• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LauraL

LauraL

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, piano

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

You know those light therapy boxes that are used to treat seasonal depression? I'm wondering if anyone here has every tried using one to help increase alertness. If anyone has any experience with these--positive, negative, neutral--I'm interested in hearing. With the days getting shorter, my wake-up time is now earlier than sunrise, which has made me wonder if light therapy would help.

I do suffer from depression, but it's been well-controlled since I've been in treatment, and it predates the onset of my sleep issues by several years. And it doesn't seem to have a seasonal component. I did try a light box waaaay back when I was originally diagnosed--at that point I would have tried just about anything to feel better!--but it didn't do much for me. But, if it might be a non-medicinal way to help me stay alert, I'll gladly try it again!

#2 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

You know those light therapy boxes that are used to treat seasonal depression? I'm wondering if anyone here has every tried using one to help increase alertness. If anyone has any experience with these--positive, negative, neutral--I'm interested in hearing. With the days getting shorter, my wake-up time is now earlier than sunrise, which has made me wonder if light therapy would help.

I do suffer from depression, but it's been well-controlled since I've been in treatment, and it predates the onset of my sleep issues by several years. And it doesn't seem to have a seasonal component. I did try a light box waaaay back when I was originally diagnosed--at that point I would have tried just about anything to feel better!--but it didn't do much for me. But, if it might be a non-medicinal way to help me stay alert, I'll gladly try it again!

Mine came in yesterday! Its the light/alarm clock. It dose not have the blue light that is supposed to be one factor for people with SAD. I wake way before the sun :mad: and Ive gotta say I love the light... I am on Xyrem and have had a couple of bad nights/mornings so I was already awake when the light slowly (over 30 mins) got brighter and brighter... At 5:30 when my alarm would normally go off it was bright like the sun! And I hopped out of bed and started my day... I normally press snooze let myself wake a lil cut the light on... crawl back under the covers to adjust... and then get up 20 mins later :blush: (Xyrem is the only reason I do not set my alarm and hour before i need to get up!!!!) Any how my puppy reallllllly liked the light, he hopped in bed when it woke him and was more snugly happy then normal... he would wake when I cut the light on and be out of sorts for a bit lol! He jumped off the bed and played with his bone till I got up!

SO SO SO happy I got it... on amazon it was much cheaper... There is two different ones made by philips I kind of wish I got the more expensive one, it has more options... the only draw backs to this one is

1. you can only set one alarm at a time. I like to have 2 one for the week and another for weekends
2. only 3 sounds. Radio, birds, and delightful music. I like the music but thought Id have more options.
3. If you sleep with a partner that is not on the same schedule as you this light will wake them as well!

How I found mine...
Went on Amazon
typed Light Box Alarm, and up they pop... I did a little research and went with Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light, White. but there are others... I plan on painting the wall behind my bed a light blue, the purpose of the blue is that it reflects the blue sky... we have a tiny thingy (im very scientific) behind our eyes... back before we had electricity humans had more energy on a bright sunny blue sky day (more hunting fishing ect) as opposed to a cold gloomy day. This is why simply being in a bright white light doesn't have the same effect as a slightly blue bright light. So keep in mind its not all about the blue but its not all about the bright its a mixture of the two! This is also why computer and TV before be is bad... lots of bright blue light!

Any how... hope this helps! I had planned on posting about this today! :D :D :D

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have a negative reaction to light actually. I think my circadian rhythm is really shot to hell. On super sunny days, it feels like the sunlight is smothering me, sapping all my energy.

#4 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

I've tried a couple different ones over the years....they didn't seem to do anything for me. I first got one of the daylight boxes, I more recently got one of the blue light ones.

Though now I'm hearing that because spend so much time under full spectrum lighting that its the blue light exposure at night that's messing up my sleep, which prevents seeing getting a dose of concentrated blue light, etc. Though I'm not really that keen on replacing all my lighting with traditional warm white or amber.

But, used to be super expensive and difficult to find, full spectrum lights. But, I got pretty much all the lighting in my home converted. Now, there everywhere....and cheap. Now its the old 2700K warm white bulbs that are hard to find and expensive. Right now the light that uses one of these is the bedroom light. I also have amber bulbs in my reading light in the bedroom and one by the computer in the other room. Though it makes the monitor seem too bright even with flux running on it.

Though wonder what I'll do now that I've moved (back) to computer in Living room....

The Dreamer.

#5 cloudtalk

cloudtalk

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

I use this: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B004E7KTB0 . It's a blue light that you can mount on your laptop so you can use it whenever you are using the computer. They explain how it works and how to use it pretty well on their website: http://www.syrcadian...om/science.html . I think it does help, at least a bit. I just suck at remembering to use it every day.

#6 LauraL

LauraL

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, piano

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

Thanks, everyone! Megssosleepy, I actually have the same alarm clock and have been using it for several months. Isn't it great? It doesn't completely wake me up, but it nudges me out of my deepest sleep so that when the subsequent alarm clocks go off I don't sleep through them. But I don't go back to my bedroom after I get up for the day--it's too tempting to get back into bed!--so I was thinking of one for the living room that is just a light.

