Headache Upon Waking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 naplover

naplover

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Does anyone else get a headache upon waking? During the work week, it typically goes away after breakfast (within a half hour of waking). However, during the weekends when I sleep in, it's worse and can last the whole morning (or more). I try to wake up at my work day time during the weekend, but I just can't do it. I *need* the sleep, but my body doesn't like it (hence, the headaches). Thoughts?

#2 TiredAgain

TiredAgain

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Does anyone else get a headache upon waking? During the work week, it typically goes away after breakfast (within a half hour of waking). However, during the weekends when I sleep in, it's worse and can last the whole morning (or more). I try to wake up at my work day time during the weekend, but I just can't do it. I *need* the sleep, but my body doesn't like it (hence, the headaches). Thoughts?

I get headaches all the time especially upon waking. When I sleep in everything is worse, and I'm extra tired. Like you I need the sleep, but then I pay for it all day long. I can get up at 8:30 / 9:00 and feel exhausted at 11:30, but when I'm working I get up 5:45 and I'm usually ok till 1:30 or so.

Do you take any meds I take Adderall so I try and take it the same time everyday whether I'm working or and that helps a little bit. Anyway I would love to hear from others how they handle it.

#3 naplover

naplover

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

I don't take any meds (unless you want to count carnitine and CoQ10). I took Nuvigil but had awful side effects. And I have multiple other health issues (and therefore multiple meds) so I'm hesitant to try anything else.

During the work week, I drink tea throughout the morning, so I can usually make it through the work day. During the weekend, I don't drink tea so I'm ready for a nap by noon.

I'm totally paying for extra sleep this long weekend--I've had an on/off headache since Saturday evening.

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I don't take any meds (unless you want to count carnitine and CoQ10). I took Nuvigil but had awful side effects. And I have multiple other health issues (and therefore multiple meds) so I'm hesitant to try anything else.

During the work week, I drink tea throughout the morning, so I can usually make it through the work day. During the weekend, I don't drink tea so I'm ready for a nap by noon.

I'm totally paying for extra sleep this long weekend--I've had an on/off headache since Saturday evening.

This is why you are getting headaches... Tea has caffeine, when you don't have caffeine you get headaches! On weekend I make sure I have a little when I first wake and I feel much better. Sleeping late means your body doesn't have it when it needs it... try setting your alarm for when you normally get up, have a little caffeine and go back to sleep... If you are already half asleep when you drink it you should be able to fall right back to sleep. Or try to drink some when you get up at 11ish. You dont need much to keep the headache away.

#5 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

oh also Excedrin has caffeine in it, so if you dont want to drink tea... grab one of those (if you can have asprine)

#6 naplover

naplover

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I haven't had a chance to take a nap the last two days, and have just been sleeping 7-8 hours the last two nights. NO headaches, not even the short-term ones until breakfast! But, I did almost fall asleep while driving and at my desk, even with the "ongoing" morning tea...

I've had this headache issue even before I upped my tea intake, so I'm not sure if it's due to the caffeine. I can't take Excedrin (aspirin).