DeathRabbit

Annoying Reactions Of Friends/family/acquaintances To Narcolepsy

30 posts in this topic

Well the next time one of your family members gets a cut or a headache, just laugh at them and then be like "See, that's how it is when you make fun of my problems"

As Meg said: Like!

The whole diagnostic process has been stressful for me. Multiple doctors, multiple tests, medication changes, I've even changed jobs to try to better accommodate my symptoms. Just yesterday I had lunch with a friend who knew part of the story but I'd been pretty vague. She asked how things were going and I spilled it--told her everything. I tried to simplify and explain things well but I could tell she didn't really get it. Her response? "You don't drink coffee though, do you? That makes all the difference for me." I tried to explain that I can still fall asleep on Adderall but she continued, "I really think you should try coffee or one of those energy drinks." I eventually gave up. As we were leaving, she said, "Keep me posted, I want to know when they get that taken care of." Taken care of?! I don't have a wart for Pete's sake. When I told her it doesn't get better, she looked at me blankly and I wished I'd never brought it up. Man oh man.

The whole diagnostic process has been stressful for me. Multiple doctors, multiple tests, medication changes, I've even changed jobs to try to better accommodate my symptoms. Just yesterday I had lunch with a friend who knew part of the story but I'd been pretty vague. She asked how things were going and I spilled it--told her everything. I tried to simplify and explain things well but I could tell she didn't really get it. Her response? "You don't drink coffee though, do you? That makes all the difference for me." I tried to explain that I can still fall asleep on Adderall but she continued, "I really think you should try coffee or one of those energy drinks." I eventually gave up. As we were leaving, she said, "Keep me posted, I want to know when they get that taken care of." Taken care of?! I don't have a wart for Pete's sake. When I told her it doesn't get better, she looked at me blankly and I wished I'd never brought it up. Man oh man.

ANNOYING!!!!! I've gotten that same response a bunch of times. My friends will say, "don't you drink like 80 red bulls a day?!" No, usually just one, but I can fall asleep right after I drink one. But because they CAN'T fall asleep after they have one they're all  :blink:  :huh: I also don't drink coffee because I think it's gross, but people think I should because they think it will "help."

The other day my dad was asking when I was going to use his place in AZ to vacation in the fall, and I'm like, "I don't know because I was thinking I may go to the narcolepsy conference in MN...need to decide on that first." EYE ROLL. BIG SMIRK. EYE ROLL. SNICKER. My dad is a good guy, he just doesn't understand and doesn't know how to handle that which he doesn't understand. But still, it's annoying.

This summer I told two women, separately, about me being narcoleptic.

Each one responded by saying "I think my husband has that too"

With the first one I was kind of excited, i don't think I ever met someone else who has narcolepsy, but later I realized she just meant 

he was sleepy sometimes??

With the second one I was just plain offended. No, being Narcoleptic is NOT like your husband falling asleep while watching a movie after a long day!  I used to fall asleep everywhere -at school, in buses, cars, movie theatres, during meals,in the bathtub- and even though i am not as sleepy these days my life has deeply been affected by my sleep disorder. 

I remember drinking coffee and taking caffeine pills to try to stay awake in college, cause that's what my friends did, I would of course fall asleep anyway but when i woke up my heart was beating so fast!

This summer I told two women, separately, about me being narcoleptic.

Each one responded by saying "I think my husband has that too"

With the first one I was kind of excited, i don't think I ever met someone else who has narcolepsy, but later I realized she just meant

he was sleepy sometimes??

With the second one I was just plain offended. No, being Narcoleptic is NOT like your husband falling asleep while watching a movie after a long day! I used to fall asleep everywhere -at school, in buses, cars, movie theatres, during meals,in the bathtub- and even though i am not as sleepy these days my life has deeply been affected by my sleep disorder.

I remember drinking coffee and taking caffeine pills to try to stay awake in college, cause that's what my friends did, I would of course fall asleep anyway but when i woke up my heart was beating so fast!

You must be feeling quite frustrated. You said summer; earlier or recently? Have you had any other discussions with them since? What was it about those two in particular that prompted you to share your N?

I think you likely selected them in particular because you believed they were likely to either understand, be supportive or both; which makes the reaction that much more disappointing.