Photo

Question For Ritalin Users

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sunset

sunset

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Before N+C : Gardening, taking my Doberman to the Dog Park or Petsmart. Going to remodel Kitchen and one bathroom, Like to draw plans for the contracter

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

I am taking Ritalin -2 20mg tabs in the AM and finding it hard to stay awake. Within 45 minutes of taking it I am so sleepy I have to sleep another 2 to 3 hrs. I am alert in the afternoon.

I changed from Nuvigil to Ritalin a few days ago and hope I don't have to change meds again.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

I am taking Ritalin -2 20mg tabs in the AM and finding it hard to stay awake. Within 45 minutes of taking it I am so sleepy I have to sleep another 2 to 3 hrs. I am alert in the afternoon.

I changed from Nuvigil to Ritalin a few days ago and hope I don't have to change meds again.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

I had troubles with Adderall like that after I built up a tolerance. I would try switching to extended release. Some people metabolize that stuff really quickly, so the IR doesn't last long.

#3 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Are you taking both pills at the same time...and only once in the morning? Are you taking any other medications?
Do you have ADHD?

-I've read that some people who have hyperactive type ADD find that ritalin calms them down so much it makes them sleepy. If this is the case, you might want to try reducing your dose ...perhaps try taking 20 mg doses spread out throughout the day.

You might also want to give Concerta a try. I started on IR Ritalin and tried different dosages until I figured out what dose I need and how often per day...then I switched to Concerta.

Here's a good post about the different doses and how to convert your IR Ritalin dose to Concerta dose:
http://www.addadhdbl...ght-dose/#6225e

#4 sunset

sunset

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Before N+C : Gardening, taking my Doberman to the Dog Park or Petsmart. Going to remodel Kitchen and one bathroom, Like to draw plans for the contracter

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

I had troubles with Adderall like that after I built up a tolerance. I would try switching to extended release. Some people metabolize that stuff really quickly, so the IR doesn't last long.

I failed to mention the Ritalin is slow release. Other than making me sleepy in the morning, I like the way it makes me feel in the afternoon....tomorrow I am going to not have my Decaf coffee. Maybe the warm drink makes me sleepy since I don't sleep good at night. Trying to think of anything that would do it....thanks for the reply.

#5 sunset

sunset

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Are you taking both pills at the same time...and only once in the morning? Are you taking any other medications?
Do you have ADHD?

-I've read that some people who have hyperactive type ADD find that ritalin calms them down so much it makes them sleepy. If this is the case, you might want to try reducing your dose ...perhaps try taking 20 mg doses spread out throughout the day.

You might also want to give Concerta a try. I started on IR Ritalin and tried different dosages until I figured out what dose I need and how often per day...then I switched to Concerta.

Here's a good post about the different doses and how to convert your IR Ritalin dose to Concerta dose:
http://www.addadhdbl...ght-dose/#6225e

No I have only been told I have N+C.
I am so new to this drug Merry-Go- Round but am realizing this is going to be the case all of my life. Kind of depressing. Just want to find the right drug.
I am taking Imipram 25mg at bedtime maybe this is still in my system in the morning when I take the Ritalin and over rides it ?..I don't sleep good at night..I feel good in the afternoon.

Thanks for the info on Concerta. I will ask my Dr. about it.

#6 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:MINI Coopers, Fiber Arts, the Great Outdoors

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

No I have only been told I have N+C.
I am so new to this drug Merry-Go- Round but am realizing this is going to be the case all of my life. Kind of depressing. Just want to find the right drug.
I am taking Imipram 25mg at bedtime maybe this is still in my system in the morning when I take the Ritalin and over rides it ?..I don't sleep good at night..I feel good in the afternoon.

Thanks for the info on Concerta. I will ask my Dr. about it.

