Vibrating Watch Alarm Clock

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sleepylune

sleepylune

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

So my partner and I have been discussing the fact that my middle of the night xyrem alarm wakes him up. I have the volume turned up high and it takes me awhile to turn it off. Sometimes I sleep right through the alarm! The pillow alarm they sent me was a joke and neither one of us can figure out how to set it. I was searching the internet for a vibrating watch of some sort and turns out they make a bunch of them. I was looking at one that you can sync with your iphone so you don't have to fiddle with setting an actual alarm on a tiny watch, just set it as usual on your phone and it vibrates on your arm. These are expensive so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any good products, or if these will even wake me up. I'm willing to pay the price for a product as long as it means that my poor partner doesn't have to wake up with me in the middle of the night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 LauraL

LauraL

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, piano

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

So my partner and I have been discussing the fact that my middle of the night xyrem alarm wakes him up. I have the volume turned up high and it takes me awhile to turn it off. Sometimes I sleep right through the alarm! The pillow alarm they sent me was a joke and neither one of us can figure out how to set it. I was searching the internet for a vibrating watch of some sort and turns out they make a bunch of them. I was looking at one that you can sync with your iphone so you don't have to fiddle with setting an actual alarm on a tiny watch, just set it as usual on your phone and it vibrates on your arm. These are expensive so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any good products, or if these will even wake me up. I'm willing to pay the price for a product as long as it means that my poor partner doesn't have to wake up with me in the middle of the night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.co...arm clock watch

I use it when I nap at work so that coworkers in neighboring rooms don't hear an alarm. (Not sure they even could--but just in case.) I can understand why it gets a low rating on amazon--it was tricky to figure out how to set it. The comments from other reviewers helped more than the instructions (which were pretty worthless). But once I got the hang of it, it's been genius! Price was right, too! I've tried using my phone as a substitute, and it hasn't worked nearly as well for me. So I'm totally sold on this. I've never tried sleeping with it all night--not sure if I would find it too bulky. But I do love that the buttons aren't teeny tiny like some alarm clock watches. So I don't have to worry I'm pressing the wrong button.

#3 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

you know I have trouble with my Xyrem alarm sometimes as well... if I wake before the alarm I unlock it and turn the alarm off... and sometimes it still goes off? And I always hit snooze instead of off lol!

#4 The Dreamer

The Dreamer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Photography, Home Theatre Tech, Amateur Radio, Doctor Who, Volunteering, Engineering

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

you know I have trouble with my Xyrem alarm sometimes as well... if I wake before the alarm I unlock it and turn the alarm off... and sometimes it still goes off? And I always hit snooze instead of off lol!

My biggest problem with it....is when it goes off during the night and then resets itself to factory. First time it happened, I sat there in the dark clicking on the back light and slowly reprogramming it and everything. And, wondered what would happen if it did this on a night where I had to get up by a certain time.

Well, I had to get up for a flight on October 2nd....and that's what it did to me in the middle of the night that time. So, I threw it aside and fished out my shake-n-wake alarm....just have to be careful turning it off, if you press the key combo on the wrong screen it turns on the hourly vibrate chime. That's really annoying, especially since its an undocumented 'feature'. It also only has one alarm, so doesn't quite replace the Xyrem alarm. Plus an annoyingly bright blue backlight. I did get another one so I can have my two alarms....and noticed that the newer one doesn't have the chime 'feature'. Though having to press two buttons and not having much feel to tell if you're holding it upside down or not....I guess I should make the older one my second alarm.

Though I'm still using the Xyrem alarm normally...and running into the usual mistakes. Like setting the alarm, but forgetting that I have to also turn it on (A or B)...as well as the separate turn alarm on. Other alarms...if you change the alarm time, it automatically turns it on.

Yeah...forgetting to turn off the alarm after snooze is annoying...and also having to make sure its turn off the alarm that just went off, and not an extra press to turn alarms off completely.

Guess making the perfect alarm is too hard....

The Dreamer.

#5 sleepylune

sleepylune

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.co...arm+clock+watch

I use it when I nap at work so that coworkers in neighboring rooms don't hear an alarm. (Not sure they even could--but just in case.) I can understand why it gets a low rating on amazon--it was tricky to figure out how to set it. The comments from other reviewers helped more than the instructions (which were pretty worthless). But once I got the hang of it, it's been genius! Price was right, too! I've tried using my phone as a substitute, and it hasn't worked nearly as well for me. So I'm totally sold on this. I've never tried sleeping with it all night--not sure if I would find it too bulky. But I do love that the buttons aren't teeny tiny like some alarm clock watches. So I don't have to worry I'm pressing the wrong button.

Thanks for the recommendation! I got this one and another one (just in case) and the watch works perfectly! My partner is sleeping better and I'm actually waking up right away with the vibrating watch (with my phone alarm sometimes I would turn it off somehow and go back to sleep). Thanks again for the suggestion!