Using Xyrem When Alone With Baby?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kyethra

kyethra

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

I take Xyrem and I have a baby that will be one soon. I took xyrem throughout my pregnancy and breastfeeding. Every year my husband goes to a work conference for about a week. This leaves me alone with the baby. Last year I slept at my mom's house but it was hard because I have dogs and they had accidents. (My family could stay with me, but I don't have enough space to sleep both my mom and my brother, who lives with my mom and she can't leave him alone at night). I could get a babysitter to spend the night, but that is pricey. Or I could sleep on xyrem during the day, I figure, and be able to be alert at night but this means I can't work that week and it messes up my sleep schedule. Is there a good alternative here? I don't think I feel comfortable with the baby depending on just me while I am on xyrem since it leaves me pretty groggy when I do get up with him while it is in my system it is mostly just to say hi and hand him a bottle or give him to daddy. I tried sitting with him in my lap, but I dropped him when I fell asleep so I can't do that. I don't want him to sleep in the bed with me because I am afraid I'd smother him. Right now he only wakes up once during the night many nights, and I'm hoping he sleeps through soon. But some nights he can be up three or more times if he is teething. Maybe once I get back on provigil that will make a difference, but I have been off while breastfeeding. I just wanted to see if anyone else had a good solution.

#2 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

An overnight babysitte can be awfully pricey. Do you have a friend who would be willing to stay with you at night and take care of those night-time baby chores for that week? Perhaps someone who has children, but can leave them with their other parent? Or someone who's thinking about having a child? In the former case, they'll already know what to do. In the latter case, they'd get a free taste of what they're in for. So, it'd be a win-win all the way around! And if you cook, you could offer a home-cooked meal every evening just to sweeten the pot.

#3 SunshineSong777

SunshineSong777

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

talk to your doc about switching meds love, it will be hard. xyrem is extremely dangerous- drs cant even prescribe it to people who live alone-i just had a baby too- im stunned u took it through pregs? im having an awful time too- but i would NOT take it

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

The thing with Xyrem is you can wake up, but it is not pleasant... a quick bathroom break is one thing... but you wont be able to rock or feed your little one... being awake on Xyrem makes you sick to you stomach, and fighting to stay awake makes it worse.

You could just take that week off from Xyrem, I mean your night time sleep will be terrible and you will be tired during the day (it will suck!)... could just drink some energy drinks to get you through it?

As long as its just a week you should be fine... I would call Xyrem and see what they say about starting back up... Not sure if you could just go back to the full dose after being off a week or not.

#5 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

talk to your doc about switching meds love, it will be hard. xyrem is extremely dangerous- drs cant even prescribe it to people who live alone-i just had a baby too- im stunned u took it through pregs? im having an awful time too- but i would NOT take it

I have heard of a lot of mothers taking Xyrem while pregnant, they seem to be closely monitored by their doc and do not take it during the first tri., And pumping and dumping while nursing. I think its a mothers choice. There have been many accounts of healthy happy babies as well, and no account that I am aware of to prove otherwise.

As for living alone and taking Xyrem... you can do that too. I do! I am sure they dont suggest single mommies to though :)

#6 kyethra

kyethra

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have heard of a lot of mothers taking Xyrem while pregnant, they seem to be closely monitored by their doc and do not take it during the first tri., And pumping and dumping while nursing. I think its a mothers choice. There have been many accounts of healthy happy babies as well, and no account that I am aware of to prove otherwise.

As for living alone and taking Xyrem... you can do that too. I do! I am sure they dont suggest single mommies to though :)

Yes, I did take it through my pregnancy and one of the reasons I did was because I am a much healthier and more functional person on Xyrem. I also have fibromyalgia and before i was Xyrem I was alwasy ill and on so many meds for things like muscle issues and if someone looked at me crosswise I would come down with something. I am extraidorinarily better on Xyrem. And I didn't even pump and dump after the first couple of weeks. Our pedi thought it was ok to save the milk as long as the xyrem was out of my system. I am so glad it is just this one week a year!

#7 SeeBee

SeeBee

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, gardening, online gaming, crafts of all kinds, and the pursuit of knowledge.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Is there a specific time in which he's more likely to wake up in the night? I ask because a friend's 18 month old always wakes up a few times before 1 AM, but then sleeps soundly until 7. If your baby is consistently like that, you could talk to your doctor about taking just one dose a night for a week. It certainly won't be fun for you, but would be better than no Xyrem at all. As someone posted earlier, having a friend or family member there would be the absolute best, but I understand that sometimes, that's just not possible.

Definitely talk to your doctor, though, and see how he feels about you taking just one dose, or going off completely for a week. I've gone off it, and started full dosage again without consequences (not by choice, meds got held up by Customs) but I may be the exception, rather than the norm. If you drive, you may want to be extra vigilant about monitoring your sleepiness, or else take public transportation if you can.

Also, please, NEVER bedshare with your baby as long as you're on Xyrem. Most mothers have a natural sense for where their baby is, even while asleep, but Xyrem strongly suppresses that sense.

Hope this helps, and that you find some sort of suitable workaround!

#8 The~Crazy~Lyfe~Of~Me

The~Crazy~Lyfe~Of~Me

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

I feel you pain my husband works night once a month and I questioned how I would take care of our two year old while on xyrem. And really you just have to play it by ear. My son wakes up every night at 2 so I make sure I need to take my second dose around then. Sometime he doesn't go straight back to sleep so I don't take the second dose and we fall back to sleep together and my day still works out fine. Is your baby in a child still or a toddler bed? My son goes to sleep in his toddler bed but when he wakes up I let him sleep with me and I'm 7 months pregnant. I just make sure there's a pillow behind his back and a pillow in between use. I've been co-sleeping since my son was born and have continued to do so after starting xyrem. And I have a bassinet co-sleeper for my daughter. Anything is possible you just have to figure out what works best for you. Try a dry run while your husband is time and just have him sleep in another room. That way if you need help his there. Practice makes perfect!