Clashing Accomodations With Another Girl In My Class

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

So this is a kind of weird topic and I don't know if this has happened to anyone before. First off I have N/C and accommodations with the school disability office (I'm in college). I have a hard time focusing and paying attention (from the narcolepsy and a brain injury I had as a child). I'm a veterinary technology major and we can bring our pets to class. At the beginning of the semester there was this girl who always brought her dog. And she told a few people she was training it as a service animal. Then it showed up with a backpack and she said it was "her" service animal and it carried her medicine. Then she got called out by our teacher for bringing it to lab. And she said it was her "alert" dog. Apparently she has hypoglycemia. Which I thought was rare unless you have diabetes too. I kind of doubt that she has it but whatever that's not the point. The point is she is constantly getting up in the middle of class with it and it jingles and it's nails click and it's very distracting. Also it whines. ALL THE TIME. Like it won't shut up. I hate that thing so much. It will start whining, and distract me, then I start getting pissed off and it triggers my cataplexy or makes me extremely sleepy. So we had one teacher say she needed documentation from the school disability office since all she had was a dr.'s note. She didn't bring it to class for 2 weeks (the most focused I've been all semester). But I overheard her yesterday, apparently she somehow got documentation. So now it will be in class. All the time.

I don't know if I can say anything about it distracting me in class. My accommodation is extended test time and a separate area to take my test. So at least I don't have to listen to it during my exams and I can concentrate. However. For my lab practical i can't take it in the SDS testing center, because I need to use a microscope and whatnot. So I will be taking it with everyone else in the classroom (with extended time). If she brings that dog to the exam it will push me over the edge, I always stress major over finals. I just know I will have a full body cataplexic attack - and it could very well happen while I'm carrying a blood sample or getting my microscope out. I need a quiet test taking area. But I will not have it with the dog. But her accommodation is the dog. So it's like our accommodations directly clash with eachother. God, it pisses me off so much. I feel like if it was a REAL service dog it would be quiet. We have a girl with diabetes who has an alert dog and that thing is silent as the grave except when it's alerting her. There is also a girl with a guide dog and it is very quiet as well. This other girl's "service" dog however is constantly pulling at the leash, not paying attention to her, whining, and trying to get everyone to pet it. I don't care if she has one but it just needs to be quiet! I mean I know I'm judging her here without all the facts, she could have a legit reason that I don't know about. It just seems like kind of a scam. And it's interfering with my learning. How to approach this? Should I ask the teacher if I can take my lab exam in the other lab? My worry is that she is going to end up in all my classes next semester too. But I guess I should cross that bridge when I come to it. It just seems like a no-win situation.

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

So this is a kind of weird topic and I don't know if this has happened to anyone before. First off I have N/C and accommodations with the school disability office (I'm in college). I have a hard time focusing and paying attention (from the narcolepsy and a brain injury I had as a child). I'm a veterinary technology major and we can bring our pets to class. At the beginning of the semester there was this girl who always brought her dog. And she told a few people she was training it as a service animal. Then it showed up with a backpack and she said it was "her" service animal and it carried her medicine. Then she got called out by our teacher for bringing it to lab. And she said it was her "alert" dog. Apparently she has hypoglycemia. Which I thought was rare unless you have diabetes too. I kind of doubt that she has it but whatever that's not the point. The point is she is constantly getting up in the middle of class with it and it jingles and it's nails click and it's very distracting. Also it whines. ALL THE TIME. Like it won't shut up. I hate that thing so much. It will start whining, and distract me, then I start getting pissed off and it triggers my cataplexy or makes me extremely sleepy. So we had one teacher say she needed documentation from the school disability office since all she had was a dr.'s note. She didn't bring it to class for 2 weeks (the most focused I've been all semester). But I overheard her yesterday, apparently she somehow got documentation. So now it will be in class. All the time.

