Visiting Japan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Saturnia

Saturnia

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'm planning to go to Japan in the spring, and I just found out that all stimulants are illegal and it's strictly enforced. I take Desoxyn, and nothing else I've ever taken has helped, even a little bit.

So, am I basically barred from ever going to Japan? Or is there a way around the stimulant prohibition? (It includes prescription medications, and the information specifically mentions methamphetamine and amphetamine/Adderall)

Has anyone gone to Japan with your stimulant medication? Did you have any problems, or were you able to have it?

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

That's an absurd regulation. They'd never get away with banning wheelchairs. How close-minded of them. However, speaking purely academically and I am in no way recommending this course of action, I'm betting one might be able to get a small amount of undeclared stimulants through customs if one were shrewd about it. But, still hypothetically speaking, one might not find the risk worth it, as Japan doesn't seem to care if both one's arms will fall off without a controlled substance. If one were found with it, it's off to the pokey for months on end while they chase down every aspect of one's life to make sure one is not a drug pusher.

There's a possibility of obtaining special dispensation from the Japanese consulate, but from what I understand, any sort of amphetamine is a no go. I wonder if it might be possible to get NN to contact them on your behalf. A request from a multinational support network would certainly carry more weight, due to the threat of bad press upon denial.

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

The more I read about this, the angrier I get. Yes, if you need to go, I would highly suggest making an official stink about it. It might not result in you getting your way, but if enough people make waves, they'll listen. Many of the major Japanese cities have economies completely built around tourism, so if they perceive a threat to that, that law will disappear quite quickly. The reason they are so stiff is because of a number of high profile deaths of salarymen using amphetamines to basically work days on end without sleep, resulting in aneurysms, coronary events, psychosis, and the like.