• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

I've been sick as a dog with flu all weekend long. Anyways, yesterday, when I was sleeping in (having taken off work), I needed to get up to use the restroom. I was laying in bed falling in and out of a confused hypnagogic state. So I got up and started to walk to the restroom. I happened to look over at my computer chair and noticed there was an energy drink and pizza boxes sitting in my computer chair. I realized that wasn't right and I was still dreaming, so I tried to open my eyes and move around. I could not. I couldn't do anything. I was still confused, so I didn't know what was happening and I thought I was falling into a coma. I started trying to kick my legs violently until they finally started twitching. But as soon as I quit I became re-paralyzed. This cycle happened 3 or 4 times, before I had the presence of mind to stand up after freeing myself. Anyways, that was scary as crap to experience for the first time. All the experiences of sleep paralysis I had heard of involved the sufferer having his/her eyes open, so being unable to open my eyes super-frightened me, because I've seen too many episodes of House and was thinking locked-in syndrome or the like.

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

That sounds aweful. My sleep paralysis is really benign- that sounds like torture. All my symptoms seem to worsen when I feel sick though. Hope you're feeling better and I hope that did not wig you out. Sometimes my dreams feel like that movie Inception. Layers of dreams where they are participating- I loved that movie. Just another day in the life- it does keep things interesting for sure.

#3 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

I have found that there is something about the flu that really changes my wake-dream state. It is like I become two people laying next to myself in bed having two seperate minds that are aware of what the other is thinking . It is totally weird but goes away when I'm over the flu.

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

I have found that there is something about the flu that really changes my wake-dream state. It is like I become two people laying next to myself in bed having two seperate minds that are aware of what the other is thinking . It is totally weird but goes away when I'm over the flu.

Make that N separate minds and that's me. There are like a million dissociated lines of nonlogic going through my head sometimes in that in between sleep state, especially when I am sick. My hallucinations used to at least sort of make sense. Like when I got stuck in the Lost Woods from Zelda 1 for like an hour. I was laying on my bed spacing out and I envisioned I was a 3d character on that 2d plane. I wondered around forever until a moblin hit me with a spear xD

#5 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

I've been sick as a dog with flu all weekend long. Anyways, yesterday, when I was sleeping in (having taken off work), I needed to get up to use the restroom. I was laying in bed falling in and out of a confused hypnagogic state. So I got up and started to walk to the restroom. I happened to look over at my computer chair and noticed there was an energy drink and pizza boxes sitting in my computer chair. I realized that wasn't right and I was still dreaming, so I tried to open my eyes and move around. I could not. I couldn't do anything. I was still confused, so I didn't know what was happening and I thought I was falling into a coma. I started trying to kick my legs violently until they finally started twitching. But as soon as I quit I became re-paralyzed. This cycle happened 3 or 4 times, before I had the presence of mind to stand up after freeing myself. Anyways, that was scary as crap to experience for the first time. All the experiences of sleep paralysis I had heard of involved the sufferer having his/her eyes open, so being unable to open my eyes super-frightened me, because I've seen too many episodes of House and was thinking locked-in syndrome or the like.

Thats how mine are, they push me back into the dream... and then I think I have gotten out of it, but then realize that I am still stuck. I used to fall asleep on the couch when I was a nanny (baby was napping) after 3/4 times of being sucked back into a terrifying dream I would put up a huge fight and try to roll off the sofa, sometimes it would still continue... It really is terrible, used to happen all the time! But, now not so much. If I realize what is going on I am more likely to make it stop after the 2nd relapse into a SP/HH state. I found the more I learned the easier it was to avoid... I also try not to nap! It sucks not to nap but if I do a damned demon will get me!

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thats how mine are, they push me back into the dream... and then I think I have gotten out of it, but then realize that I am still stuck. I used to fall asleep on the couch when I was a nanny (baby was napping) after 3/4 times of being sucked back into a terrifying dream I would put up a huge fight and try to roll off the sofa, sometimes it would still continue... It really is terrible, used to happen all the time! But, now not so much. If I realize what is going on I am more likely to make it stop after the 2nd relapse into a SP/HH state. I found the more I learned the easier it was to avoid... I also try not to nap! It sucks not to nap but if I do a damned demon will get me!

