Tongue Tingling - Cataplexy?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

I was wondering if anyone experiences tongue tingling when having a cataplexy attack?

Late last night I had a frightful event happen and my tongue started to tingle sharply, as though I had eaten something bitter. After about 5 minutes it was gone.

I've had lip tingling before.....but never tongue tingling.

Gosh, sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy :0)

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

I was wondering if anyone experiences tongue tingling when having a cataplexy attack?

Late last night I had a frightful event happen and my tongue started to tingle sharply, as though I had eaten something bitter. After about 5 minutes it was gone.

I've had lip tingling before.....but never tongue tingling.

Gosh, sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy :0)

I have never had that happen- but who knows- maybe I will and now I will know I am not alone. Cataplexy seems to cause the most subtle, annoyingly vague quirks.

I would suggest mentioning it to your regular family doctor. A tingling tongue can also be a symptom of several things unrelated to Cataplexy like a vitamin / mineral deficiency or low blood sugar. Simple blood work at your next physical might solve the mystery. If it's Cataplexy, the blood work is good anyway. Vitamin D deficiency is common with Narcolepsy and doctors rarely check that, so you could include D as well.

#3 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hank, I appreciate that you didn't mention menopause :D

I was wondering about the vitamin deficiencies too....but I haven't had any tongue tingling/stinging what-ever-ya-wanna-call-it since that event, or before it happened.

I know I had a bad cataplexy attack a few months ago that started with my lips tingling. That was the precursor to the muscle weakness and almost a fall.
(I managed to sit down before the fall.)

Being startled by something is one of my triggers.

I'm trying to keep track of these little "warnings" of an attack coming on...so that I can make sure I sit down before I fall down.

I will keep you posted if it happens again.