• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

I find that often times either then N or my stimulants seem to make socialization difficult. During flares up, it just seems like my affect becomes really weird, and of course I get the aphasia thing going. Like, being drunk, I find when I'm really derpy, I want to tell everyone I love them anytime they do nice stuff for me. I've had to stop that one on the tip of my tongue several times. In general, it just seems like a I become a social klutz. I think part of it may just be self-consciousness. Anyway, it makes it really hard for me to want to hang out with my friends. Anybody else have similar issues? I was socially awkward to begin with, so I didn't need the brain fog making it worse!!!

#2 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Yah, I have this.
I just got home from hanging out with some friends who don't know me well. And on the way home I am kicking myself for being scatterbrained and not speaking clearly (can't find the words) and being impulsive by talking too much, or seeming weird because I'm too focused.

I actually feel like the stimulants are just too darn stimulating. It's hard to slow down and feel relaxed. I feel like i'm ON all the time. I just want to chill out. But I can't.

I'm starting to feel like i just need to turtle and stay away from people for awhile.

#3 SleepyRaffie

SleepyRaffie

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

I find that often times either then N or my stimulants seem to make socialization difficult. During flares up, it just seems like my affect becomes really weird, and of course I get the aphasia thing going. Like, being drunk, I find when I'm really derpy, I want to tell everyone I love them anytime they do nice stuff for me. I've had to stop that one on the tip of my tongue several times. In general, it just seems like a I become a social klutz. I think part of it may just be self-consciousness. Anyway, it makes it really hard for me to want to hang out with my friends. Anybody else have similar issues? I was socially awkward to begin with, so I didn't need the brain fog making it worse!!!

Yes to the aphasia thing. People get worried really quick when that happens. Sigh. I have been told I act weird. I think that my affect changes significantly. I also have a tendency to tell people exactly what I am going to do in the order I plan to do it. I imagine that that is pretty annoying. I am really trying to watch that. I also get confused really easily. The hard part is this all comes before I feel sleepy so I wind up putting my foot in my mouth more often than not. It feels like my brain just disappears for a bit. All of this is better after a nap. My friends seem to take it pretty well though.

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Glad I'm not the only one! I mentally kick myself in the junk after almost ever social interaction these days. I just feel like I'm wrong. MY emotions are wrong, my verbage is wrong, my reactions are wrong, my ideas are wrong, etc, etc...

#5 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Glad I'm not the only one! I mentally kick myself in the junk after almost ever social interaction these days. I just feel like I'm wrong. MY emotions are wrong, my verbage is wrong, my reactions are wrong, my ideas are wrong, etc, etc...

I feel ya, I actually havent been social in awhile... had school as an excuse, now that I graduated... I need to get back out into the world, but I am dreading it! Its like I cant really figure out anything interesting to say? Now that I cant really drink it makes it much worse!

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I feel ya, I actually havent been social in awhile... had school as an excuse, now that I graduated... I need to get back out into the world, but I am dreading it! Its like I cant really figure out anything interesting to say? Now that I cant really drink it makes it much worse!

I still drink a little. It's prolly dumb to do so, but I make sure it's all out of my system before I dose myself with the X

#7 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

I still drink a little. It's prolly dumb to do so, but I make sure it's all out of my system before I dose myself with the X

Oh so do I, but I used to drink a lot more then I do now. Now its one glass of wine or one beer... its lame! Tonight I am celebrating my graduation so I may have more then one... in that case I will only take the second dose of Xyrem. I used to go out and have fun, stayed up late ect ect... But now I cant stay up late or even drink at home. Oh well.

#8 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Oh so do I, but I used to drink a lot more then I do now. Now its one glass of wine or one beer... its lame! Tonight I am celebrating my graduation so I may have more then one... in that case I will only take the second dose of Xyrem. I used to go out and have fun, stayed up late ect ect... But now I cant stay up late or even drink at home. Oh well.

I know, I miss drinking too. Too bad I dont live in Colorado or Washington or I'd have other options for relaxation.