I've been sorta couch locked before by Hypnogia. Makes me wonder if maybe I was paralyzed too and it just didnt occur to me to move.

#7 Rainbow

Rainbow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

I wrote about this in my Blog!  I was young but learned to control my experience... of course I failed to get a diagnosis until I am 38 but hey!  that happens.

http://womaninperil.blogspot.ca/

I am starting to realize that hyponogic hallucination and sleep paralysis are related, not discrete occurrences. My last occurrence was when I woke up from a dream and seeing my son popping the air mattress I was on and running away, so I started to discipline the poor boy and then I looked and my bed was back to my normal mattress, not an air mattress.

#8 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

This is a good thread.  Can relate to all of this.  Unfortunately, or not.?.

Very occasionally, yet always when I have some 'stress or anxiousness revolving around whatever upcoming or next day thing is perhaps planned (which may not be of my normal daily routine)'.

The dreams can be frightening but, more often than not (and thankfully) I will note it occurring and perhaps even slightly be able to effect the course of it, for the better.

That's if I can remind myself of the N, or simply remember where I am as well as possibly managing to open my eye/s just enough to actually note that all is well; yet even then, trickery can seem to occur.

Waking up within a dream, which is within another dream, sometimes even within a dream within the other dream awakening knowing (rather) thinking I've awoken from all dreaming, and then finally actually awakening and just thinking to myself: 'wow, that was deep and I'm so glad that I do understand, the bit of knowledge regarding it, which is basically recognition of the condition/s and how they can proceed variant-ly'...

I've really only, in person, talked with perhaps 1, maybe 2, other person/s who can describe similar experiences. 

When young, waking up for the paper route I had, could take so so long, it was really hard to move; that I'll never know though, as to whether it was a form of sleep paralysis.

As Rainbow sort of mentioned, it does seem that HH and SP can relate, at times...

#9 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I found as soon as I learned what was happening I was able to break the cycle.  I really hate when you think you have woken only to find you are still asleep... then you wake again, yup still dreaming, and then again and again!  SO crazy!

#10 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

I've been sorta couch locked before by Hypnogia. Makes me wonder if maybe I was paralyzed too and it just didnt occur to me to move.

I never thought I had sleep paralysis before, at least not very many times. I recently read Julie Flygare's book, and I was shocked to realize that I have indeed had many episodes of SP. But they aren't the typical, "omg I can't move," freak out type of SP. Rather, I'm in a half sleep state, which I guess is probably just HH, and I can't move. But I never noticed that I can't move as SP because it never freaked me out! It just doesn't really seem to matter. Maybe because my HH aren't usually scary? They're usually just me kind of trying to see what is going on around me. It's like I have an idea, maybe I'm hearing the dog, or is my TV on? And I'll briefly register that I can't move, but it doesn't seem to bother me as much as not knowing what is going on in my environment.But again, these aren't scary situations and I'm not freaking out trying to move. So it is just weird!

But I do have scary hallucinations when falling asleep sometimes. I think I posted a topic about this in the hallucinations section, but basically (especially when I'm really tired) I see a series of images in my head, like pictures, sometimes they move but they just keep moving faster and turn in to new things. Might start out with scenes, and then it morphs to people or to more scenes. These can get scary because they turn dark, like deep ocean water (which scares the crap out of me!) or creepy figures. But the scary part about these, was that I could never 'wake up'. I always attributed it to the fact that I was just so tired that I couldn't wake myself up. My body felt heavy and lead like. Then I realized, it's SP! Its not that I'm just too tired, but that I am paralyzed! It was a very intense realization that this was SP, because I had never actually thought of either of these things as being SP.

I never put the HH and SP together until I read that a good portion of the time, the two happen at the same time. Then I put the pieces together, and wow, I have SP more often than I ever thought. 

