Guest tabster1

Cataplexy With No Trigger

30 posts in this topic

i've been  on lamictal for over ten years, at the top amount possible. finally am getting doc to take me off it since it isnt doing anything for me anymore.   not sure what we will try next. good luck with it..hope it works!

Thanks for the fast replies everyone! To answer your question exanimo: I had literally JUST woken up. I think I got about 8 or 9 hours of sleep and I can usually function pretty well on that.

The stress thing explains alot. I never experienced severe cataplexy until I came to this school and started getting freaked out by the people and the classes. Before then it was just a mild weak "feeling". I actually think I was starting to cause them for a bit because the more I worried about having an attack the more attacks I would have. Like a weird anxiety cataplexy cycle.

Although it could be something that was just going to happen anyway as I now fall over when I laugh and that never happened. Being suddenly surprised doesn't trigger it at all though, but getting really nervous or angry does. I don't really understand it.

Good to know that people have it from general stress/social anxiety though.

I have the same problem!! I was beginning to think for a while that maybe the cataplexy part of my diagnoses may have been a mistake.. but i too suffer from agoraphobia ( afraid to go places because im so anxious about my anxiety it causes panic atacks) and i also have more of a cataplexy reaction with anger, and none with laughter, as they say the number one trigger is.

I get "that" feeling/sensation in the back of the head too...in the area just where your skull joins the spinal column. I know it's gonna be a bad day while waiting for the inevitable to happen. 

Man, that nails it.  Exactly that spot.  

I have the same problem!! I was beginning to think for a while that maybe the cataplexy part of my diagnoses may have been a mistake.. but i too suffer from agoraphobia ( afraid to go places because im so anxious about my anxiety it causes panic atacks) and i also have more of a cataplexy reaction with anger, and none with laughter, as they say the number one trigger is.

I get it with laughter, awe, shock, surprise, pride (like I just cracked a funny joke and everybody is laughing with me)... but I didn't used to get it with any of those.  It "grew" to those.  It was always anger at first, and never laughter.  Now it's not just anger, but anger is by far the worst in terms of frequency and strength.  Take it from me, traditional cataplexy can manifest primarily with anger quite well.

Thanks for putting a name to that *ahem* trigger Andrew! 

I was amazed to read how your C is so specifically triggered when you use yr sense o' humor, public speaking vs sitting in class. Cat is a crazy thing indeed.