#9 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

I wish I had some advice to offer, but I don't. I've never really had any social skills. I'm about as antisocial as they come without being an actual criminal. Hell, my lifelong dream is to somehow make a ton of money so I can buy out all my neighbors and fence off everything in about a 500 acre radius around my house and only leave to pick up supplies twice a year at most. I was born to be a recluse ... and it's awfully difficult to be one in this day and age. Costs too much, for one thing!

But it looks like there are others here who have had the same or similar experiences, and perhaps you'll get some good advice from them. The only thing I can think to offer is remember, it isn't your fault. It might take some time to figure out how to cope or how to work around the issue, but you can do it. Just because you sometimes feel derpy doesn't mean you are derpy.

And also remember, you can always vent here.

#10 novacat

novacat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:horse back riding, hiking, eating chocolate, sleeping, helping others, learning things, music, guitar sometimes, hanging out with my dog(:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

I know exactly what you're talking about. Thank God I've found some friends who kind of accept my derpiness when I'm really not feeling good. Even on medication I feel like Im in a fog a lot so its hard to really talk or be fun and all that. It kinda sucks a lot. I usually avoid people when I'm really feeling a flare up aka when I haven't really slept enough, because that's when Im really really sleepy and spacey and irritable. And that's when cataplexy really kicks in so things get real awk real fast when people don't know I have narcolepsy. But I have a couple friends who know and they're really good about it so I just thank God I have them and they watch out for me.

#11 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I was supposed to go out to a Christmas party last night for a restaurant I used to work at (when i used to be fun) I decided to paint my living room instead, and regret it today when everyone post pics and talks about how great it was...

I cannot seem to force myself out and about anymore... going to a store is a huge outing for me! I miss friends! its hard for many reasons... 1. Im tired 2. I cant get motivated cuz I am tired 3. I hate leaving my dog home by himself cuz I already work all day! I dont want to be a homebody but, I just cant seem to help it!

URGH!

#12 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

I was supposed to go out to a Christmas party last night for a restaurant I used to work at (when i used to be fun) I decided to paint my living room instead, and regret it today when everyone post pics and talks about how great it was...

I cannot seem to force myself out and about anymore... going to a store is a huge outing for me! I miss friends! its hard for many reasons... 1. Im tired 2. I cant get motivated cuz I am tired 3. I hate leaving my dog home by himself cuz I already work all day! I dont want to be a homebody but, I just cant seem to help it!

URGH!

Host stuff, then! It's what I do.

#13 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Host stuff, then! It's what I do.

I would, but since I left the social world... it seems like my friends left me? I wish I could say f-them I dont need em... but I do :unsure: Its my fault for withdrawing but, its just hard to make so much effort... when it takes all I got to just work these 40 hours a week!

#14 naplover

naplover

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

I know how it is. I missed out on a lot by being very shy growing up. And then I've had multiple health issues since age 18 and missed out on the typical college/young adult experience. I moved to a new city for graduate school and haven't made any good friends. Everyone I know is in a long-term relationship...and I'm just by myself. The few times that I do meet up with people, I have trouble making conversation if I haven't had enough sleep and regardless I have trouble coming up with words when talking.

I'm 24 now and feel so far left behind.

#15 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

I know how it is. I missed out on a lot by being very shy growing up. And then I've had multiple health issues since age 18 and missed out on the typical college/young adult experience. I moved to a new city for graduate school and haven't made any good friends. Everyone I know is in a long-term relationship...and I'm just by myself. The few times that I do meet up with people, I have trouble making conversation if I haven't had enough sleep and regardless I have trouble coming up with words when talking.

I'm 24 now and feel so far left behind.

This story is me almost exactly. I was shy most of my life and then when I got ready to crawl out of my shell, my sleep issues got in the way. I did finally manage to get in a relationship for the first time in my life at age 25. I feel like a crappy boyfriend though and our relationship has been hindered by both my health stuff and the fact that she can't find a job in my town and our schedules make it so we only get a few days together each month.