DeathRabbit- I hope that you are feeling better! I think that our symptoms can be worse depending on our health and hopefully that if you're feeling better, you don't experience SP. But I do think that as a lot of others have said, we can control these events to some extent. I think that a big part of why I never noticed the SP was the fact that I wasn't afraid by it. Of course, that was also because I wasn't afraid of the HHs I was experiencing. During the scary HH scenarios, the series of images, I generally do freak out more and desperately want to wake up, but I've always been able to eventually. I just try and tell myself that this is not real, and these things can't hurt me. Thank goodness, I can recognize them as 'not real.' I know some people have a harder time doing so. Meditation exercises might be helpful as well. Even though you are almost putting yourself in to a type of SP, it is voluntary and you can guide your mind in to peaceful things! Good luck:)

#11 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

I don't get the paralysis often, thank goodness. When I do, it's not scary anymore, just annoying. I'll keep dreaming that I'm getting out of bed, only to find out I've not moved. Once I realize I'm in SP, I can usually break out of it by sheer force of willpower. It just usually takes a while in that addled state for me to realize what's going on.

#12 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

I hate, hate, hate SP.  I'm sorry you have experienced this!  What it helping you more these days to get out of it?

For me, it happens without major stress, but with increased stress, it happens almost nightly and for me, is very difficult to get out of it.  The most difficult is SP during naps.  When things are really bad, I cycle through SP multiple times a night, not being able to get out of it.

I usually try to get myself to fall back asleep and literally tell myself, "This is SP.  Relax.  Go back to sleep and when you wake up, you will be able to move and breath normally."      This doesn't always work, but sometimes it helps.  I wrote in another thread my SP is not always accompanied with HH.

#13 SnoozleBear

SnoozleBear

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

Hey DeathRabbit,

So sorry you are feeling run down/sick, hope your feeling better! Its horrible having sleep paraylsis, the first time it happened to me, I was so terrified, and also kept dreaming that I was awake only to find I was "trapped" in my body, unable to move.

I mainly had sleep paralysis as a teen and became a little less panicky.... over the past two years its only happend once or twice that I can remember.. and felt panicky..but less than usual, more exhausted form the bouts of efforts of trying to love limbs, lift head, and open eyes (like you DeathRabbit) my sleep paralysis happens with my eyes closed.. I generally have to wait it out and then try to wake up again...ocassionally, when having SP towards the end of coming out of it, im able to open my eyes a miniscule amount, not enough to see anything, usually only a flicker of light comes through, ...then a minute or two later might be able to move...

When i am in an SP episode, I feel like im screaming at myself to "just move!, wake up! open your eyes!"

I think? I had my first Hallucination ive had for a long time, last night . I woke up at 3am, looked around the room and after a few minutes was falling asleep again, when all of a sudden I swore there was someone in the corner of the room,...he formed out of dots... for some reason it was a tall man with a hoodie on and a large basketball silk jersey...an 08 number on it...I have *no* idea why *that* was what I saw... or why it freaked me out! I guess just the fact that I thought there was someone in the room... after calming myself down.. and looking carefully/waking up a bit, turning on the light and seeing there was no one there, I finally fell asleep again... until, 4am... sigh

I dont know why all of a sudden my symptoms have sky rocketted...maybe because of reduced meds...either way im a bit scared...dont really know who to talk to...

Anyway..sorry all... I sort of de-railed the conversation there - DeathRabbit, just wanted to re-assure you, you are not alone, and Im so sorry, you are having to deal with all this!...and definitely understand how much worse tiredness and every day tasks and symptoms are, when you're not pychsically well.

#14 eph

eph

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

I hate, hate, hate SP.  I'm sorry you have experienced this!  What it helping you more these days to get out of it?

For me, it happens without major stress, but with increased stress, it happens almost nightly and for me, is very difficult to get out of it.  The most difficult is SP during naps.  When things are really bad, I cycle through SP multiple times a night, not being able to get out of it.

I usually try to get myself to fall back asleep and literally tell myself, "This is SP.  Relax.  Go back to sleep and when you wake up, you will be able to move and breath normally."      This doesn't always work, but sometimes it helps.  I wrote in another thread my SP is not always accompanied with HH.

Hi dormir,

Like deathrabbit mentioned in an earlier post, sheer force of will is pretty much the only way I have found to make sleep paralysis better but it does work.

My episodes are almost ALWAYS like the one he described above and I used to be utterly TERRIFIED by them when they first started occurring.

However, if your mind is awake and you are aware that you are paralyzed, the first thing you need to tell yourself is that it WILL end, sleep paralysis ALWAYS ends.

Another trick is to try to wiggle your toes after you have calmed down and when you are certain that you are fully awake. I've found that attempting to move my fingers and toes won't work at first, but it seems like it minimizes the duration of the episode.

