Photo

What To Do If Your Dorm Is Loud And Theres No Where Else To Turn

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 novacat

novacat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:horse back riding, hiking, eating chocolate, sleeping, helping others, learning things, music, guitar sometimes, hanging out with my dog(:

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

So I have the loudest neighbors on the planet. They are keeping me awake until 1 or 2 am every night and I have early classes most days. The days I cant get enough sleep I try to go to class, today I missed my 830 though. Those days I go to class but then sleep the rest of the day because i feel so crappy(I have narc + pots+ autonomic involvement). I've already had to move from a double to a single because my roommate was keeping me up. Now, my RA doesnt enforce quiet hours. I've emailed her twice, talked to my neighbors, and talked to my RA in person twice to no avail. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have an experience like this? What did you do? I am literally getting sick and feeling so much worse than i need to. when i get enough sleep i can feel almost normal but without enough sleep i get so so sick :(

#2 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Minnesota

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

It sounds like they have you in a freshman dorm. Freshmen just need to let it out that first year. There must be some on campus living situation for serious students. When I was a college freshman I was able to get into an upperclassman dorm. It was much quieter especially at night. I think you should go to the disabilities office and see what else they can find for you. You are a student and have a right to a quiet environment. Stick to your guns, be a pest and don't let anyone steal your education from you.
Let us know what happens.

#3 novacat

novacat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:horse back riding, hiking, eating chocolate, sleeping, helping others, learning things, music, guitar sometimes, hanging out with my dog(:

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

The dorm has people from all years living here, but the noisy ones are the freshman. I wish this school had a quiet dorm, I would live there in a heartbeat. I'm going to email my disability advisor soon, and ask him what the steps should be. Really it's only the one dorm next to me, hopefully the RA's will try to quiet them because they really are violating rules and I have no problem filing an official complaint if they tell me the only thing that can be done is for me to move. I literally find that so ridiculous because I'm not the one breaking rules. Thanks for the affirmation, i'm going to stick to my guns and make sure that the RA does their job and the rules are enforced. Im pretty sure I'm not the only one that dislikes the noise theyre making. They are in violation of the housing contract they signed, I researched it all and I know that I am well within my rights so I'll have no issues resolving this problem. The college can ask them to move dorms due to their noise if it continues.

#4 sleepylune

sleepylune

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

I just wanted to take a moment and let you know that you are an amazing person. I read a post earlier, but I can't find it now, about your experiences at school and that your first roommate was a total monster. It's ridiculous that bullying like that exists in college, but it does. I went through it too. You are incredibly strong and brave. You stuck up for yourself and did what you needed to do to take care of yourself. Now that you at least have your own space, the fight is not over. I take this up higher. If your RA isn't doing anything, who is her supervisor? There is no reason this should be happening to you. I'm so sorry that it is. At one point in my struggle with my roommates, I wrote a letter to the dean. Though there was nothing he could do to stop them (we were living off campus) he did offer his support.

As far as making yourself more comfortable in your room... have you tried a sound machine to drown out noise? Or putting a towel under the door to block noise coming in? I know dorm walls are paper thin, and sometimes hanging tapestries can insulate slightly. This might make your room stuffy though. I'm sorry I don't have better suggestions :(

#5 novacat

novacat

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

I just wanted to take a moment and let you know that you are an amazing person. I read a post earlier, but I can't find it now, about your experiences at school and that your first roommate was a total monster. It's ridiculous that bullying like that exists in college, but it does. I went through it too. You are incredibly strong and brave. You stuck up for yourself and did what you needed to do to take care of yourself. Now that you at least have your own space, the fight is not over. I take this up higher. If your RA isn't doing anything, who is her supervisor? There is no reason this should be happening to you. I'm so sorry that it is. At one point in my struggle with my roommates, I wrote a letter to the dean. Though there was nothing he could do to stop them (we were living off campus) he did offer his support.

As far as making yourself more comfortable in your room... have you tried a sound machine to drown out noise? Or putting a towel under the door to block noise coming in? I know dorm walls are paper thin, and sometimes hanging tapestries can insulate slightly. This might make your room stuffy though. I'm sorry I don't have better suggestions :(

Thank you for saying that! it really is so reassuring knowing that there are people who are going through/went through the same things and understand what im going through! My sound machine should be here by tomorrow thank goodness, hopefully it will help and if not im going to keep pestering my RA until some action is taken. i know i can file a formal complaint to residence life too but that involves a whole court and everything so im going to wait and see if the RA gets better at their job first. thank you for your advice :)

#6 Guest_tabster1_*

Guest_tabster1_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

So I have the loudest neighbors on the planet. They are keeping me awake until 1 or 2 am every night and I have early classes most days. The days I cant get enough sleep I try to go to class, today I missed my 830 though. Those days I go to class but then sleep the rest of the day because i feel so crappy(I have narc + pots+ autonomic involvement). I've already had to move from a double to a single because my roommate was keeping me up. Now, my RA doesnt enforce quiet hours. I've emailed her twice, talked to my neighbors, and talked to my RA in person twice to no avail. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have an experience like this? What did you do? I am literally getting sick and feeling so much worse than i need to. when i get enough sleep i can feel almost normal but without enough sleep i get so so sick :(

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I started off with a roommate who kept me up all the time, then finally got moved to a private room on the ground floor right next to the exit. It was so loud, I started wearing earplugs to sleep, with headphones on top playing white noise, and a white noise machine in the background. Still woke up. I also used towels to plug up the space between the bottom of the door and the floors.

Eventually my parents threw enough of a fit that they gave me an on-campus apartment that are reserved for non traditional students and families. So it's a much older crowd here and I have seen a definite decrease in noise level. I still wear earplugs to sleep because the people above me watch tv at night. It's annoying, but at least I don't have to deal with people just socializing in the hallways or running up and down screaming because they are drunk.

I would suggest that you try earplugs, I've found that they drown out the lower pitched, background noises enough for me to sleep but I can still hear my alarm and not sleep through that. White noise machines are good too. I can't sleep without mine. See if you can get moved to an upperclassman dorm or apartment. Also, my school has specific "quiet" floors where you have to sign an agreement to follow the quiet hours. Now these can still be loud and depending on when their quiet hours are you can still get screwed over. One of the dorms they were only midnight to 6 and not even enforced. So it depends on the amount of people on your floor and how loud they are. But I know there are some floors with only a few people so those are much quieter.

#7 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

I got to thinking back to when I was in college. the dorm was noisey at times, so I eventually moved out to my own apartment. The problem was that the apartment was so quiet I could not stay awake to study and I had to go back to campus every night to study in on of the dorms.

#8 novacat

novacat

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

I got my white noise machine in the mail and I've been sleeping like a baby with it!! Best purchase ever. Plus my RA has issued warnings to the loud neighbors. I am just so happy to actually be sleeping again. Thank you for your advice and tips :) really this website is the most helpful place

#9 Asleeper

Asleeper

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I glad to hear thing are going better !

#10 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

I got to thinking back to when I was in college. the dorm was noisey at times, so I eventually moved out to my own apartment. The problem was that the apartment was so quiet I could not stay awake to study and I had to go back to campus every night to study in on of the dorms.

That's when you turn on the tv in the background and put it on something meaningless like Robot chicken.