I actually talked to my doctor about this today, and she said, "Oh, that's a great idea! I think that would really help you!" She promised to research various lights and get back to me with a recommendation. We'll see how it goes.

#7 kyethra

kyethra

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

I do use a light seasonally for depression which helps. I think it might be helpful for waking me up. I don't know.

#8 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have been wondering about this, too!

I have SAD really badly and have always wondered if the light not just helps with that, but would help with the fatigue as well. Interesting thread.

#9 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Mine came in yesterday! Its the light/alarm clock. It dose not have the blue light that is supposed to be one factor for people with SAD. I wake way before the sun http://narcolepsynet...MO_DIR#/mad.gif and Ive gotta say I love the light... I am on Xyrem and have had a couple of bad nights/mornings so I was already awake when the light slowly (over 30 mins) got brighter and brighter... At 5:30 when my alarm would normally go off it was bright like the sun! And I hopped out of bed and started my day... I normally press snooze let myself wake a lil cut the light on... crawl back under the covers to adjust... and then get up 20 mins later http://narcolepsynet..._DIR#/blush.gif (Xyrem is the only reason I do not set my alarm and hour before i need to get up!!!!) Any how my puppy reallllllly liked the light, he hopped in bed when it woke him and was more snugly happy then normal... he would wake when I cut the light on and be out of sorts for a bit lol! He jumped off the bed and played with his bone till I got up!

SO SO SO happy I got it... on amazon it was much cheaper... There is two different ones made by philips I kind of wish I got the more expensive one, it has more options... the only draw backs to this one is

1. you can only set one alarm at a time. I like to have 2 one for the week and another for weekends
2. only 3 sounds. Radio, birds, and delightful music. I like the music but thought Id have more options.
3. If you sleep with a partner that is not on the same schedule as you this light will wake them as well!

How I found mine...
Went on Amazon
typed Light Box Alarm, and up they pop... I did a little research and went with Philips Hf3470/60 Wake-up Light, White. but there are others... I plan on painting the wall behind my bed a light blue, the purpose of the blue is that it reflects the blue sky... we have a tiny thingy (im very scientific) behind our eyes... back before we had electricity humans had more energy on a bright sunny blue sky day (more hunting fishing ect) as opposed to a cold gloomy day. This is why simply being in a bright white light doesn't have the same effect as a slightly blue bright light. So keep in mind its not all about the blue but its not all about the bright its a mixture of the two! This is also why computer and TV before be is bad... lots of bright blue light!

Any how... hope this helps! I had planned on posting about this today! http://narcolepsynet...IR#/biggrin.gif http://narcolepsynet...IR#/biggrin.gif http://narcolepsynet...IR#/biggrin.gif

#10 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I am looking into getting one of the Phililps Wake Up Light Alarm Clock.
I actually searched the forum and found this thread!
They are rather pricey so I wanted to know how do you like yours, now that you have had it for a bit?
I like the one they have now that starts out a redish color.
Right now, I set my alarm an hour and a half ahead b/c I always hit snooze way too long. I cannot make myself get out of bed. This has always been a problem but it has gotten much, much worse after being put on stimulants. A go to bed at night at regular time, 9ish. I force myself up that late. And I do not feel like my sleep is disturbed during the night.
Do you think this wake up light will be beneficial to me??

#11 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

I am looking into getting one of the Phililps Wake Up Light Alarm Clock.
I actually searched the forum and found this thread!
They are rather pricey so I wanted to know how do you like yours, now that you have had it for a bit?
I like the one they have now that starts out a redish color.
Right now, I set my alarm an hour and a half ahead b/c I always hit snooze way too long. I cannot make myself get out of bed. This has always been a problem but it has gotten much, much worse after being put on stimulants. A go to bed at night at regular time, 9ish. I force myself up that late. And I do not feel like my sleep is disturbed during the night.
Do you think this wake up light will be beneficial to me??

If you get one don't get the newest one... I traded in the original one (that I loved) for the newest version (the round one) and it stinks!  It doesn't give the option to adjust the time the light will become brighter... only 30 mins... and who wants to be woken up 30 mins before they need to be up.  I am very disappointed with it.  

#12 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

If you get one don't get the newest one... I traded in the original one (that I loved) for the newest version (the round one) and it stinks!  It doesn't give the option to adjust the time the light will become brighter... only 30 mins... and who wants to be woken up 30 mins before they need to be up.  I am very disappointed with it.  

Like!

#13 sweetest_shone

sweetest_shone

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Did some research on the Philips Wake Up Light Alarm Clocks. This is what I found:
-Phillips Hf3480/60 Wake-up Light. (Has non replaceable bulbs)
-Phillips Hf3490 Wake-up light with iPod ( non replaceable bulb)
- Philips Hf3470/60 (if you just have problems awakening in the morning, this should do the trick)
-Phillips HF3485 is like the one above but with dusk simulator, extra nature sounds, and the ability to play your own MP3 music and download extra sounds from the light therapy website and of course cost a lot more.
I found all this on one website: http://bestsadlights...-you-read-this/
And thought it would be helpful for anyone else looking to buy a wake up light. The fact that some you can't change the bulbs yourself is a huge deal to me!!