I had an episode during my PSG where (I think upon a random awakening, but not sure) my mind woke up and like deathrabbit, I couldn't open my eyes. My next instinct in my muddled state was to scream out for help, which I had been able to do in past episodes (though it came out as wimpering) but to my horror, I realized my vocal chords were paralyzed as well. However, by following the steps above I managed to exit the SP state fairly quickly and without HH. It seems like the more fearful you are, the more HH you get and the worse it is. At least for me.

Also, sleeping on your back makes it more likely to occur so if you could try to sleep on your stomach that sometimes helps.

I always sleep on my stomach now and while I wake up with back pain sometimes, it has greatly reduced the occurence of sleep paralysis.

Of course, that didn't fly during the sleep study, hence my sleep paralysis episode -_-

#15 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

My roommate always complained about it happening to him on his back, too. I'm really not sure, it's hard for me to remember any of these episodes very well. I've only had the sort of locked in SP twice I think. The rest of them have been they type where I just keep hallucinating I'm moving even tho I'm actually not.

#16 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Oh and thanks for all the well-wishing guys. All in all, my N is pretty much under control now. I'm still sleepy a lot of the time, but the acute attacks of brain fog and extreme sleepiness hav been greatly reduced. I think it's even been like a month since I have had sleep paralysis. I am getting more hallucinations, but believe it or not, that's usually a good sign for me. When I drift off to sleep hallucinating, it usually means a good night's rest for me.

#17 Samwise

Samwise

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Too many!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

I can't remember if I wrote about it on here or not, but I had my first SP experience a few months ago. I have terrible hypnapompic hallucinations, hardly ever hypnagogic, and it seems like they're morphing and evolving over time. It used to be rats, bees, etc, coming out of my fan, crawling in my bed, and so on. Now it's usually the feeling of something or seeing someone in the room. Anyway, one night I was laying down on my stomach (though that doesn't really make a difference for me) and when I woke up I felt like something was in the room. I couldn't move, and then it felt like whatever that thing was started to crawl up onto my pillow next to me (hubs was out of town, unfortunately). It was the most terrifying experience ever... All I kept telling myself was, "it's not real, it's not real" over and over again. Finally I snapped out of it but yeah, it sucked. I think it has happened a few times since, but I'm not sure..

PS, feel better DeathRabbit :)

#18 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm lucky that my hallucinations are rarely scary. Ther'es been a few times during a medication change that the gates of hell opened on me, but usually my hallucinations are more just like my brain starts showing me random images and having random thoughts, I hear weird phrases that make no sense, etc. It's actually kinda fun sometimes, just because it feels a tad euphoric. Plus, usually, if I hallucinate a lot prior to sleep, it means I'm going to sleep soundly. If I can't hallucinate beforehand, I'll be waking up 5 or 6 times that night for sure.

And thanks for all the love you guys! :)

#19 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

eph:   Thanks!  SP used to scare me.  It doesn't usually scare me anymore now that I know what it is, but I still hate it.  There is nothing pleasant about it, at least not for me.  I want it to stop.

death rabbit:  It sounds like you have turned  a little corner with your narcolepsy diagnosis and treatment.  That's good!

#20 2Tired4This

2Tired4This

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Is it weird that I had to change this field a little once I started my Meds? XD Now im more interested in computers, science, social-sciences, space, and the mechanics of cars more than i'm interested in girls.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

I had always thought SP was more of a state where you are completely conscious and know you are awake and know you can't move but somehow still can't move. 

But now that I read your experience this sounds like what can happen to me when I take naps on a non-stimulant day. 

The first couple times I felt as if for some unexplainable reason I might die if I let my eyes close so I was trying desperately to stick my tongue out, thinking that it would somehow save me from my "death".

The most recent experiences were similar to the ones you related. It seemed as if I was awake and exeriencing reality in my bed, but at the same time I was still dreaming my weird dreams. Almost as if two realities were being overlayed onto eachother with myself being completely immersed into both at the same time. I can remember trying to turn myself over to a more comfortable position. In my mind I was succesfuly moving my legs and arms but when I looked down at my body I never moved haha. It's just trippy, but it never leaves me scared or disturbed. All in all not really a problem, just weird.