Photo

Anybody Know About Med. Holidays?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

my fellow sleepyheads-

i've read postings in the n. forums of pwn whose symptoms are tx'd w/ traditional stimulants (like adderall) who regularly take "drug/medication holidays".

this is to keep from desensitizing to their mads. it's commonpractice for sleep dr.'s rx'ing stimulants to reccomend regular "drug holidays", if i'm not mistakn.

unwillingness to leave my partner/wife "alone" (in the de facto sense, i'm unable to so much as talk w/her w/o n. meds, making her unhappy) and a full schedule have made washouts for me impractical.

it's been almost 1 yr. since i had one > 1 day.

until yesterday i had no idea how effective a 3 day washout can bein terms of my responding to my rx.

i need feedback from pwn who are rx'ed adderall or similar med, who take "drug holidays". Here is what i don't know.......HOW OFTEN? HOW MANY DAYS?

thank you for any perspective you can offer.

happy holidays!

#2 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

I take them all the time (with the help of Xyrem) Weekends I try not to take any adderall, and during the week I take as needed... some days that means a ton... other days just in the am or just around 2 (when my eyes wont stay open)

I do it more to the fact that I hate stimulate and they hate me... After not taking them for a weekend the Monday goes much smoother with a lower dose. Another thing I noticed is that Addreall despite seeming like its in and out of my system has a very long half life... so even on Sunday I still dont have much of an appetite and my Jaw is still all messed up. The week I moved I didn't take it all week... and by Thursday I finally felt free of it! that 6 days off of it before I ate like normal and didnt feel the need to bite my tongue!

#3 WitlessKim

WitlessKim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Harry Potter, Math, Doctor Who, and sleeping.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Drug holidays are wonderful, I do them regularly. I am a full time student and single mom-take Provigil and Halcion. I take drug holidays most weekends and breaks from school. Depending on if you do it more than just the weekend, you may have to ramp back up on your meds to avoid headaches etc. But that is the point, right? To avoid getting used to the medication.

If you plan on taking a drug holiday, make sure you do it during a time where its OK to not be at 100%. Good luck!

#4 Pkay

Pkay

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Designer/Electronics Tech.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

i try not to take my adderall on any weekends I can tolerate it (ie not doing anything where I need to be awake). I've found I've had zero withdrawl issues and its helped keep my tolerance low. I had a point a few years ago where it didn't work as well and my doctor asked if I had vacation time saved up, took a week off, didnt take meds for a week and he lowered my doesage slightly and it did wonders.

I'd just advise not to take it when you can tolerate it and it won't interfere with your life.

#5 dasikins

dasikins

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Ponies, my pups, learning, laughter

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

I don't take Vyvanse on the weekends, but it didn't help my tolerance at all

#6 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

My doctor actually told me, when I started the Nuvigil, to only take it on work days, or days I absolutely have to, in order to slow down building up a tolerance. Right now, that means work days, and the 1 day a week I have an on-campus lab for school.

#7 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

I haven't been on Dex long but since i've been on it, I take a vacation saturday and sunday from my provigil and Dex. I tried skipping meds on a school day, but haha. WOW. That was a huge mistake. Spring break! I can't wait to go a few days w/o meds or alarm clocks. 

#8 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

My dr ordered a 1 day per week med holiday. Since I have a 2 year old this is very tough. When I explained to him that it is hugely interfering with life and even the 1 day not being able to take it, he now allows me to skip the holiday. But still urges me to try if I am able to for some reason.
Having a toddler running around and a narcoleptic not on meds is really not a good mix!! Lol.