• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Well, I was laying in my bed earlier, napping in my usual staccato, narcoleptic pattern. During a bout of semi-wakefulness, something really bizarre occurred. I don't know if any of you guys get this, but when I get really sleepy sometimes, I get the irresistible urge to loll my eyes back and forth randomly and violently. Anyway, I got that urge whilst laying there, and I had the crazy thought, "hey, maybe it'll make me sleepier if I start to roll my eyes." So I did, and it actually started to work. I got closer and closer to sleep. Then, I felt myself go paralyzed, in an odd gradual sinking sensation, and my roommate started yelling gibberish at the cat in the other room, whilst the dog ran around my room like a nut. Neither thing actually occurred of course. I couldn't see anything because my eyes were closed so these were purely auditory hallucinations; I think my roommate yelled "Stand down, Sergeant Cat! You are not a representative of my kind!" followed by more nonsensical (even more so to the point of indecipherability) jabber. So yeah, that was bizarre.

#2 platy

platy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:New narcolepsy treatments, storytelling, words

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Well, I was laying in my bed earlier, napping in my usual staccato, narcoleptic pattern. During a bout of semi-wakefulness, something really bizarre occurred. I don't know if any of you guys get this, but when I get really sleepy sometimes, I get the irresistible urge to loll my eyes back and forth randomly and violently. Anyway, I got that urge whilst laying there, and I had the crazy thought, "hey, maybe it'll make me sleepier if I start to roll my eyes." So I did, and it actually started to work. I got closer and closer to sleep. Then, I felt myself go paralyzed, in an odd gradual sinking sensation, and my roommate started yelling gibberish at the cat in the other room, whilst the dog ran around my room like a nut. Neither thing actually occurred of course. I couldn't see anything because my eyes were closed so these were purely auditory hallucinations; I think my roommate yelled "Stand down, Sergeant Cat! You are not a representative of my kind!" followed by more nonsensical (even more so to the point of indecipherability) jabber. So yeah, that was bizarre.

Welcome to sleep paralysis! Yay....

The sensations you describe- the odd gradual sinking sensation, feeling oneself go paralyzed, vivid auditory hallucinations- is exactly like my sleep paralysis episodes if I don't 'catch' myself in time.

#3 novacat

novacat

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:horse back riding, hiking, eating chocolate, sleeping, helping others, learning things, music, guitar sometimes, hanging out with my dog(:

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

OH MY GOD. that's what that sinking sensation i've been feeling has been all along I've felt it so many times and never knew what it was.

#4 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

It is weird how you can catch yourself before the SP happens. During naps when I feel like Ive drempt for hours and its only been 5 mins so I roll over go back to sleep and again wake after 5 mins... anyhow the longer I let this go on, its a disaster waiting to happen. I try to stop it before it happens by getting up only to realize I am dreaming that I got up, and bam there I am fighting to get out of the frozen scary ass state, being pulled into the bed and trying to gasp for air... Sorry if that didnt make much sense. Thats how naps go for me, hence the reason I dont nap often! Oh and napping with a hangover is a sure fire way to get dragged to hell by demons!

My SP went away with Xyrem and all the sudden started up again? Anyone have thought on that?

#5 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

It is weird how you can catch yourself before the SP happens. During naps when I feel like Ive drempt for hours and its only been 5 mins so I roll over go back to sleep and again wake after 5 mins... anyhow the longer I let this go on, its a disaster waiting to happen. I try to stop it before it happens by getting up only to realize I am dreaming that I got up, and bam there I am fighting to get out of the frozen scary ass state, being pulled into the bed and trying to gasp for air... Sorry if that didnt make much sense. Thats how naps go for me, hence the reason I dont nap often! Oh and napping with a hangover is a sure fire way to get dragged to hell by demons!

My SP went away with Xyrem and all the sudden started up again? Anyone have thought on that?

How is your sleep hygiene? I know you've been feeling better on Xyrem, so if your anything like me, that prolly means you started to push the boundaries more. I have to fight the urge to start staying up later and what all every time I find a new treatment that helps a little. I wish I could pay someone to just inject me with sleep at 11PM against my will every night.

#6 SeeBee

SeeBee

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, gardening, online gaming, crafts of all kinds, and the pursuit of knowledge.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Definitely look into your sleep hygiene, especially if you're not feeling as rested. Keep in mind it might be stuff beyond your control that's disrupting your sleep too, like a restless partner, or neighbors who like to forcibly throw dishes into the cabinet at 2 AM...

Also, sorry if this is TMI, but for me the presence of SP, HH and vivid dreams sometimes is triggered by my cycle. The closer I am to a period, the more likely I am to get all of that. Thankfully, the dreams and HH aren't usually as vicious or horrifying as they used to be, and they don't seem to interfere with my quality of sleep once I actually get there.

#7 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

How is your sleep hygiene? I know you've been feeling better on Xyrem, so if your anything like me, that prolly means you started to push the boundaries more. I have to fight the urge to start staying up later and what all every time I find a new treatment that helps a little. I wish I could pay someone to just inject me with sleep at 11PM against my will every night.

I have very good sleep hygiene, I start getting ready for bed at 10:00 and am in bed by 10:30... on the weekends I may go to bed around 11:00 but am usually way to tired to stay up that late. I wake around 6:00am every morning... on weekends I wake and take my pup for a walk and then crawl back in bed <-- this is where I run into trouble, but seriously who wants to be up at 6:00am on a Saturday/Sunday morning Not this girl!

I sleep in a cool dark room, white noise, ect... and no caffeine after my morning coffee... and no caffeine from Chocolate after 2:00pm

Xyrem is kindof like injecting us with sleep... the reason you are having trouble with it is just because your body is still getting used to it... soon you will just drift off to sleep after taking it!

#8 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Definitely look into your sleep hygiene, especially if you're not feeling as rested. Keep in mind it might be stuff beyond your control that's disrupting your sleep too, like a restless partner, or neighbors who like to forcibly throw dishes into the cabinet at 2 AM...

Also, sorry if this is TMI, but for me the presence of SP, HH and vivid dreams sometimes is triggered by my cycle. The closer I am to a period, the more likely I am to get all of that. Thankfully, the dreams and HH aren't usually as vicious or horrifying as they used to be, and they don't seem to interfere with my quality of sleep once I actually get there.

I live in a super quite place (its great) I sleep through the night only waking once to take dose 2. I am thinking I will be starting a pill that takes my period away... I have noticed my symptoms are so much worse as it approaches. I cannot take the fluctuations.

My HH have gotten way more calm as well, and the SP doesn't seem to last as long or I can fight my way out of it... Its just the weekend naps, its seems like since I don't get stuck in REM at night anymore it makes up for it during the nap! Sucks cuz I love a nice long nap on a Saturday morning!