Photo

Was Fundraising To Help Increase Awareness, But

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

...that hasn't being going to well.... http://apnarcoplexic.com/44-for-44

Only $110 collected so far, and most of that is from me :unsure: But, somehow it slipped my mind completely when I put it out there that I have more than just narcolepsy friends on the social networks....

Like people I work with, worked with, people I went to high school or university with (in Canada)...are all finding out about me and Narcolepsy. Including one friend that used to bug me about my face doing something weird when I laughed in high school, who is now a doctor in family medicine (in Canada).

So, I guess things are going better than I had intended?

Its making me think that I should write a Healthquest Success Story and submit that to my employer to see if they'll publish it. It was hard to see myself ever wanting to do that...because this journey in discovering that I have Narcolepsy all started when I did poorly in the 'free' health screening (actually back then, they gave out $50 gift cards for people completing it)...that it lead to my first PSG and starting this journey. And, incurring 1000's of dollars in expenses (and debt - a couple 10's of...) to finally get here. And, that particular 'free' health screening didn't include SDB screening...though I did write, suggesting that they should include SDB screening to the 'free' health screening...and the following year it became part of it....though I don't know if I had anything to do with it, or that it was because they had changed providers.

The screenings are still free, but there's no $50 gift card....but its effectively a mandatory program now. We're required to do a health assessment, declare tobacco-free status (or participate in a cessation program, though no requirement to stop...) and do a number of the wellness activities to earn at least 40 points each year....in order to save $480/yr on our health insurance premiums. activities include getting an annual physical, getting dental exam and cleaning twice year, get an annual eye exam (which are all covered at 100% by the health plan)....click through the occasion webinar... basically enough simple stuff to achieve the points. Don't have to do any of the fitness/exercise options if you don't want to. In fact, they recently changed it to where you can smoke and not have to take the cessation program...as long as you get the points some other way.

Perhaps when I get the Xyrem all figured out...I should do that. There's no points for writing a 'Success Story' though....

The Dreamer.

#2 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

...that hasn't being going to well.... http://apnarcoplexic.com/44-for-44

Only $110 collected so far, and most of that is from me :unsure: But, somehow it slipped my mind completely when I put it out there that I have more than just narcolepsy friends on the social networks....

Like people I work with, worked with, people I went to high school or university with (in Canada)...are all finding out about me and Narcolepsy. Including one friend that used to bug me about my face doing something weird when I laughed in high school, who is now a doctor in family medicine (in Canada).

So, I guess things are going better than I had intended?

Its making me think that I should write a Healthquest Success Story and submit that to my employer to see if they'll publish it. It was hard to see myself ever wanting to do that...because this journey in discovering that I have Narcolepsy all started when I did poorly in the 'free' health screening (actually back then, they gave out $50 gift cards for people completing it)...that it lead to my first PSG and starting this journey. And, incurring 1000's of dollars in expenses (and debt - a couple 10's of...) to finally get here. And, that particular 'free' health screening didn't include SDB screening...though I did write, suggesting that they should include SDB screening to the 'free' health screening...and the following year it became part of it....though I don't know if I had anything to do with it, or that it was because they had changed providers.

The screenings are still free, but there's no $50 gift card....but its effectively a mandatory program now. We're required to do a health assessment, declare tobacco-free status (or participate in a cessation program, though no requirement to stop...) and do a number of the wellness activities to earn at least 40 points each year....in order to save $480/yr on our health insurance premiums. activities include getting an annual physical, getting dental exam and cleaning twice year, get an annual eye exam (which are all covered at 100% by the health plan)....click through the occasion webinar... basically enough simple stuff to achieve the points. Don't have to do any of the fitness/exercise options if you don't want to. In fact, they recently changed it to where you can smoke and not have to take the cessation program...as long as you get the points some other way.

Perhaps when I get the Xyrem all figured out...I should do that. There's no points for writing a 'Success Story' though....

The Dreamer.

I wish Health care was like that in the US, although I wouldn't want to have be on a waiting list for a needed surgery. People should have an incentive to live/be healthier!

#3 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

I wish Health care was like that in the US, although I wouldn't want to have be on a waiting list for a needed surgery. People should have an incentive to live/be healthier!

Which part? I'm in the US....and the whole sequence of events from first 'free' health screen to present has been at my current home (in Manhattan, KS) and current job (at Kansas State University).

But, I mostly grew up in Canada from 1970 to 1998 (which is why I have a lot of facebook friends in Canada, who can't/won't donate to my cause.) Though I was born in 1968 in Lawrence, KS....and before I came to be in Manhattan, KS, I was in Dublin, OH....

The Dreamer.

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Oh I thought you said you lived in Canada... you have free health care in your area! wow thats cool!

#5 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Oh I thought you said you lived in Canada... you have free health care in your area! wow thats cool!

No I don't...and I didn't say anything like that. Otherwise, why would saving $480/yr off my premiums matter if it was free. Or going to a 'free' health screening at work, turn into 1000's of dollars in medical expenses....is hardly 'free'.

The Dreamer.