• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MystyqueOne

MystyqueOne

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Hello,

I currently work 12 hour shifts in the medical field, mostly during the day, but due to my type of work, every once in a while I am scheduled to work a graveyard shift. I recently spoke to my sleep doctor and he told me that rotating shifts are very detrimental to a person with Narcolepsy. So, my doctor is going to write a letter supporting this. What I'm afraid of is I've only been with this company for about 11 months and I've been doing the night shifts (but then it takes me literally 2 days to recoup, which means I'm sleeping most of the days for those 2 days and not spending any time with my family or doing what needs to be done around the house). Lately, my symptoms have gotten so much worse (that's why I scheduled this appointment with my sleep dr). So, when I receive this letter from my doctor, is there a chance that my boss will turn down the letter? Or state that "this was the job I signed up for"? Can they let me go for such a disability? My doctor did say this was a disability, but I suppose I'm just afraid to present this to my work because I'm afraid it will open up a can of worms..... "If you can't do night shift because of your sleeping disorder, what else can't you do???" My sleep dr actually recommends I do 8 hour shifts, but I don't think my company even offers that.

Any advice? Thanks!

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Narcolepsy is protected by the ADA. I think it's at the judgment of your doc, but I'm given to understand you can't be fired if a medical professional has affirmed that you have an ADA covered condition AND it's symptoms are bad enough to interfere significantly with your day to day life. It's that second par that's a hard sale, from what I've seen in other threads on here. Luckily, I have a regular salary situation, so as long as I put in my time, they dont really care when I come in.