Pregnancy And Hypersomnolence

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wanttosleep1

wanttosleep1

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

hey there! I am a mother of a very active 2yr. old boy. I have hypersomnolence that is managed by Adderall and I take Ambien at night. My husband and I would love to add another baby to our family. However, I am worthless of my meds. I had the luxury of being able to do nothing when I was pregnant with my first one. Now I have a very active boy to take care of. I would like any and all advise from women or anyone who knows someone who's been through this. Is it better to wait to my son is in school to have another baby? I would love for my kids to be close in age so they can be friends. I feel like this is insurmountable! I'm very sensetive to hormonal and changes and sleep deprivation. I don't know how I'm going to do this. I know this isn't a perfect world and I have to play the cards I'm dealt. Staying on my meds is not an option. There are no support groups in the Dayton area. Can anyone relate?

#2 The~Crazy~Lyfe~Of~Me

The~Crazy~Lyfe~Of~Me

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

I feel your pain but anything is possible. I dealt with the same thing. Before I got pregnant I depend on provigil to complete my day and take care of my son. Once I found out I was pregnant I thought my world was over because without my meds I can barely take care of myself let alone another person. But it worked out. The first trimister was hard and I literally had to figure out a way to wear out my son so he would take a nap in the morning. He's also a VERY ACTIVE 2yr old. Once I figured out how to get him to take a nap every 4 hr my life was a little easier and when my husband came home I would take another. Second was easier cause I had a little more energy so I went to two naps. Now I'm currently in my third and I've started taking xyrem and its been my life saver. It helps a lot with the daytime sleepiness to the point where sometimes I don't take a nap or maybe I'll just take one. The xyrem doesn't seem to be affecting the baby she seems to be kicking all night long. I wasn't planning on having another kid right now and if I could go back I wouldn't change a thing. Being pregnant has made me more aware of how to better manage my condition for the future and has made me a more stronger confident person. If you really wanna have another kid I say go for it.

#3 munky

munky

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. It takes up too much space.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

Let me start off by saying this isn't a problem I'll ever have myself, so I can't offer any real advice about medications and pregnancy.

However, as far as timing, having a sibling close in age is NO guarantee that they will be friends! I have three siblings. My eldest sister is 7 years older than me, the next is 2 years older than me, and my brother is 3 years younger than me. I COULD NOT STAND the sister who's 2 years older than me when we were growing up. We were most definitely NOT friends. We get along better now that we're adults, certainly, but we fought like cats and dogs when we were kids. And I mean physically: fist fights were a near daily occurence.

On the other hand, my little brother, at 3 years younger than me, was okay, and I got along great with my eldest sister--she was more of a friend than the one closer to me in age. And the fact that I didn't get along with the one sister didn't mean we weren't family. My sister and I fought constantly, but if anyone outside the family so much as said a word against either one of us, the other would be there to back her up. We were FAMILY. We just didn't LIKE each other.

I'm rambling again. My point: don't assume that just because they're close in ages your children will be friends. Don't rely on that making your life easier, either. If it will be easier for you to deal with 2 children if one of them is in school, it might be better to wait.

Just something to think about. Good luck, whatever decision you make!

--munky