Are you taking it on an empty stomach? I take my ritalin as soon as I get up and wait the recommended 30-45 minutes before I eat. Even then according to Medscape the onset of action is actually about 2 hours. I have found that some mornings I do fall back to sleep for a bit it before starts to kick in. I only take 15mg in the morning and 10mg at lunch time.

#7 sunset

sunset

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Are you taking it on an empty stomach? I take my ritalin as soon as I get up and wait the recommended 30-45 minutes before I eat. Even then according to Medscape the onset of action is actually about 2 hours. I have found that some mornings I do fall back to sleep for a bit it before starts to kick in. I only take 15mg in the morning and 10mg at lunch time.

No, I was told to take the Ritalin on a full stomach when I had it filled at the Drug store. Hummm thats probably one of the reasons I want to sleep after taking it and it takes 2 hrs to kick in....now it makes sense.

I started taking only one 20mg tab in the morning even though the prescription says 1 or 2 in the morning. When it finally takes effect I feel good and clear headed. I didn't like the way Nuvigil made me feel...drugged.

I am going to ask more questions of my Dr. from now on.

Thank you for the info. Now I know whats going on and what to expect.

#8 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

No, I was told to take the Ritalin on a full stomach when I had it filled at the Drug store. Hummm thats probably one of the reasons I want to sleep after taking it and it takes 2 hrs to kick in....now it makes sense.

I started taking only one 20mg tab in the morning even though the prescription says 1 or 2 in the morning. When it finally takes effect I feel good and clear headed. I didn't like the way Nuvigil made me feel...drugged.

I am going to ask more questions of my Dr. from now on.

Thank you for the info. Now I know whats going on and what to expect.

All of the prescribing information that I have read says to take Ritalin on an empty stomach and eat 30-45 minutes later. My doc started me with Ritalin first. I was prescribed 5-10mg, 1-2 times a day. I quickly found out that if I forgot to eat after taking it I would get overdriven, and it would clear from my system too fast. I am going back for a follow up with a different doc at the same practice because my original doc is not comfortable managing cases like ours. On the occasions where the timing is screwy, and I have to take the Ritalin after I have eaten it really does take a very long time for it to start to kick in. I have to try to time my lunch around my second dose, and I was already used to getting up extra early to give myself plenty of time to get ready so 30 minutes between taking my pill and eating a bite of breakfast doesn't really mess up my routine. In fact, I have found that I wake up so much faster now that I am usually ready long before I actually need to leave.

#9 sunset

sunset

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

All of the prescribing information that I have read says to take Ritalin on an empty stomach and eat 30-45 minutes later. My doc started me with Ritalin first. I was prescribed 5-10mg, 1-2 times a day. I quickly found out that if I forgot to eat after taking it I would get overdriven, and it would clear from my system too fast. I am going back for a follow up with a different doc at the same practice because my original doc is not comfortable managing cases like ours. On the occasions where the timing is screwy, and I have to take the Ritalin after I have eaten it really does take a very long time for it to start to kick in. I have to try to time my lunch around my second dose, and I was already used to getting up extra early to give myself plenty of time to get ready so 30 minutes between taking my pill and eating a bite of breakfast doesn't really mess up my routine. In fact, I have found that I wake up so much faster now that I am usually ready long before I actually need to leave.

Yes I am going to start taking my Ritalin on an empty stomach and eat later. I appreciate all the information you have given me, Thanks.

Noticed you live in Washington state. I have 2 daughters that live in Poulsbo, Wa. which is on the otherside of the Sound from Seattle.

Thanks again.

#10 MINItron

MINItron

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yes I am going to start taking my Ritalin on an empty stomach and eat later. I appreciate all the information you have given me, Thanks.

Noticed you live in Washington state. I have 2 daughters that live in Poulsbo, Wa. which is on the otherside of the Sound from Seattle.

Thanks again.

No problem. I think it's strange that they told you otherwise. I live on the same side of the Sound as Seattle, but about half way to Canada. I have been over to Poulsbo, but not since the last time I was stationed up here in late 90's.

Good luck.