Photo

Help! Bit My Tongue On Xyrem And Scared.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BalancingLife

BalancingLife

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

So I've been on Xyrem for about 8 months now and really love it. Sometimes, I bite my tongue while I'm sleeping and it is numb in the morning but eventually goes away. Well, over a week ago, I woke up to my tongue throbbing and the entire front numb. Gradually it was getting better, but over a week now and the tip of my tongue is still numb and feels terrible. It is going to get better? Should I tell my doctor? I'm really afraid I did some permanent nerve damage.

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

So I've been on Xyrem for about 8 months now and really love it. Sometimes, I bite my tongue while I'm sleeping and it is numb in the morning but eventually goes away. Well, over a week ago, I woke up to my tongue throbbing and the entire front numb. Gradually it was getting better, but over a week now and the tip of my tongue is still numb and feels terrible. It is going to get better? Should I tell my doctor? I'm really afraid I did some permanent nerve damage.

Ouch. I think it would be a good idea to tell your doctor. Since you bit your tongue that hard and you are this concerned about it, there is no reason not to tell your doctor. You did not mention about blood or cutting damage to your tongue, so it would be unlikely that you have permanent nerve damage. As the swelling continues to subside, the numbness will likely decrease. But your doctor is the best person to make that call.

If that happened to me, I would want to know why I was biting my tongue. We are not supposed to do that and it is hurting you. Do you have a long history of this or is it more recent.

I have been on Xyrem for 4 months and it is giving me my life back. My sleep is starting to lengthen with fewer awakenings- hard to believe it could happen.

I hope you feel better so you can enjoy a good meal on Thanksgiving Day.