• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Does his happen to anyone else ? I take a nap every evening after dinner. I set a timer for 20 - 30 minutes and close my eyes. Then right away I am in another room talking to someone, so I know I'm dreaming. I then wake myself up and look at the timer and see that its only been a couple of minutes. Tonight it was less that two minutes from closing my eyes to REM onset.
The problem is I feel like I am being cheated out of my nap when I jumping ahead to the next alternate reality without ever getting a chance to sleep. Sometimes I get up because I might as well be awake if I just going to dream I'm awake anyway.
Although I know a lot of narcoleptics have trouble waking up in the morning, I get up without an alarm clock . I get so tired of dreaming I'm awake and having to participate in my dreams I wake myself up. It is seems easier to be awake than dreaming I'm at work, school, or who knows what.

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

That's pretty much textbook N unfortunately. The cause for cataplexies, hallucinations, and cognition issues are actually the theta waves from REM sleep entering wakeful brain wave patterns.

#3 songbird

songbird

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

I have pretty much the same experience. I start dreaming almost immediately- sometimes before I'm completely asleep. Sometimes I think of my mind as a television that never shuts off- it just changes channels. It would be nice to just have some blank time. I know I do have it, but it doesn't feel substantial. Some dreams I participate in, and others I feel more like a spectator. It's not really lucid dreaming- I can set the stage or the mood, but I haven't figured out how to do much more than that. I've tried imagining blankness as I go to bed, trying to "turn off the tv", but mostly I just end up with boring dreams, lol.

A lot of people put effort into lucid dreaming, but if you come by it naturally, have you ever tried consciously giving up control of your dreams? Or set yourself up for a really boring dream you don't have to participate in?

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Whenever I realize I'm dreaming, I usually wake up at that point. Sometimes I feel like I influence my dreams some, but it's not because I'm conscious of the fact that it's a dream. More like my mind is like "That didn't play out right, lets try again."

#5 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have pretty much the same experience. I start dreaming almost immediately- sometimes before I'm completely asleep. Sometimes I think of my mind as a television that never shuts off- it just changes channels. It would be nice to just have some blank time. I know I do have it, but it doesn't feel substantial. Some dreams I participate in, and others I feel more like a spectator. It's not really lucid dreaming- I can set the stage or the mood, but I haven't figured out how to do much more than that. I've tried imagining blankness as I go to bed, trying to "turn off the tv", but mostly I just end up with boring dreams, lol.

A lot of people put effort into lucid dreaming, but if you come by it naturally, have you ever tried consciously giving up control of your dreams? Or set yourself up for a really boring dream you don't have to participate in?

I find that I have been dreaming less since being treated. With Xyrem I normally just have a really long bizarre dream, and that is about it! When I wake I feel much more "rested" but my EDS is still about the same. I used to control my dreams pretty easily and realize I was still awake but creating my own dream! But, as soon as I was fully asleep I wouldn't have the control anymore... well on a rare occasion I would but normally wake shortly after this realization.

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

I find that I have been dreaming less since being treated. With Xyrem I normally just have a really long bizarre dream, and that is about it! When I wake I feel much more "rested" but my EDS is still about the same. I used to control my dreams pretty easily and realize I was still awake but creating my own dream! But, as soon as I was fully asleep I wouldn't have the control anymore... well on a rare occasion I would but normally wake shortly after this realization.

Waking up rested sounds like an improvement to me! Haven't felt that since I was a kid. Really wish doctor would quit dragging and call me back with an appt. I want me some Xyrem. He's said on occasion that he's actually seen it "fix" people. So I'm cautiously optimistic.