Photo

Anyone Else Struggling With Weight Gain?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bexterina

Bexterina

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Is anyone else out there with N struggling with weight gain? I suspect I had N for about eight years before diagnosis (which was in 09), but my weight has been increasing since right before I was diagnosed. Now I am at 5'4 and 175 lbs., which is considered obese by BMI standards. I was once a thin girl, and now I have quite a belly and double chin. I admit that I don't exercise like I should between having no energy from N, working full time, and going to grad school. I think I eat healthier now than I ever did, but my weight just keeps creeping up. I understand Ritalin is sometimes used for weight loss, but after four years on it, it hasn't had that effect.

It's really depressing and I don't feel like myself anymore. Can anyone else relate?

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Is anyone else out there with N struggling with weight gain? I suspect I had N for about eight years before diagnosis (which was in 09), but my weight has been increasing since right before I was diagnosed. Now I am at 5'4 and 175 lbs., which is considered obese by BMI standards. I was once a thin girl, and now I have quite a belly and double chin. I admit that I don't exercise like I should between having no energy from N, working full time, and going to grad school. I think I eat healthier now than I ever did, but my weight just keeps creeping up. I understand Ritalin is sometimes used for weight loss, but after four years on it, it hasn't had that effect.

It's really depressing and I don't feel like myself anymore. Can anyone else relate?

I was the opposite, I guess. I've been overweight/obese all my life, but now I've fallen into the lightly pudgy category. What changed me it seemed was getting hormone therapy. I started being able to lose weight and able to exercise better after they diagnosed me with low testosterone and put me on injections. The stimulants do help too. When my adderall was in full effect, food sounded gross. This may seem contrary to most advice, but I recommend eating out more and keeping less food at the house. I got into a routine where I would go get a small amount of food at the drive thru, then go home and eat it. Even if I was still hungry, I had no food in the house so I didn't have the option of overeating. Obviously, it would be preferable to make fresh food at home and control portions, but I found that if there was food around, it was hard for me to abstain. I'm actually much better at starving myself than just eating small portions. Once I get started, it's difficult for me to quit eating, haha. But starving is really counterproductive in the end cuz you lose as much muscle as fat. I'm 6'0" and I'm less pudgy now at 190 than I was at 175, simply because when I was that low I had done it without proper exercise so I had no muscle tone. Now my goal is just to get down to that 175 again the proper way, without sacrificing any muscle. It's slow going, but I've lost 5 lbs since July. At the end of the day, it has just been eat less, exercise more. That's how I lost from 270 lbs to where I am now. Sorry, you're going through this; I wish I had a better answer :/

#3 LauraL

LauraL

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, piano

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Yeah, I can relate. Absolutely, definitely relate. I don't have any advice for losing weight, but I do want to recommend the book "Health at Every Size": http://www.lindabacon.org/HAESbook/, which is really helping me get through the frustration surrounding the recent weight gain I've experienced. I'm trying to focus on not worrying about my weight, and instead pay attention to my lifestyle choices and habits. In the past, my weight has stabilized at a place I was comfortable with as a result of those healthy lifestyle choices--now that I'm dealing with multiple chronic illnesses and multiple medications, I don't know if it will stabilize at the same place. I'm trying to be okay with that, and realize that I can still enjoy all the benefits of a healthy and active lifestyle, even if my weight never returns to what it was.

Sorry, I don't think that's really what you're asking for. But that's how I'm dealing. Good luck! Be kind to yourself!

#4 Heidi L

Heidi L

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy Research. I have now been in remission for over five years and am going to make sure all of you will be too.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

Narcolepsy is a metabolic disorder. It alters our insulin metabolism and we produce more white fat than other people. We also produce less brown fat, which lowers our basal metabolism.
In addition, Orexin cells are glucose sensitive and high blood sugar shuts them down.
If you are eating a low fat diet, your symptoms will increase and you will gain weight. It's a fact.

If only Narcolepsy Network cared enough to share that information....

For all my research on this topic, please read my website: www.zombieinstitute.net

Best regards,
Heidi

#5 Jmac05

Jmac05

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

I was the opposite, I guess. I've been overweight/obese all my life, but now I've fallen into the lightly pudgy category. What changed me it seemed was getting hormone therapy. I started being able to lose weight and able to exercise better after they diagnosed me with low testosterone and put me on injections. The stimulants do help too. When my adderall was in full effect, food sounded gross. This may seem contrary to most advice, but I recommend eating out more and keeping less food at the house. I got into a routine where I would go get a small amount of food at the drive thru, then go home and eat it. Even if I was still hungry, I had no food in the house so I didn't have the option of overeating. Obviously, it would be preferable to make fresh food at home and control portions, but I found that if there was food around, it was hard for me to abstain. I'm actually much better at starving myself than just eating small portions. Once I get started, it's difficult for me to quit eating, haha. But starving is really counterproductive in the end cuz you lose as much muscle as fat. I'm 6'0" and I'm less pudgy now at 190 than I was at 175, simply because when I was that low I had done it without proper exercise so I had no muscle tone. Now my goal is just to get down to that 175 again the proper way, without sacrificing any muscle. It's slow going, but I've lost 5 lbs since July. At the end of the day, it has just been eat less, exercise more. That's how I lost from 270 lbs to where I am now. Sorry, you're going through this; I wish I had a better answer :/

I had issues with weight gain when taking Modifinil (Alertec) - which is funny because it was also used to treat obesity - I am not on Ritalin - only since a month ago because Modifinil was on back order - and I have experienced a complete loss of appetite. I suppose it goes to show that different people are going to react differently to different medication. It may also be wise to check what other medication you are taking (if any) and consult with your doctor to see if there is possibility that the combination of medications are a potential reason for weight gain.

#6 carrieannburns

carrieannburns

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Interests
    Photography, Photo Re-Touching, Videography, Video Editing, Directing, Movies, Film, Acting, Advertising, Graphic Design, Networking, Blogging, Web Design, Computers & Technology, Reading, Writing, Literature, History, Mythology, Urban Legends, The Study Of Religion, Traveling, Art, Fine Arts, Meeting New People, Concerts, Video Games, Study Of Health & Neurology or Neuroscience, Interior Design, Video Game Testing, Police & Services, Theatre or Theatrical Arts, Army, Military, Air Force, Volunteering, Camping, Boxing, The Drums, Piercings, Tattoos, Body Mods, Alternative Lifestyle, Boxing, Sports, Football, Hockey, (unfortunately I do not watch any sports, no one I know is really interested…)

Hobbies
    Photography, Photo Re-Touching, Videography, Video Editing, Watching Movies, Networking, Blogging, YouTube’ing, Reading, Web Design, Music, Video Games, Research, I collect; Horror paraphernalia, Action Figures (movie related), & Comic Related things…

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

You should check out some of these Facebook groups for advice on how to keep it off, or change your diet / lifestyle to possibly become more healthier and there are some people with advice who have Narcolepsy and are trying to keep weight off.. 

Rockin Bods For Pwn:

https://www.facebook...30270840384216/

Gluten Free Pwn:

https://www.facebook...01209643334907/

Lifestlye Change For The Sake Of Narcolepsy:

https://www.facebook...36055773234497/