• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jclieneck

Jclieneck

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hello,

I am 3 months pregnant and right now I am currently on Concerta and Prozac to manage my sleepiness and SEVERE cataplexy. After talking to many doctors, it looks like the best plan for me is to go off of the prozac at 20 weeks and switch to xyrem. I understand that that keeps me from being housebound maybe even bedbound, but I am still nervous about taking such a new drug with not much research about it and pregnancy. My husband is in the army and is going to be gone for training from Jan-May and I will be the only one home. I am due in June and he is going to be deploying in August. My main question is, after the baby is born, when he deploys or has more overnight training, when taking the xyrem, will it completely knock me out or will I be able to be responsive to the babies cries. This is really starting to stress me out as it will affect his next few years in the army and I don't want to hold him back. Oh yeah and we live in HI, so its not the easiest for family members to come visit. I appreciate any help/knowledge that anyone is willing to give!

#2 cmcardle74

cmcardle74

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hello,

I am 3 months pregnant and right now I am currently on Concerta and Prozac to manage my sleepiness and SEVERE cataplexy. After talking to many doctors, it looks like the best plan for me is to go off of the prozac at 20 weeks and switch to xyrem. I understand that that keeps me from being housebound maybe even bedbound, but I am still nervous about taking such a new drug with not much research about it and pregnancy. My husband is in the army and is going to be gone for training from Jan-May and I will be the only one home. I am due in June and he is going to be deploying in August. My main question is, after the baby is born, when he deploys or has more overnight training, when taking the xyrem, will it completely knock me out or will I be able to be responsive to the babies cries. This is really starting to stress me out as it will affect his next few years in the army and I don't want to hold him back. Oh yeah and we live in HI, so its not the easiest for family members to come visit. I appreciate any help/knowledge that anyone is willing to give!

Hi. My wife, who has narcolepsy and severe cataplexy, takes Provigil and Xyrem. We just had a baby a bit over a month ago and she stayed on her Xyrem the entire time with no ill effects to her or our son. As for the sleeping, her Xyrem does keep her from hearing his cries once it has kicked in. When its effects start to fade she does hear him, though it takes a bit of him yelling for it to penetrate the fog. For that reason I almost exclusively wake up for him in the night.

I don't know if the Xyrem will affect you differently than it does my wife; she takes the maximum dose possible and it's pretty cry-proof. In addition, her mental state while on Xyrem is quite loopy, and she doesn't generally trust herself with him when she's in that state. I know that's probably not what you want to hear--so I hope you get some more encouraging news. Maybe a lesser dose would leave you a bit more responsive; I don't really know.