• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Does anybody have any tips to help improve focus, concentration, etc? I've been having a rough bit these past few days, but I really need to be able to think at least semi capably at work. I was wondering there were any mental exercises or any other procedures you guys have found that promote mental alacrity.

#2 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hmm, I find jigsaw puzzles, the game memory, and at times sudoku; all to be helpful for such.
Stretching your limbs, counting as you do so, doing basic exercises similar to/or Yoga; a couple of times a day for even just 5 minutes.
That, is in a way of wording it, meditating; that alone could have a huge benefit for you all around, if it is not something you do already.
Although, the more you expect back from it, perhaps the less you will note; that is to say that you must attempt separating from anything within your mind as you do so, but or while focusing on your bodies feelings as you stretch and simply count in your head (be that holding arms out counting to 10, or 30)... This alone, has helped me (generally across the spectrum of matters physical and mental) more than any other aspect of medication/s and/or treatment/s.

Other factors which I would think relate are perhaps very much diet and possibly, more so, stress levels.
The eating is not easy to adjust; I've found minimal to moderate meat consumption, gluten-free (inflammatory food), dairy-free (either occasional cleansing periods of a couple weeks, or minimizing it), along with organic and non-GMO foods.
Even though at first and still at times, when around others or not at home to prepare what I eat, it can be pretty rough; but the weight loss and less emotional state, is great.
The stress is not either easy to adjust, almost ever; although there seems to always be ways of doing such, it can be hard to pinpoint.

Best of luck, hope something here is beneficial somehow for you.

#3 photobyj

photobyj

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

Stretching your limbs, counting as you do so, doing basic exercises similar to/or Yoga; a couple of times a day for even just 5 minutes.
That, is in a way of wording it, meditating; that alone could have a huge benefit for you all around, if it is not something you do already.
Although, the more you expect back from it, perhaps the less you will note; that is to say that you must attempt separating from anything within your mind as you do so, but or while focusing on your bodies feelings as you stretch and simply count in your head (be that holding arms out counting to 10, or 30)... This alone, has helped me (generally across the spectrum of matters physical and mental) more than any other aspect of medication/s and/or treatment/s.

I completely 100% absolutely agree with this.

#4 Niemie

Niemie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Things I do to stay awake: dog training, cooking, running, hiking, historic home restoration, travel

Things I would love to do more often if I could stay awake: reading, watching movies, writing, drinks with friends, etc.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Here's an evidence-based tip for improving concentration and wakefulness: increase core body temperature and decrease distal temperature. For me, the best way to achieve this is by consuming warm liquids, like tea and soup (watch the sugar, caffeine, and fat) and keep my hands and feet cool (good ventilation). It sounds hokie, but researchers have found this to be as effective as treatment with modafinil in patients with narcolepsy with cataplexy.

Check out the peer-reviewed article for yourself: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2225580/ Of course, it goes without saying that any change to your diet should be discussed with your physician.

Hope this helps! It's been a life-saver for me, especially as temperatures dip this fall.

#5 LauraL

LauraL

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, piano

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Here's an evidence-based tip for improving concentration and wakefulness: increase core body temperature and decrease distal temperature. For me, the best way to achieve this is by consuming warm liquids, like tea and soup (watch the sugar, caffeine, and fat) and keep my hands and feet cool (good ventilation). It sounds hokie, but researchers have found this to be as effective as treatment with modafinil in patients with narcolepsy with cataplexy.

Check out the peer-reviewed article for yourself: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2225580/ Of course, it goes without saying that any change to your diet should be discussed with your physician.

Hope this helps! It's been a life-saver for me, especially as temperatures dip this fall.

Nieme always finds the best articles! I envy your medical journal research skills. :)

#6 Niemie

Niemie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Things I do to stay awake: dog training, cooking, running, hiking, historic home restoration, travel

Things I would love to do more often if I could stay awake: reading, watching movies, writing, drinks with friends, etc.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Nieme always finds the best articles! I envy your medical journal research skills. :)

Thanks :) Let's just say that this experience has taught me to be a savvy health care consumer that's proactive in advocating for herself. That's putting it nicely.

#7 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

That's interesting. That seems to suggest that increasing blood flow to the core and brain improves function. Increasing brain oxygen levels perhaps mitigates effects of narcolepsy?

#8 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Ugh, I feel like poop today. I had a headache all morning, and now I've got that detached from reality feeling. Everything seems out of focus and dreamlike. I wonder if I'm just having a bad spell or if this is a reaction to the focalin I just started. Working like this is hell.

#9 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Did you just start the Focalin? I feel like crap when I change my med doses. Seems to last about three days and then I feel better. But if the dose is too low or too high....it doesn't go away in three days and that's when I know I have to do some more adjusting.
For focus.... I find that eating regularly....like every four hours and drinking a lot of water helps with the focus. I drink sips of cold water all day.
Another trick is chewing gum. I work at a computer all day and gum gives me something to do while I'm working. It seems to help keep the twitchy feelings down.

#10 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Very interesting! I had heard about keep my feet cold while driving, and that works like a charm... I put my heated seats on and I am guessing that is similar to drinking tea and keeping my feet cold! Thanks for the suggestion!

#11 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Did you just start the Focalin? I feel like crap when I change my med doses. Seems to last about three days and then I feel better. But if the dose is too low or too high....it doesn't go away in three days and that's when I know I have to do some more adjusting.
For focus.... I find that eating regularly....like every four hours and drinking a lot of water helps with the focus. I drink sips of cold water all day.
Another trick is chewing gum. I work at a computer all day and gum gives me something to do while I'm working. It seems to help keep the twitchy feelings down.

Yea, I started the focalin. So far, it seems really lackluster. But I'm reading it's like watered down Ritalin. It maybe too weak for EDS control. Something weird with me, for some reason, sometimes when I get less sleep I can focus better. If I continually sleep deprive myself it gets bad. But everyday this week I felt like crap, despite getting 8.5-9 hours of sleep. Then last night I stayed up way too late reading a book and barely got 7. I feel sleepier, but my focus and critical reasoning skills are better today. I don't get that. This has happened before. I wonder if sleep is too REMy, does it have a negative impact instead of a positive one. I wish I didn't work sometimes, so I could just try screwing with my sleep schedule to see what happens. I've wanted to try the routine where you nap an hour every four hours instead of bulk sleeping for some time now.

#12 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

Augh, I am useless at work today. I am freaking out over nothing and I can't concentrate and any time I try to do anything I am afraid I will screw it up and I get paralyzed (figuratively). That's the last time I drink two gallons of tea on a Sunday!

#13 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Ugh, seems the 5-HTP only worked in the temporary, I'm back to being dumb as a box of rocks.

#14 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

I finally figured out why alcohol makes me feel better. It obviously doesn't reduce my fatigue or boost my alacrity, but alcohol prevent a person from falling past stage 2 sleep, so I think it keeps the REM brain waves away whilst awake as well. Interesting.