Photo

Night Terrors!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 corey91386

corey91386

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Family, Feeling Better!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

Last night after about an hour of falling asleep, I woke up to realize I was still in a dream state. I was awake but still dreaming. If that makes any sense. It scared the crap out of me. I got up and walked around and was very spaced out and dizzy. I felt like I had no control over my brain and its thoughts. I had to wake my wife up to calm me down, and take a klonopin. I woke up in a better state this morning, but this event was the worst to date yet since my narcolepsy diagnosis. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar events.

#2 sunset

sunset

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Before N+C : Gardening, taking my Doberman to the Dog Park or Petsmart. Going to remodel Kitchen and one bathroom, Like to draw plans for the contracter

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

Last night after about an hour of falling asleep, I woke up to realize I was still in a dream state. I was awake but still dreaming. If that makes any sense. It scared the crap out of me. I got up and walked around and was very spaced out and dizzy. I felt like I had no control over my brain and its thoughts. I had to wake my wife up to calm me down, and take a klonopin. I woke up in a better state this morning, but this event was the worst to date yet since my narcolepsy diagnosis. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar events.

Hi Corey,

Yes I have had the same thing happen to me and I call it dream hangover....I will dream about something life threatning and when I wake up I feel it really happened. The worse is when you wake up and you can't move or speak . Little did I know that this is a sympton of N. and it started happening to me about 26 years ago.

I was just diagnosed with N+C. and I am glad I found this support group. I wish the best for you....

#3 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

It's not technically a night terror, as those actually happen in delta sleep. It's actually the twin to the hypnagogic hallucination called hypnopompic. And yes, these happen quite frequently. In fact, I think msot episodes of sleep paralysis happen in the hypnopompic state versus the hypnogogic state.

Wiki Article

#4 Rapideyemovement

Rapideyemovement

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

I've had perhaps 10 events in my lifetime. Mine were more of a paralysis after awakening in the middle of the night. The is no walking around, I am motionless. Always there is a sense of danger and terror that accompinies these events and a feeling that there is someone or something just out of sight. You feel the presence perhaps just outside the window, in the closet or in the room with you but in a in a postion you can't see because you cannot turn your (paralized) head to look. Once (and only once, thank God) I had the sensation of levitating about 2 feet above my bed,
this might sound like a cool sensation as you read this, but I assure you, it is anything but. There is a reason they are called night TERRORS.

#5 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Sorry that was a rough one. I read some of your other posts and want to ask you a few questions.

How long have you been taking klonopin, how often and how much. The reason I ask is because klonopin lengthens sleep, but reduces stage 3 and REM sleep. You actually sleep longer with reduced quality. Klopopin also has a very long half life, so each dose continues sedating for a long time. Discontinuing it requires a very slow process of withdrawal and this is really important.

If you have already begun reducing klonopin, the reduction causes a REM rebound so it actually causes vivid dreams.

What stimulant medication are you on.

You mention in another post that you are considering Xyrem. Klonopin is a sedative/hypnotic and supresses respiration so it should not be taken with Xyrem because the two together are potentially lethal.

I had been on Klonopin for a misdiagnosis. If you have been on Klonopin for a while, you will need to work closely with your docs on an exit strategy. I have done that myself and learned the hard way that doctors know more about starting medications than getting people off them. I will be glad to share what I have learned. This is the best website I found after the fact: http://recovery-road.org/ I wish I had discovered this information sooner.

#6 corey91386

corey91386

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Family, Feeling Better!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Sorry that was a rough one. I read some of your other posts and want to ask you a few questions.

How long have you been taking klonopin, how often and how much. The reason I ask is because klonopin lengthens sleep, but reduces stage 3 and REM sleep. You actually sleep longer with reduced quality. Klopopin also has a very long half life, so each dose continues sedating for a long time. Discontinuing it requires a very slow process of withdrawal and this is really important.

If you have already begun reducing klonopin, the reduction causes a REM rebound so it actually causes vivid dreams.

What stimulant medication are you on.

You mention in another post that you are considering Xyrem. Klonopin is a sedative/hypnotic and supresses respiration so it should not be taken with Xyrem because the two together are potentially lethal.

I had been on Klonopin for a misdiagnosis. If you have been on Klonopin for a while, you will need to work closely with your docs on an exit strategy. I have done that myself and learned the hard way that doctors know more about starting medications than getting people off them. I will be glad to share what I have learned. This is the best website I found after the fact: http://recovery-road.org/ I wish I had discovered this information sooner.

Hank

I was originally diagnosed with anxiety and depression before narcolepsy was on the table. I am currently on prozac. I take the klonopin as needed. I did not realize how bad it was for rem. I would say I take a few a month. My doctors never mentioned it. I was told if I go with xylem then i will not be allowed to use the klonopin.

#7 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

I've had perhaps 10 events in my lifetime. Mine were more of a paralysis after awakening in the middle of the night. The is no walking around, I am motionless. Always there is a sense of danger and terror that accompinies these events and a feeling that there is someone or something just out of sight. You feel the presence perhaps just outside the window, in the closet or in the room with you but in a in a postion you can't see because you cannot turn your (paralized) head to look. Once (and only once, thank God) I had the sensation of levitating about 2 feet above my bed,
this might sound like a cool sensation as you read this, but I assure you, it is anything but. There is a reason they are called night TERRORS.

Yup that SP with HH to the T... I was usually sucked into my mattress though instead of levitating in the air. I think SP with HH is why people think they have been abducted by aliens! I really used to think I was being dragged to hell by demons, and upon getting out of the SP I would usually have a massive panic attack and puke! Imagine my relief when I found out what was really going on!!

#8 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yup that SP with HH to the T... I was usually sucked into my mattress though instead of levitating in the air. I think SP with HH is why people think they have been abducted by aliens! I really used to think I was being dragged to hell by demons, and upon getting out of the SP I would usually have a massive panic attack and puke! Imagine my relief when I found out what was really going on!!

I feel the sinking as well, in the two episodes of SP I've had. The first time I was pretty scared.