Nuvigil Trouble

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trying_to_cope

trying_to_cope

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Im looking for any advice anyone can give me. I know that every person is different and what not but I recently switched doctors and he put me on Nuvigil. It's about 600 mgs a day. At first it works pretty well but once I'm on it for a couple of days it seems to build up in my system and it gives me terrible tension in all my muscles especially my legs. It's like I have restless leg syndrome. Its terrible and its worse at night. It also gave me a terrible pain in my right shoulder muscle that worsened with each day. The day I stopped taking it the symptoms eased up immensely. Its the second day I havent taken it but I still feel a little strange all over. Almost like flu like symptoms but I know its not the flu. Am just looking to see if this or anything like it has happened to anyone else out there. I am so discouraged and I don't know if they are ever going to find any medicine that'll make me fell better with out side effects. I can't take the restless legs more than the sleeping all day. Someone please help, I hope. Thanks in advance for any replys.

#2 wanttosleep1

wanttosleep1

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Im looking for any advice anyone can give me. I know that every person is different and what not but I recently switched doctors and he put me on Nuvigil. It's about 600 mgs a day. At first it works pretty well but once I'm on it for a couple of days it seems to build up in my system and it gives me terrible tension in all my muscles especially my legs. It's like I have restless leg syndrome. Its terrible and its worse at night. It also gave me a terrible pain in my right shoulder muscle that worsened with each day. The day I stopped taking it the symptoms eased up immensely. Its the second day I havent taken it but I still feel a little strange all over. Almost like flu like symptoms but I know its not the flu. Am just looking to see if this or anything like it has happened to anyone else out there. I am so discouraged and I don't know if they are ever going to find any medicine that'll make me fell better with out side effects. I can't take the restless legs more than the sleeping all day. Someone please help, I hope. Thanks in advance for any replys.

I just recently started taking Nuvigil too. I also just switched doctors. He started me on 250mg and it's not working for me. I asked to switch back to Adderall but instead he added 50mg in the afternoon. I have noticed a sortof unpleasant feeling but I can't tell what it is. Maybe I'm too used the Adderall and the dose isn't high enough but there is a big difference. I wonder if there was some huge Nuvigil push from the drug reps on doctors to start prescribing this.. makes you wonder. Have you tried Adderall or anything else besides Nuvigil?

#3 trying_to_cope

trying_to_cope

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I just recently started taking Nuvigil too. I also just switched doctors. He started me on 250mg and it's not working for me. I asked to switch back to Adderall but instead he added 50mg in the afternoon. I have noticed a sortof unpleasant feeling but I can't tell what it is. Maybe I'm too used the Adderall and the dose isn't high enough but there is a big difference. I wonder if there was some huge Nuvigil push from the drug reps on doctors to start prescribing this.. makes you wonder. Have you tried Adderall or anything else besides Nuvigil?

Ritalin which did nothing. I mean nothing. I was on the Nuvigil before, not this high a dose but it did the same thing that I can remember. It's like all day long Im tightening the muscles in my legs and stretching them out. It's a terrible feeling. It was helping me stay awake though. Like I said it wasn't working as well as the first couple days but the last two days with nothing are unbearable as well. I have absolutely zero energy and I'm just sleeping pretty much the whole day away. Are there other medicines that help out there? My doctor said there are tons of different medicines we can try but it's so exhausting in itself. I just want to be normal, what ever that is. This illness is ruining my life in sooo many ways.

#4 wanttosleep1

wanttosleep1

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Ritalin which did nothing. I mean nothing. I was on the Nuvigil before, not this high a dose but it did the same thing that I can remember. It's like all day long Im tightening the muscles in my legs and stretching them out. It's a terrible feeling. It was helping me stay awake though. Like I said it wasn't working as well as the first couple days but the last two days with nothing are unbearable as well. I have absolutely zero energy and I'm just sleeping pretty much the whole day away. Are there other medicines that help out there? My doctor said there are tons of different medicines we can try but it's so exhausting in itself. I just want to be normal, what ever that is. This illness is ruining my life in sooo many ways.

I can identify with how you're feeling. Not having energy leads to depression, which can effect how you sleep, which makes you even more tired and depressed. It's a vicious cycle. Ask your doctor about Requip for restless legs. I'm not sure if you can use Nuvigil and Requip together. My advise to you is talk to your doctor about how you're feeling. He might start you on an anti-depressant which may help your energy levels. All you can do is try. There are lots of meds that you can try but I only know of a few. Provigil, Adderall, Nuvigil are the main 3 that I'm aware of. I know it's exhausting. Get help from family/friends but only your doctor can prescribe the meds that will get you the help you need to feel better.

#5 trying_to_cope

trying_to_cope

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I can identify with how you're feeling. Not having energy leads to depression, which can effect how you sleep, which makes you even more tired and depressed. It's a vicious cycle. Ask your doctor about Requip for restless legs. I'm not sure if you can use Nuvigil and Requip together. My advise to you is talk to your doctor about how you're feeling. He might start you on an anti-depressant which may help your energy levels. All you can do is try. There are lots of meds that you can try but I only know of a few. Provigil, Adderall, Nuvigil are the main 3 that I'm aware of. I know it's exhausting. Get help from family/friends but only your doctor can prescribe the meds that will get you the help you need to feel better.

Yeah I suffer from depression too even before I got this lovely illness. And ur right it is a vicious cycle because the depression makes it sooo much worse some days. I was on Prozac but they changed it to Zoloft to try and help with the extreme anxiety I have now. And its just not the falling asleep thats bad, its the zero energy to even move some days. Like getting out of bed is a chore let alone functioning in life. This doctor seems to know more of what he's doing at least, my last doctor was an absolute MORON!!!! But thanks for talking with me. It makes me feel a little better talking to someone that knows how I feel. My mom is super supportive but it's nice talking to someone I can relate to that knows exactly how it feels. Thank you.

#6 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

The main stimulants are Ritalin (which you have already tried), Adderall, Dextroamphetamine,and Provigil (not a "classsical" stimulant). Ritalin and Adderall at least are available as extended release. Vyvanse and Focalin (a version of ritalin) are two others that are sometimes used. There are a few antidepressants that are used (as has been mentioned).

Provigil is ridiculously expensive, and very close to Nuvigil, though some people can take one but not the other. It is one thing that I have noticed that one person will say Drug "A" is the devil, but Drug "B" is perfect. The next person will say the exact opposite. There is no correct answer. It can be exhausting trying to find the right one for sure.

#7 trying_to_cope

trying_to_cope

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice I just went to the doctor today and we're going to give the Nuvigil one more go around because it was helping immensely I just didn't like the whole restless legs, feeling strange chills on and off all day. Maybe it was another medicine. I cut out the Zoloft and the ritalin is out of my system entirely now so maybe it will be ok this time. Or at least thats what I keep telling myself in hopes that this will "cure me". I just want to feel normal ish again. I have 3 kids to take care of my youngest is only about 9 months old, and I'm a single mom so I really can't be feeling like this. Just trying to hang in there and be grateful for the fact that by the grace of god my children are healthy. Thanks for talking to me guys I appreciate it.