I don't know if I can say anything about it distracting me in class. My accommodation is extended test time and a separate area to take my test. So at least I don't have to listen to it during my exams and I can concentrate. However. For my lab practical i can't take it in the SDS testing center, because I need to use a microscope and whatnot. So I will be taking it with everyone else in the classroom (with extended time). If she brings that dog to the exam it will push me over the edge, I always stress major over finals. I just know I will have a full body cataplexic attack - and it could very well happen while I'm carrying a blood sample or getting my microscope out. I need a quiet test taking area. But I will not have it with the dog. But her accommodation is the dog. So it's like our accommodations directly clash with eachother. God, it pisses me off so much. I feel like if it was a REAL service dog it would be quiet. We have a girl with diabetes who has an alert dog and that thing is silent as the grave except when it's alerting her. There is also a girl with a guide dog and it is very quiet as well. This other girl's "service" dog however is constantly pulling at the leash, not paying attention to her, whining, and trying to get everyone to pet it. I don't care if she has one but it just needs to be quiet! I mean I know I'm judging her here without all the facts, she could have a legit reason that I don't know about. It just seems like kind of a scam. And it's interfering with my learning. How to approach this? Should I ask the teacher if I can take my lab exam in the other lab? My worry is that she is going to end up in all my classes next semester too. But I guess I should cross that bridge when I come to it. It just seems like a no-win situation.

Here is a link that may be helpful: http://www.ada.gov/s...nimals_2010.htm

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

if the dog is not trained in basic obedience, it is unlikely that it is trained for a more complex task. You could ask about the task it was trained to do in service. That might be a legitimate way to uncover a hoax if there is one.

If you are certain it is not legitimate, you could get one of the dog whistles that is inaudible to people. Blow it each time the dog is misbehaving and you could begin training it yourself.

#3 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

Here is a link that may be helpful: http://www.ada.gov/s...nimals_2010.htm

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

if the dog is not trained in basic obedience, it is unlikely that it is trained for a more complex task. You could ask about the task it was trained to do in service. That might be a legitimate way to uncover a hoax if there is one.

If you are certain it is not legitimate, you could get one of the dog whistles that is inaudible to people. Blow it each time the dog is misbehaving and you could begin training it yourself.

Surely you are required to have some sort of documentation to have it at a school setting. All other accommodations require it why wouldn't they for service dogs? Otherwise everyone would be doing it. I had to get TWO neuropsych evaluations to get my accommodations (because I changed schools and they require them to be within 3 years) and I have a severe traumatic brain injury on top of the narcolepsy. TBIs don't change. But they still needed "proof".

Although I'm loving the idea of training it in secret. Don't you think people would notice if I was constantly blowing a dog whistle though? And how far away can dogs hear them? I don't want to set off the whole building each time ha. (Unless you meant it as a joke? I'm bad with jokes especially over the internets)

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

I am not sure that dog is trained as a service dog at all, and should not be allowed in class! A service dog is well trained and able to sit quite and still even if someone waves a steak in it face. I think you may need to approach the teacher about the distraction it is causing you... maybe you can move seats?

I know if I was in your shoes I would be going nuts... I can't even sit near people who chew gum, or really anyone making a distracting noise! I had to approach a coworker about her ice chewing because it literally was hurting my ears lol

Good luck!

#5 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

I am not sure that dog is trained as a service dog at all, and should not be allowed in class! A service dog is well trained and able to sit quite and still even if someone waves a steak in it face. I think you may need to approach the teacher about the distraction it is causing you... maybe you can move seats?

I know if I was in your shoes I would be going nuts... I can't even sit near people who chew gum, or really anyone making a distracting noise! I had to approach a coworker about her ice chewing because it literally was hurting my ears lol

Good luck!

She is in another class with me and sits on the other side of the room, but I'm still distracted everytime it whines. Plus she gets up with it a lot. I mean it's distracting when one person does it, but even more so when it's a person with a dog! She didn't bring it to lab today (I think she is scared of that teacher). So hopefully she won't bring it to the lab practical. I think if she does and it starts distracting me I'll tell the teacher and let her deal with it. And hopefully she won't be in my classes next semester. Thankfully she is pre-vet so I know I will have at least one semester where we don't share any classes!