upon the person. Those with a higher tolerance to caffeine, or sugar, are probably less likely to have abnormal effects. However, it is also more likely the person would not attribute any possible abnormal sleeping habits/behaviors to sugar or caffeine, as they consume them more often, and usually will have done so for years.

People who are more sensitive to caffeine or sugar (generally those who don't consume them often) will have abnormal effects (such as fragmented sleep, etc) and will also notice these effects more readily and are much more likely to attribute them to sugar or caffeine. Since they don't indulge often or on a regular basis. 

In general, I do think that abstaining from any kind of stimulant, such as caffeine or sugar, within a couple of hours (at least) before bed is a good idea. I do believe that even those with higher tolerances to these substances experience some effect (even if it may not be as pronounced, or perhaps not abnormal since they have formed a tolerance, or habit). However, I can't say that I actually follow this rule. I probably should consider it, you never know what might help! With N, it's so important to have a healthy sleep schedule and to stick with it consistently. Though, life does tend to make this easier said than done. 

#9 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

I can drink a pot of coffee or a pile of redbulls and go straight to sleep. I have even taken 20mg of Ritalin and ended up back asleep. Sometimes it even seems that I sleep better if I have had some caffeine.

If it was during the day I could take a nap after having a ton, its just my night time sleep that gets all sorts of messed up from it.