• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

I've noticed an inordinate amount of people on this forum seem to be from the Southeastern United States. It got me thinking, I wonder if something is metaphorically (or perhaps literally) poisoning. the water hole. Anyone else noticed this trend or have any thoughts as to why if you have?

#2 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

I hadn't noticed. But then, I haven't really paid a lot of attention to people's locations. On the other hand, seems like most of the support groups I've found info on are North/Northeast. Are southerners just that much less likely to seek out that kind of face-to-face support?

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

I hadn't noticed. But then, I haven't really paid a lot of attention to people's locations. On the other hand, seems like most of the support groups I've found info on are North/Northeast. Are southerners just that much less likely to seek out that kind of face-to-face support?

I'd say so. Here in the south, they tend to have that mentality of "if you need help with anything, then you are a failure and a drag on society and probably vote democrat." Plus, there are fewer urban areas, so it's harder for N sufferers to congregate, given it's relative rarity. So maybe that's why there are more southerners on here. They just aren't getting any support IRL. I looked in vain and the nearest N support group to me is Atlanta which is like 5.5 hours away.

#4 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Another great example of my complete lack of social awareness, I guess! I've lived in the south for most of my life, but never really noticed that attitude. Then again, I've never paid a whole lot of attention to people in general, since I don't much like them. I'm not what one might call sociable, really.

I think the closest group to me is in St. Louis, MO, which is just about 6 hours.